Email still down

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimjumper
Sophomore

Email still down

Anybody heard when the email system might be back up? It's been since Monday for me.

22 REPLIES 22
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jimjumper 

What's the issue you're experiencing with your email?  Are you not able to sign into it, or do you try and it doesn't work?  

As far as I know, there's no known email issue.

I contacted tech support on Monday when I couldn't get mail at myhughes. They told me that the system had gone down during an update and that it affected all Hughes email users. They told me that it would take 3-5 days to repair. Hughes didn't lie to me again did they!?

Just went to mail.hughes.net. Got the following error "HTTP Error 403 Problem accessing /service/extension/saml2acs. Reason: The account cannot be accessed at this time.

Am I being BS'd or is this a problem they can't fix and they want me to go away?

Might be something specific to a group of users that you're a part of.

There was a problem with their authentication on Sunday, but I thought that was pretty much fixed by Sunday evening.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

After a long chat, the synopsis is: no one knows specifically who is affected. No one knows what the problem is but it has something to do with ongoing maintenance. No one knows when it will be completed. No one is able to post any update information on the website or request that that be done. Supervisors only receive advisories from Engineering so they have no information either. 

I also discovered that my account information is missing, which is worrisome. But they got my billing and payment information spot on! I think I will have to switch to Wild Blue when this is straightened out. 

Hello @Jimjumper

Thank you for reaching out to us. Currently, there is a partial outage impacting some customer's ability to access the HughesNet email account. Some users are able to login to the Customer Management center; however, when attempting to access their email they receive the 403 error. Engineering has identified the issue and is currently in the process of resolving this for everyone. We will most likely have this resolved within the week. I apologize for the inconvenience and I assure you we are working hard to recover this.    

-Damian      

Thanks, I'll pass that on to my Office Manager.

MarkJFine
Professor

Email's fine. No problems getting it through Outlook, nor via web mail.

Try clearing your cookies and history. If that doesn't work, try rebooting your modem.

Finally, if that doesn't work, there's likely a browser or email setting that's no longer working for you.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Jimjumper
Sophomore

Day 4. Still no notifications. No resolution. And no email!

maratsade

"But they got my billing and payment information spot on! I think I will have to switch to Wild Blue when this is straightened out. "

Why wait? If you're so unhappy, go to another provider and see if they are any better (spoiler: no).

Right. No choices out in the country where I live.

Because its a pain to notify everyone about a new  email. My plan, which Ive already started, is to switch email to a gmail account and then just use the hotspot on my Sprint phone for home use. Hughes is already too slow to stream any video and I can upgrade my phone to unlimited data for less than half what Hughes is charging. I  figure 4 months to make the email switch.

GabeU

@Jimjumper wrote:

Hughes is already too slow to stream any video 

I'd create a new topic if you're having a speed related issue.  There may be a remedy.   

Have you tried turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver?  Doing so may improve the streaming.  

BTW, something that satellite internet customers are increasingly using for streaming is PlayOn Cloud.  It gets around any buffering issue you might be having with the streaming, and you keep the shows/movies you download, being able to watch them again at any time without having to again use data to do so.  I've been using it for about five months now, and it's been working very well.  Granted, I went a little crazy and downloaded so much that I've run out of data a couple of times, never having done so prior to that, but it's still worth it.

That sounds intriguing. Ive never been able to get Hughes streaming for more than 15-20 minutes without it starting a long buffer process. But I have a satellite for TV, so I'm not too concerned about streaming. I was just making the point that for basic internet and email there are options. I am only still using Hughes out of convenience but that is wearing pretty thin. I shouldnt have to call them to get an update on issues that they already know are affecting me or going to affect me. Call me, give me advance notice, post a website notice, add an initial info recording on the support line, but ignoring your customers and pretending there isnt a problem is unsatisfactory.

Still down. Monday maybe?

Hopefully sooner?

I think after this episode I will forward my hughesnet mail to gmail.

But I wonder if this "update" impacted forwarding as well.

Oh well. JT

@Jimjumper,

Thank you again for your patience while dealing with this issue. I have been monitoring your account and it appears this issue has been resolved. Please clear your cache and cookies then check to see if your email is working again. 

-Damian    

@Jimjumper,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

-Damian  

Having same issue here Jim.

No email since Monday. Talked with several ill-equipped business support people. One send me a paid tech support line!?

Spoke with Matt today and he acknowledged the no access emai issue due to separating business and residential systems.

The 403 error is caused by the system update.

There are many business emails that I cannot access and they can't be forwarded.

I understand there are issues when updating but I use this service for business.

If anyone knows of any workarounds to access email please post here.

Thanks, John

GabeU

John2 and others, 

It's just a thought, and I don't know if it would help right now, but if you don't already use an email client, it might be a good idea to try one.  I used Thunderbird a while back, and it worked well with HughesNet's internet.  

I don't know for sure that the emails would still get through to the client, but if something occurs that's only a sign on issue to the email and the email itself still works, they probably still would. 

Again, this is only an idea.  I can't remember if there is a need to sign into the email on the Hughes site when setting up Thunderbird, but if it can be set up without needing to do that, it might still help in getting around the current issue, though I don't know if the current issue is related to the sign on or the email as a whole.