Email logout issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Email logout issue

When I log out from Webmail and then log back in, I'm not asked for my crendentials again. I'm automatically logged in to the same account.  Just wanted to report that the logout is not really a logout. 

74 REPLIES 74

Good morning Oletrapper,

Thank you for your update. Our folks are still working on this, so I'm also waiting on news from them. I'll keep you posted here.

I appreciate your patience.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz wrote:

Good morning Oletrapper,

Thank you for your update. Our folks are still working on this, so I'm also waiting on news from them. I'll keep you posted here.

I appreciate your patience.

-Liz

Good morning Liz,

I had some time this morning to try a few comparisons between FF and Crome. I have found that when using Crome as browser and logging out of a hughes email account, I am taken back to the hughes portal. Once there, if I click on email it takes me back to the email account I just signed out of. This is the same problem they are trying to correct.

When using FF browser and logging out of an email account, it just sits there. It does not take me to the hughes portal.  The mystery continues.

Have a great day.

OT

Two things I'm thinking of:
1. The browser retained the login credentials and is automatically logging back in using those credentials, similar to a previously saved login, and/or

2. When you log in a secure cookie is created containing the login information and it's not being properly destroyed upon logout.

Thinking that #2 might be the most likely.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I hope it's the option that can be fixed more quickly, so those who use Webmail can log out fully without having to exit the browser.

Well, I tried usng the webmail in FF. After getting past the login, it attempted to download what appeared to be a very large javascript for about 5 minutes, then stopped and did nothing. I examined the page to see what the javacript (and accompanying css) was named but forgot to copy it down. #oneofthosedays

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Good effort on the part of Webmail...needs to try harder next time, though. 

As for you...what happened? Squirrel? 😉

squirrel.jpg

Tried Chrome, and it worked as @maratsade said, follwing an initial login. Logged out, then clicked My Email in the upper right, and it reloaded almost immediately using the cached javascript & css without having to log in again.

The only way you can force it to log in again is to kill Chrome completely, then use the My Email link. It will still use the cached versions of js/css from before, but will require you to log in through skylogin.

Based on this, clearly a cookie expiration thing.

Now to find out why Firefox went catatonic...

maratsade

I hope they will fix the cookie issue so people don't have to exit the browser.

Well, here's something interesting. Added authorize.myhughesnet.com and email.hughes.net to my ad blocker's white list, then killed Firefox.

Restarted Firefox and went directly to email.hughes.net, which prompted me to log in via skylogin - it did it's thing but sent me back to myhughesnet instead of the email app.

Clicked on My Email, and it sent me directly to the email app, which then ran like it did using Chrome.

Great, so I then logged out of the email app and killed the tab. Opened a new tab and went to https://community.hughesnet.com (this site) and it re-started the email app! Clearly skylogin was re-using the cached email authorization cookie, which likely has a redirect on it.

So now I'm thinking there's not only a cookie problem, but something weird going on with the portal that brings all these things together via skylogin. Skylogin should be valiating which authorization cookie to use: email, community or account... it used to, but appears to be just using the last one it saw and redirecting to whatever that was.

It's quite possible that the email js/css was confused when trying to operate on the community web page and that's why it wasn't working properly when I tried it in Firefox before. lol

maratsade

So in short, it's gone wonky. 😜

So to speak...

A while back, if you got to skylogin first thing in the morning and had a saved password, a box would pop up and all you had to do was enter the password for your password cache and click 'ok', and I was logged into Community. I was always in the habit of hitting 'return' (no coffee) which would almost always send me to the hughesnet phantom zone ("...an error has occurred...").

Well someone fixed that recently by adding a popup that asks for you to enter your creds first. That part works great, but I wonder if that might have impacted the redirect issue.

maratsade

I've never seen a popup but often in the early morning I get an error message when trying to login; can't remember exactly what it says. Goes away a couple of hours later. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 3.18.06 PM.jpg

My login information is in the yellow boxes. I've just obfuscated them here for obvious reasons.

maratsade

Huh. I've never seen that. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

My login information is in the yellow boxes. I've just obfuscated them here for obvious reasons.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Tried Chrome, and it worked as @maratsade said, follwing an initial login. Logged out, then clicked My Email in the upper right, and it reloaded almost immediately using the cached javascript & css without having to log in again. 

Do you use tabs or do you open all of your tabs as new Windows?  

Also, is the Window/tab on which you're clicking "My Email" the same page which had been open in the email, but which you logged out from the email, and which had subsequently changed to myhughesnet.hughesnet.com?

The reason I ask is that when I log out of the email, but then click "My Email" to go back to the email, it asks me for my credentials, and I'm wondering if it's because all of my new tabs are opened as new windows instead of tabs, whereas you're using tabs (if you are).

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but clicking on My Email always opens up a new tab.

The way browsers are supposed to work, each tab should be isolated, and in it's own sandbox for security purposes, like a new window would.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but clicking on My Email always opens up a new tab.

The way browsers are supposed to work, each tab should be isolated, and in it's own sandbox for security purposes, like a new window would.

I have a Chrome extension that opens all new tabs as new windows instead.  Because of this, I was thinking that maybe that's why I'm not seeing what you guys are.  When I click on "My Email", it automatically opens a completely new Window for that email rather than a new tab on the existing Window.

Guess my point is that it really shouldn't matter if it's a tab or a window wrt to the cookies being used for authentication or redirection.

maratsade

In my experience, tabs are not isolated/sandboxed.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

I hope it's the option that can be fixed more quickly, so those who use Webmail can log out fully without having to exit the browser.

Well, the problem persists. It took Tech (IT) or whoever a year and a half to fix this the last time. That was under the old email format.  When they went to the new email format, which by the way sucks, the logout problem resurfaced. I will not live with this problem much longer as they are running fiber optics in my rural area. Woooot!

maratsade

I hope @Liz can give us an update on this. 

I wish they installed fiber in my area, but I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, as there doesn't seem to be interest from the county in improving internet access outside towns boundaries. 

@Oletrapper wrote:

Well, the problem persists. It took Tech (IT) or whoever a year and a half to fix this the last time. That was under the old email format.  When they went to the new email format, which by the way sucks, the logout problem resurfaced. I will not live with this problem much longer as they are running fiber optics in my rural area. Woooot!