Echostar 19 Gen5 plans to be announced next month

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxbrook
Sophomore

Echostar 19 Gen5 plans to be announced next month

It will be interesting to see what the new plans look like.

From here: http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/12/15/satellite-that-will-beam-high-speed-internet-across-america-rea...

“Our North American team is currently developing the new HughesNet Gen5 plans that will be available on EchoStar 19. As you may be aware, subscriber online time and video consumption have continued to increase. And today’s subscribers are looking for faster speeds and higher data caps.

“With HughesNet Gen5 we’ll be offering more data and materially higher speeds than we are today, and in addition built-in Wi-Fi and a range of features to enable our customers to optimize their online experience.”

Using satellites 22,300 miles away to supply Internet connections is geared to regions where terrestrial networks like cable and fiber are unavailable.

“Our target markets will continue to be the geographies not penetrated by cable and fiber, and we believe that the improved service offering will allow us to expand our addressable market of underserved homes,” Kaul said.

“We intend to announce our Gen5 service plans and pricing in January, followed by pre-launch marketing. We are obviously very excited about launching the new Gen5 service on Echo 19 Jupiter 2.”

20 REPLIES 20
Liz

We can't wait until you see what we have in store for you!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

She might not be seen here anymore if she did. You know how it works. Info, like other things, always rolls downhill.
Liz

LOL yes, I'd like to keep getting paid.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I would never tell a soul >.>

Hopefully the data allowances this time around will be plentiful... I know of a few rural private schools that need more than DSL, but use a good bit of data... Sat would be a good fit if they could get the Ultra service plan at a minimum.

Right now I have them behind SQUID with an average hit rate of 45%, and they still consume 50GB of data roughly per month here lately... Stupid kids and HD youtube -.-
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That may be possible at first but I fear the longer it is operational it will eventually go back to beam/gateway loading determining prices for those on heavily loaded ones.

Hopefully the new satellite and upgraded/new gateways will have enough capacity for that to be a long way down the road.

Personally I would jump on what they offer quickly so it gets locked in. Just my thinking on it, especially if a legacy Gen3 Spaceway plan person.

There most likely will always be some geographic element involved because of different population densities and availability or non-availability of other providers in different beam locations.

Me just spit balling like I tend to do.  🙂
kenmartin01

I hope the new Gen 5 modems have a wired connection too. I have the dish on a building over 100 feet from my house!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ken, the connection from the dish to the modem is always wired at this point in the technology, even Gen5.
kenmartin01

I'm talking about from the modem to my router! I'm using cat 7 cable from my Gen4 modem to my router in the House.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Cat7 isn't exactly a IEEE/TIA standard for network cabling... The highest grade verified and compliant is actually Cat6A (not e... E is NOT a standard for networking either).  But, the modems will have wired connectivity available as always.
kenmartin01

I just checked and it was 200ft Cat6 Outdoor Waterproof Ethernet Cable Direct Burial 200 ft (600 MHZ) Shielded.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Oh I see now, you're running Ethernet from where the dish and modem is located a good bit away. Was confused by your first post. What you have now should also work with Gen5.
kenmartin01

Thank you, Corrosive and BirdDog. Now if the data increase is enough? I already have 50 Gig a month. Still with 4 users having more would be better! Netflix, Amazon Prime etc...
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
kenmartin01

I have a run to the router in the house and then one back to a old computer in the outbuilding. Two PC's hardwired from the router in the house and one PC is wifi. Everything works great!
mrmaples
Sophomore

I'm getting 231kbps down and 119kbps up, I have 10% packet loss, and Chris is all but ignoring my thread. I just want the 10/1 I pay $75 a month for.
captainjapan3
New Poster

January has come and gone, so where is the announcement about gen 5 plans and pricing?
flyingpig

Can someone explain why I can not get a larger package in 'my area'?  What am I farther from the satellites?  What am I 22,300 miles and 10 feet away?  20 GIG tops when I know there are 50 Gig packages elsewhere.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It depends on the loading of the satellite beam and gateway serving your area. The 50 GB plan is only available in a few areas and I have it but it is no longer available for new customers where I live.

Simply put, fewer people using it in a given area means higher plans for that area.
Liz

Good morning,

We’re still in the process of finalizing service plans for our new satellite and should have more details later this quarter. Nothing has been announced to the general public yet.

However, from the new plans you can expect:
  • Additional data allowance
  • Enhanced download speeds
  • Enhanced upload speeds
You can also sign up for updates on Gen5 here: https://www.hughesnet.com/gen5

-Liz