Email inop

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javapoppa
Freshman

Email inop

Account: [edited to protect your privacy] Current statusCan log onto Hughes web mail and can send mail but cannot receive.Was unable to log on until after calling Customer Service around 0900 11/3; log on was enabled around 1515 and all back mail was downloaded but the only new mail received was a message was from Hughes Customer Service asking me to complete a survey which arrived at 1533. No new incoming since then and clicking on Get Mail tab produces nothing. Outlook ExpressCannot send or receive e-mail. Using the Outlook Test Account Settings function shows a successful logon to the incoming account server but attempting to send a test message resulted in the diagnostic: Server responded 550 5.7.1 [C18] RBL restr. Attempts to send mail leads to notice Smiley Frustratedend/receive failed. Account: [edited to protect your privacy] Current statusCan log on to HughesNet site but cannot open email. Receive diagnostic message: There may be an issue with your account. Please contact Customer Care. Apple emailCannot send mail. Diagnostic: The attempt to send data to the server failed.Cannot receive mail. Diagnostic: Unable to verify account name or password. According to first level tech support, advanced tech suggests that we contact Oulook and Apple for solutions to our problems.Not too bizarre; we are supposed to believe that both of those email programs failed at the same time and in the same manner which caused the Hughes system to become inop. Puhleeze. Can't anyone there play this game anymore? Donald Ecker

17 REPLIES 17
Liz

Hi javapoppa,

Thanks for reaching out. Are you able to see new mail via webmail (click on My Email in the top right corner of your Support Center)? On either e-mail address?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

My original post was edited such that it doesn't make much sense. Toclarify, we have two problematic email accounts, one which is used primarily with Outlook and one with Netscape. Both accounts went into failure mode and in both cases we were unable to log on to HughesNet web mail. At this time web mail is accessible by one account, the other still receives the notice that there is a problem with the account. I can now receive mail using Outlook but cannot send. Calling Customer Support at level one is a waste of time as they cannot solve the problem and it requires lengthy explanations to explain it to them. This, coupled with long wait times to get connected  leads only to frustration. There has tobe a better way.

Hi javapoppa,

Thanks for clarifying. Can you confirm that you can send and receive e-mail from both accounts in webmail? If you are having issues sending and receiving emails in webmail, I can certainly escalate that to our e-mail admins.

Where are you seeing a "notice that there is a problem with the account"?

While we have no control over 3rd party e-mail clients you may use to access your HughesNet e-mail, what you can try is removing and re-adding the addresses to see if that makes a difference.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I guess I didn't clarify enough. We have two email accounts, both of which failed, while at the same time we were denied access to web mail. When attempting to open theweb mail we received a message stating: "There may be an issue with your account. Please contact Customer Care..." After a call to Customer Care and a six hour delay we were able to access  one web mail account but for a number of hours we could only receive mail but could not send. At present this web mail account is fully operational. However the Outlook account associated with this account can only receive mail; it cannot send. While you may have no control over 3rd party email accounts you can cause a disruption by altering email protocols so that they are denied access to your server. These email disruptions occurr about once a year and I strongly suspect that they correlate with updates that are made to the Hughes system wherein someone got a little sloppy with the code. The second account is stuck at square one and still receives the message as stated above when access to web mail is attempted.

Beginning Day 4 of our Hughes induced email outage. No change from our status as listed in previous post. No estimate from Hughes as to when they will finally put things right.

Good morning javapoppa,

Can you please send me a screenshot of the error your other e-mail address is receiving after you click on the My Email link? Is this is "island" account?

Hello Liz: Thanks for taking the time to respond but there is no need to pass any information with regard to my problem on to Hughes tech as they are well aware what's happening. They just don't know what to do to resolve it. I have been told that they are 'working on it' but are unable to provide an estimate as to when it will be fixed.

Beginning Day 5 of the Great Hughes Email Debacle. Current status: One account has fully functional web mail but associated Oulook email account can only receive, not send.

The second account can now open web mail but it is slow and erratic. Will open one or two emails but then offers a message in a box labelled Work in Progress which says: "The server or the network is slow to respond. To cancel your request press Cancel Request."  If the page is refreshed it is possible to send one message or to read one or two messages before the error message pops up again.

Note to Liz: This is not caused by a Third Party email program.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It may be to your advantage to send the screenshots Liz asked for and to answer her question. If you decline cooperating with her requests, you may as well just sit tight until they finish "working on it." No need to provide updates about how your email isn't working yet. They know that; the rep has asked you for data; help your case by providing what's requested. 

Thank you for your suggestion. I have made numerous calls to lower level Hughes tech support, who in turn contact Advanced tech support, who are well aware of the problems we are having. They have never relayed a request for screen shots of my error messages or for any other details with regard to our malfunction for that matter. After all, these error messages do originate with Hughes, not with some third party, so they know what we are seeing. The only response from Advanced tech to date is a message via lower level tech that they are working on it. I hate to sound churlish but after four plus days that's not very reassuring; it does get a bit frustrating.

maratsade

There's a certain procedure to get things done on this site.  Your choice to do them or not, of course, but if you don't provide the information requested, you won't get help on this site.  You can of course continue working with the phone reps as you were before. 

I didn't know that we had to make a choice and were restricted to only one approach in seeking solutions to problems with the Hughes systems. You have been very helpful. Now, could you provide some means for us to reach you so that you can explain to my wife why her email is still not working after almost five days?

maratsade

866-347-3292

Looks familiar.

GabeU

@javapoppa wrote:

I didn't know that we had to make a choice and were restricted to only one approach in seeking solutions to problems with the Hughes systems.

You aren't restricted to one or the other, but if you want Liz's help you'll need to answer her questions and provide what she asks for.  

With that said, something that may help you to decide whether you want Liz's help is that, unlike the phone reps, Liz is a corporate employee with direct access to the engineers.  After fifteen years as a HughesNet customer, I can tell you that if I need help and I still have internet access, I don't bother calling them.  I go straight to the source, as do just about all of the other "regulars" here, with that "source" being the corporate reps who help via this support community.

So Gabe, are you a "regular" here because you have had so many problems with the Hughes system that you just stay permanently logged on or is it because you just don't anything better to do?  I have been a reluctant user of HughesNet for twelve years and have experienced periodic periods of email outage which I believe have been mostly self induced by Hughes when they perform maintainance on the system. When these outages occurr it really doesn't matter who you call or contact, it takes a long time before things are put right and all user interfaces are back to normal. Rather than use this forum as a back door to preferential treatment, I would prefer to see it as a portal direct to the tech personnel who are actually doing the work, that is available to all, so as eliminate the long wait times when holding on the phone and relaying information via lower level tech support. Posted problems could  be sorted and dealt with on a rotary with those more general, and affecting the most customers, dealt with first.  For more general problems a daily note posted here or added as a bulletin to the phone support autoanswering system would eliminate a lot of unnecessary phone calls as well. Until Gen 5 arrives in rural areas we are stuck with services such as Hughes but it could be a lot better.

GabeU

@javapoppa wrote:

So Gabe, are you a "regular" here because you have had so many problems with the Hughes system that you just stay permanently logged on or is it because you just don't anything better to do?   

No.  Actually, I'm a regular here because I enjoy using my knowledge and experience with HughesNet to help those who are having issues with their service and to help people get the most out of the same, though I'm sure you thought your condescending little dig would have me running for the corner as a blubbering mess.  Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the concept, but it's called giving of oneself.

@javapoppa wrote:

When these outages occurr it really doesn't matter who you call or contact, it takes a long time before things are put right and all user interfaces are back to normal.  

And it takes even longer when a rep tries to help you and you treat that attempt as frivolous.  And it's not preferential treatment.  It's simply a method of getting help that is staffed by corporate reps.  

Good luck to you.