cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Data Usage Problem

Excessive Data Usage Problem

Since my billing restarted this month (July 17) The data is just flying away!  I am not doing anything different and only have one computer and nothing else connected to my internet. There has to be a problem on HughesNet end.  I have changed nothing on my end.  At the rate my data is going it will be gone well before month's end. I usually only use 50-60 percent of my allowance per month. Please look into this problem. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Excessive Data Usage Problem

Hi lisadawn66,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Let's start by isolating the HughesNet modem to see if that is the source of the unidentified data usage.

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

I watched a YouTube show on the last day of my billing cycle last month.  Would it have carried over to the first part of the current month's data usage?  It was watched on the morning of the 16th and my billing cycle starts on the 17th.  I am just trying to figure out why I have used so much in a short time.  I usually don't watch tv shows on the internet but last week a show was interrupted on my dvr and I wanted to see it.  I had plenty of data left last month so I watched it.  But it seems to have been put on the next day when I look at the graph of my usage.
Honorary Alumnus

Your "billing date" and your refill date may not necessarily be the same.

Example, My refill occurs on the 24th, my billing date is the 5th.

Look at the Modems SCC found by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar:

Thanks for the info but I was talking about the actual day the new usage starts, which is the 17th of the month.  I realize that the billing date is different.

Hi lisadawn66,

Data usage from a movie should not be logged for the next day unless you happen to watch a movie near midnight. 

Let's first start by isolating the HughesNet modem to see if that is the source of the unidentified data usage.

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Your patience and cooperation are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->