cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Educating customers in how to set there computers to use data as efficiently as possible!

Educating customers in how to set there computers to use data as efficiently as possible!

I really think it is important for old and new customers to know how to set their computers to use data as efficiently as possible these days, since it is costly to have an ISP and be connected no matter who the provider is! I have learned that I am buying data by the GB to be online and do the things I want and need to do, so I don't want to waste my precious data on every software companies update downloads and security software's constant drain of your paid for data. It has been suggested to me that I install a file download management program so that I may schedule downloads for off peak hours and install when I want to. Also if you use windows products, you can set Windows update to notify you when update other than critical ones are downloaded and install. I would like to hear more suggestions of ways to manage precious data that I pay to use and not let software apps take all my data for their use. It's not right for people to buy data and connect to the internet only to watch companies who didn't pay use it up and charge you for their services as well. This is just wrong in my opinion! What do you think? How can Hughes help customers work around this and get more satisfaction from the service provider? Thank you all who participate in this conversation. Have fun everyone! 
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Educating customers in how to set there computers to use data as efficiently as possible!

artman2020--- everyone's computers are different, as to the software that's installed and all the different downloads already installed, and your post is interesting but in same words is a multiple layered post , adware , ad blockers , security , and taking the time to set the settings as to when you wish them down-loaded and installed etc.---everyone;s computer is general setup totally different as the more i was in here i came to realize , this fact  !!!  so taking time to make all your settings is worth your time as it is your DATA- MONEY !!!!there are a lot more knowledgeable  members in here that can and will give great advise !!!  and more comments as well  !!!!
Alum

Re: Educating customers in how to set there computers to use data as efficiently as possible!

Hi Artman,

I see this is your first post so welcome to the community! We would be glad to offer you some insight and tips on how to manage your data usage. The internet is ever changing and we realize it is not always easy to keep track of everything that could be using data on your network. Here some tips:

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

I hope this helps you and any other new community members.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Christopher, you are so right, everyone's machine is set up differently and they have different selections of apps/software. I am learning slowly how to control some of the software and make it do what I want instead of just going with default settings.

Actually it's not my first, my first post was about DDDD , lol that thing somebody called (Dreaded Data Drain Disease) haha . I was frustrated because I pay premium price for a block of data to use and every software provider from here to China was using it up downloading updates and crashing my system so that I had to restore OS and that uses a whole ton of data also!  But thanks for the welcome post. and the heads up on auto play video!

Jezra, I am following this post, but I wanted to apologize for my verbal assault yesterday. I am terribly sorry for "yelling" at you. Yours was the last in the thread. I was feeling not only insecure but a little stupid. I should have used that thread of comments to apologize, but I am taking the opportunity now. Your  #1, #2 advice was very simple and to the point. Again, I my apologies. I'm a little inappropriately defensive at times. 

Hughsnet us just as bad. Now they hate blocked Safari 6.0. I have IE, Chrome, & Firefox because of the popups and virus problems. Safari has been wonderful but now we can't use it on Hughesnet because it won't run on windows. Some brain trust here plugged in an upgrade. Why??

They "have" blocked Safari 6.0.   I "hate" IE, Chrome, etc because of various problems..... long day already

So why did Hughes block Safari 6.0?  Does anyone know? 
Associate Professor