Hughesnet Community

Email Filters Only Function Don’t Function When Using Outlook or IPad or Iphone Mail

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chewwie
Freshman

Email Filters Only Function Don’t Function When Using Outlook or IPad or Iphone Mail

Getting a lot of junk email from scammers.  Set up filters to delete based on originators domain.  Hoped this would eliminate this junk.  Unfortunately, the filters don't work if getting mail thru Ipad mail, Iphone mail, or Outlook on desktop.  Filters only function when logged into MyHughesNet email.

Data is wasted getting this junk in email.

Any suggestions on how to filter at the source so I don't have to download them and then delete them.

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

As you noted, the filter is a fuction of the web application, not at the server. That would require something like spamassassin or other qmail/procmail type script. Unfortunately, the email server is owned and under the control of a subcontractor and I don't think they employ anything like that.

One thing you can do is to not use your email address as a login to any mailing lists or other web sites that might sell it to a prospective spammer, or leave it out in the open on any websites that may be scanned for such things. Create a honeypot email address on gmail (or other) and use that instead.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Chewwie 

Another idea that kind of adds on to what Mark mentioned about getting another email is to do so, such as Gmail, then forward your HughesNet emails from the webmail site to that new Gmail.  Then you can set up your devices to access/get the new Gmail.  This way you can still use and get your HughesNet email the way you would like AND take advantage of the filtering at the HughesNet webmail site.  

Granted, it is adding another email into the mix, but it will still allow you to use and access your HughesNet email in the way you prefer.

Hope this helps.  🙂