Erratic download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lothar0
Freshman

Erratic download speeds

Per my post in "Download speeds slowing down" I am a brand new user who's system has never worked properly since installation. My frustrations with the installer should be documented under trouble tickets 105366861 and 105377356. The complaint is erratic and sub par download speeds. The upload speeds are consistent and OK. 

most recent testsmost recent testscomplete testscomplete tests

TMN will not generate a URL for the complete test data at least not that I can find. To see these results in TMN click on the URL then select database, database lookup, member statistics, click the search tab then select search by user name lothar0.  http://testmy.net/quickstats/lothar0 

16 REPLIES 16
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

testmy.net has gone stupid...  If I click the link, as you said, no results, but if I refresh the page, they show up... bleh.

If possible, don't do any form of Auto Test, click the Download Test at the top, then click Manual Test Size and select 25MB in that....

Just to confirm... You are testing while directly connected to your HT2000w with a network cable, correct?

Also, curious, do you know what your IPGW is?  It's located under System Status on your HT2000w.  Mine for instance is J2SDO----------

I was on the phone for over an hour. Ticket 105426890. Finally they were convinced that I had a problem and it will be elevated to whoever the next level is. While support tries to be helpful, I think internal policies have them hamstrung. They insist they must follow a testing procedure regardless of its applicability. My commode won't flush. Well Mr Harris if you would put your washer on spin cycle and lets see what the toaster does. It's maddening! BTW my IPGW is  - J2CHY103HNSIGW0106. They did a reassociation and reboot on this last go round. It did not help http://testmy.net/db/2o5SwbpC8 . Interesting you say no autotest yet thats what they had me do. Finally tested using the Hughes test and they said they saw my results. I will not pay for a 2 MBPS download speed!

I've done everything I can think of on this end. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Lothar

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lothar0

If you were not aware, this is a different avenue of receiving help and different test protocols are utilized than what the phone reps requested.  The reps on here request that you run the tests using the manual 25MB download test size, as mentioned by Corrosive, as that is what the engineers request and need.  What you've already run is what you've already run, as it was what was requested by the phone reps, but the engineers will need at least a few 25MB tests to be run, and, if you are able, at a few differnent times of day.  

OK I understand. BYW the instructions do not mention Gen 5 or 25MB. It should probably be updated. We have wx here today so probably not a good time to test although sig is steady at 61. When the system came back on the IPGW and Outroute ID changed. Is it possible I'm on the fringe of a different spotbeam?

http://testmy.net/db/MdWyFQXN9

maratsade

You may want to login to run your tests; this way they will all be gathered under your stats page (http://testmy.net/quickstats/lothar0)

I am logged in. All the test results are available under lothar0

maratsade

Awesome, thanks. (ETA: you should post the link to all your results (http://testmy.net/quickstats/lothar0) instead of links to individual tests.  Makes more sense and gives a better sense of the big picture).

maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

He did, in his original post...

Yes, indeed.  I just thought it'd be more organized for him to post the link to all the results every time he posts a link.  This is probably just me, but I think links to individual results are less useful. YMMV, of course.

I have been running and will continue to run 25mb tests every so often. These results are all available under lothar0. I posted the individual results this AM just to help show the spot results. These results are also avaiable under lothar0. They are even broken down in a table giving file size and statistics. There is more than enough information in TMN to clearly show the sorry state of this installation. My question now is - will they do anything about it before the time expires for a cancellation? I will not accept a system that operates this poorly. I've also joined several groups on Facebook and so far the comments from other users are disheartening. I think my problem, and the problem of other users, stems from a poor installation. Installers must know that antenna pointing errors will affect download or upload speeds depending on which side of the beam the misalignment occurs. I've also read about spot beam errors in installation and the fact that my gateway changed seems to indicate that possibility.

maratsade

Your results are certainly less than stellar, Lothar. I do hope you find a solution to your problem. My results are also very varied but usually not as bad, though they never reach the heights other people experience.

Hello lothar0,

Thank you so much for posting and being proactive to log your speeds. I am going to issue a free complimentary site visit to repair your outdoor equipment and check the modem. I will send you a private message soon with more information. Thanks.

-Aedan
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@lothar0 wrote:

the fact that my gateway changed

Any time your modem reassociates with the Gateway Facility (which can be determined by the first 5 letters of your IPGW) your gateway can change, as well as the outroute ID.  This happens because the modem can't tell if it's a weather event, of if the actual gateway you are connected to went down, so it will try to reassociate to a different one should it lose association for any reason.

Forgot to mention most tests were direct to modem, all other ports empty and wifi turned off with pc in safe mode. I tried to convince them this was crazy because I get the same erratic results on my phone AND my Xbox. It is NOT terminal device dependent! Here is the katest test http://testmy.net/db/g78knzv95  Just aweful! 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@lothar0,

The automated test packages aren't accepted as they may provide inaccurate results, Gen5 subscribers must use a 25MB Manual Test Size package when testing via testmy.net.  Engineering will ignore all other package sizes.

While you no doubt have an issue, it will be tomorrow before a rep can respond at the soonest.