cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly Mother Scammed

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Elderly Mother Scammed

The successful recourse is dependent on the Community Mods.

Being as they are located in the Hughes Germantown, MD. headquarters and are usually work 9-6ish M-F and are likely gone for the day I would advise to hold tight for 24 to 48 hours to give them time to investigate and respond.

Despite what you may have seen or read elsewhere I'm sure Hughes is not out to "scam" the elderly in any way but at the same time they need to verify facts so that other users don't "scam" Hughes as a way of doing an end-around on the ETF.

Give things a little time to run the course, if the facts bear out what you have posted I'm sure Hughes will do, or cause DTV to do what is right and proper....

Please, rest easy that you are at the "top of the food chain" support wise ... let the process work.

Thanks everyone.  I wasn't sure how the process worked?  I will hold tight.
Associate Professor

If your mother was a direct customer (As in, signed up directly through Hughesnet and not a third party), typically Hughes would pull the sales call, listen, and take action based upon what they find during the sales call... However, with this being via DTV...  You may have to ask them to review their own sales call...  It's a tricky subject/issue.
Assistant Professor

And HughesNet doesn't need their third party re-sellers making them look worse. This bundling thing with satellite TV is a train wreck IMO. Especially when they tell people they can hook up the TV box to the Hughes service and forget about it.

what are they going to do to your mother  sue her?  i doubt that.... ruin her credit?  tell em to "git er done".. the problem is that she needs her internet.. call a congressman and raise some hell.. a lot of people have done that and a t and t is coming to our rescue   IN MY LIFETIME? i doubt it but it may help you out..  they are talking like 6 years from now the internet will be available for rich people who moved or live in the country where there is nothing   nothing... 
the damned night call from the crickets and the desalation of the country loses its grandour.. 
exc my spelling.. pls..
Honorary Alumnus

Jdypat,
Get real. This is a user with a real issue.
It doesn't need "personal views", ir doesn't need "opinions" it DOES need the input of a corprorate Hughes Rep.
Give it brake, not a "axe grind".
Highlighted

How about this since it sounds like she might only have sat as a choice for internet, list the tricks used by most of us to reduce wasted data. Like turning off auto videos and advertisements. Find out how she's using it that might have her going through her data so quickly. 

The community can do that even if it was through DTV. 
Honorary Alumnus

That we can but it would help to know her present system:

Modem: HN9000 or HT1000/1100  ?

Plan level: ... IE 15/50, 50/50 GB ?

Operating system ?

A/V ?

Router or direct connect ?

What is the default browser ?

How does she access email (web or client ?)

That is a start

Assistant Professor

OK, don't plug the DirecTV box into the HughesNet modem for starters. Ad blockers on all browsers.
Associate Professor

Yes, AT&T is "coming to our rescue" with 5GB of data for $50 a month via 4G-LTE.  Strangely, AT&T agreed to roll out DSL services to ALL BellSouth customers when AT&T gobbled south up.  Yeah, 10+ years later, and the phone lines barely work anymore due to neglect via AT&T, and no sight of that promised DSL rollout that BellSouth was actively working on prior to being bought up.