Hughesnet Community

Exceedingly CONSISTENT slow throttle speeds - .04MB/s (40 kbps, less than dialup)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christopher1
Sophomore

Exceedingly CONSISTENT slow throttle speeds - .04MB/s (40 kbps, less than dialup)

I'm a 10+ year Hughesnet customer. I do understand what it means to live with throttled DL speeds, and I AM PERFECLTY OK with it. But the previous month's DL speeds are consistently around .04 MB/s...nowhere near the lower 1-3 MB/s adverized throttled speeds. That's 4% less than the lowest throttled threshold. And the .04MB/s DL speed is the average morning, day and night, with only 1 PC connected via a LAN cable, wifi disabled on the modem. All sources or data uses have been thorouly eliminated.

I've called Support, and all I get is basically that I need to buy more tokens as there are no gurantees on DL speed. BUT... 40kbps consistenly all day long, every day ?? There is something VERY wrong here, and I can't tolerate this state of affairs much longer.

Any help available before I'm forced to canel the service ?

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The first thing you need to do to have this issue addressed here is to run speed tests to demonstrate the problem, so the techs can see what may be going on. The testing procedure is required to proceed. 

Follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

For more information on running these tests, check this page: https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/how-check-your-speed-performance

Thank you for the quick reply, will do as instructed.

Created a mytest.net account. Tried twice to conduct a 25 MB DL test. First run the DL started and 'froze' at 25% completed. Waited about an hour with no change. Started test again only to end up 25%. Waited another hour with no change.

So looks like I can'e even conduct a basic DL test.

GabeU

For the sake of clarity, 0.04MBps or 0.04Mbps?   0.04MBps is 0.32Mbps, or 320Kbps, not that 320Kbps isn't still low.

The reps can likely run remote diagnostics on your equipment to see if anything's amiss, and they might also have knowledge if anything is going on with your beam.  They'll need to locate your account to run the diagnostics, for which they may need some personal info, but they'll ask for it to be sent via private message, for which they'll provide a link.

It would likely also be a good idea to run a few tests to demonstrate the issue for the reps.  The protocol for the speed testing is below...

-----------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

For the sake of clarity, I did improperly use MBps insated of Mbps. I'm basing my conversion from SL speed numbers avering around the 40Kbps figure. Thanks for pointing that out.

this is something that started in Oct. normal FAP speed are 2 -6  but starting in Oct Hughesnet has FAP .30-.40 it takes 20 min plus to load the hughesnet page to even buy tokens.

I have called too many times about this it falls on deft ears.

I have been using this equipment starting in 2000 when it was direct way  I have installed over 25 systems and the Gen 5 i have installed 6 system in remote Alaska 

The trouble is with hughesnet and the changes the have applied to the FAP.

Chuck Gilbrech 

remote Alaska

I wish I could get even .3 Mbps. I'm getting about 10% of that. Based on you are saying this is known issue that Hughesnet is refusing to address.

maratsade

@Christopher1 

There is no evidence that the company has made any changes to their FAP policies. Unless the person making such a claim can provide company policy documents as evidence, their claim has no weight.

It would be wiser to wait until a rep (@Liz @Remy @Damian ) replies to your post and addresses the issue directly with you. 

GabeU

@cgilbrech wrote:

this is something that started in Oct. normal FAP speed are 2 -6  but starting in Oct Hughesnet has FAP .30-.40 it takes 20 min plus to load the hughesnet page to even buy tokens.

The trouble is with hughesnet and the changes the have applied to the FAP.

First, normal FAP speeds are not 2 - 6 Mbps and never have been.  Second, there is no evidence whatsoever that any changes have been made to FAP speed.  If there were, new advertisements would not continue to say 'typical speeds of 1 - 3Mbps' and would instead reflect an across the board change, which isn't the case.  FAP speeds can go down for a number of reasons, none of which have to do with anything deliberate.  Lastly, if FAP speeds were down across the board, or even at a single gateway, you'd be seeing far more than an occasional post here and there.

Rather than stirring things up with completely unsubstantiated claims, let the OP be helped by the reps.

maratsade

Additionally, the FAP documentation for Gen 5 states that "Reduced speeds may be as low as or lower than 1 Mbps and may cause Web sites to load more slowly or affect the performance of certain activities such as video streaming or large downloads/uploads."

Here is a more rational update to my situation. To Gabe's well made point about clarity, I DID have my Byte and bit declarations mixed up ! I
was finally able to perfrom some DL batches via TMN could get 25MB files to finish, so I used 12MB files with success.

Here is the results so far -
https://testmy.net/quickstats/FortyFeetBelow 

So if the data is correct, then I'm getting DL speeds closer to 320 Kbps, not 40 Kbps. But still this is very slow compared to what I was geeting before the last throtting period last month,

Hope this helps clarify. I'll also install Glasswire and and look at my setup.

Thanks
Christopher

GabeU

@Christopher1 

On the tests it's showing Eonix as the provider.  Are you using a VPN by chance?  If so, you should disable it and run a few tests without it.  VPNs can have a significant effect on service speed.

Yes using a VPN, will rerun tests without it.

If I were you I'd dump Eonix completely. Eonix is a known shell VPN for mass spammers and malicious hackers. Real bad stuff.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I'm using another VPN, but they might be using their servers. I'll check that out.

Thanks for the heads up !

Christopher1
Sophomore

Update -

A hughes rep called me a few days ago and walked me through some setting changes on the modem. Tried doing several simpe DL tests, but couldn't see any real improvement. His final suggestion was to try another modem. Received of days ago but haven't had the time yet to swap it out and test it.

Today however I noticed a major increase in speed while loading a web page. Decided to check TMN and and I'm getting right around 3 Mbps. Not sure if this a one-off because it's Sunday, and I'll end up being capped at .3 Mbps during the week, but IT IS WELCOME sign that something has changed in my case.

Results
https://testmy.net/quickstats/FortyFeetBelow

I have the same problem as you Christopher1. In FAP, going by downloading games on Steam (as it shows download speed) I get between 200-400 KB/s (kilobytes) between 2-8 AM (BONUS ZONE) and as soon as 8 AM hits, it drops to 20-40 KB/s. I even stayed up until 2 AM for the bonus zone to start and it went from 40 KB/s at 1:59, and as soon as 2 AM hit the speed up to 200, then 300, then 400, and bounced around there. I remember it was between 200-400 KB/s all day long for the last 4 years or so during FAP, then in December that stopped. In November when I last had 200-400 KB/s all day long during FAP no matter the time. I know its not congestion because I have not had this problem before. why was my FAP speed good for years before last month? I blame the Web Acceletation being turned off by Hughes Net. Since I got the Gen 5 in June of 2017, the Web Acceleration had a check mark. Then in December when it said not supported that is when this mess happened. I can barely load facebook, instagram, Youtube, and downloading games is not an option until 2 AM when the speed magically gets good.
maratsade

"I know its not congestion because I have not had this problem before."

Congestion isn't constant; it changes over time as more accounts are added. So not encountering the problem before is not evidence that this isn't congestion. 

As for the loss of support for Web Acceleration, I  have noticed some new behaviours too and wonder if they're related to that. 

I just thought if it was congestion then my speed would vary, but I'm getting a constant 20-30 KB/s when it used to be 200-300 KB/s. And then, why would my speed go from 200-300 KB/s during bonus zone, then the second the bonus zone ends it drops to 20-30 KB/s again? And the exact second bonus zone starts my speed shoots up? I don't think every single person who has hughes net is getting on the internet at the exact same time lol!I want to say its my modem or satellite, but if was either of them the bonus zone speed wold also be slow, and when I have usage it would be affected as well, but my speed is normal when I have usuage so my modem and satellite should be fine. Like I said, none if this happened UNTIL December when my web acceleration was turned off. Maybe Hughes can turn it back on and see what happens?