cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echostar 19 and ping

New Poster

Re: Echostar 19 and ping

Most Geostationary Orbit (GSO) satellites are at an altitude of approximately 35,786 km above the equator.  I really wonder about the altitude HughesNet is using,  when they quote a delay of  700 ms to 1400 ms - perhaps it is the extra delays I talk about below.

if you are located on the equator and are communicating with a satellite directly overhead then the total distance, single hop  (up and down) is nearly 72,000 km so the time delay is 240 ms( speed of light is 300,000 km per second).   mS means millisecond or 1 thousandth of a second so 240 mS is just under a quarter of a second.

Extra delays occur due to the length of cable extensions at either end, and very much so if a signal is routed by more than one satellite hop.

Significant delay can also be added in routers, switches and signal processing points along the route.

Note. If you are located at the edges of a geosync satellite's coverage, you can expect approximately 280 ms delay.

Distinguished Professor IV

With the exception of a few things, like online fast turn games and/or VPNs, a latency of 700ms isn't going to have much of an important effect.  With most everything people do using internet access, three quarters of a second isn't all that important.  

Are you using the net for something in which a 700ms latency causes concern?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

It is a one way system so 4 trips to complete a roundtrip communication. Up to satellite, back to ground gateway and internet, back up to satellite and finally back to you. So 4 times 22.3K miles.
Assistant Professor

Theoretical fastest latency is around 500ms but yes, there is delay in the equipment side and the internet.
Advanced Tutor

Most Geostationary Orbit (GSO) satellites are at an altitude of approximately 35,786 km above the equator.  I really wonder about the altitude HughesNet is using,  when they quote a delay of  700 ms to 1400 ms - perhaps it is the extra delays I talk about below.
All Geostationary satellites are very close to this height or, by definition, they would not be geo-stationary. HughesNet satellites are geo-stationary, so they are at the same altitude as other geo-stationary satellites.
Note. If you are located at the edges of a geosync satellite's coverage, you can expect approximately 280 ms delay.
Per Birdog, this is not correct. To complete the 90.000 mile round trip circuit to the NOC and back, minimum latency will be at least double this figure. 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Junior

light doesn't travel at 300,000 km/s in an atmosphere, only in an open vacuum such as space. Air slows it down, the value for air is 1.00054. Although it's only a small amount (btw moisture can make a much larger difference) when you multiply it by the distances involved the time increases more than you previously calculated.

Don  Smiley Happy
Sophomore

Space X has leased a 42,000sq ft building near Seattle and either is or will be hiring engineers. They are very serious about this and plan to use revenues to fund their Mars missions and colonization.

Through Project Fi, I have wifi calling but due to Hughes' latency it's of no use to me. I can call or receive calls from understanding friends but if I try to call anyone else, including my dentist, they will hang up before I can say anything because they think it's a bogus call. Thank you Hughes Net.

The idea of being able to make calls with no noticeable latency in my remote location is super appealing to me but it would also be appealing to anyone anywhere who has wifi enabled calling on their phones.
Advanced Tutor

Through Project Fi, I have wifi calling but due to Hughes' latency it's of no use to me. I can call or receive calls from understanding friends but if I try to call anyone else, including my dentist, they will hang up before I can say anything because they think it's a bogus call. Thank you Hughes Net.
There are several VoIP applications, and many were not designed to work with the natural latency and higher "jitter" over a satellite connection. This is a problem not just with HughesNet.

Some third-party VoIP services work better (read "less worse') over satellite than others; SKYPE and Net2Phone are two.

HughesNet has always expressly disclaimed support for VoIP, other than their own HughesNet Voice service. And they have no control how third parties design their VoIP apps.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Distinguished Professor IV

That's interesting.  It's an example of where it could be a problem that I had never thought of, but I can certainly understand it.  If I receive a call and don't get a confirmation to my "hello" right away I assume it's a robo call and hang up.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit