Hughesnet Community

Excessive unauthorized data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James Foster

Excessive unauthorized data usage

I've been a happy customer for years. About 3 weeks ago I seemed to be using more of my allowance. After troubleshooting everything else, it turns out that about 8mb per hour of my anytime data is being used, even while nothing is connected to my Modem. (not wireless!) I have been informed that this is not much. 6 GB monthly of 10 is not much? tech support gives free tokens, but insists there is no problem. I suspect there is a known problem that is being covered up. I challenge any hughesnet representative to answer this and claim that 8mb per hour use of my paid for satellite time is not excessive. I'm done with the techies, who are being misinformed. I'll do my best to reach someone in corporate tomorrow. This is unacceptable, and violates my(and our) contract.
9 REPLIES 9
Larry Lewis1

Hi, James, 
I like your reasonable tone.  There are, indeed a LOT of things that use data and it is probably quite true that it is us, the stupid, non-IT savvy customers who are at fault MOST of the time for unknown data usage.  That is most likely what the tech help at WHATEVER LEVEL are trained toward.  They probably believe it. But  the first step, I think, in a 12-step program is to admit you have a problem and this is NOT in Hughes mindset, apparently.  

However, the operative word in the 2nd sentence above is "MOST."  If misery and persistent problem solving loves company, check out my post of a few months ago.  "Phantom Usage - DDDD "  It is probably the record for longest.  270 pages when printed.   Yo do not have to read it to get a sense of my problem.  
 I had 24 months - then 4 months with Hughes / Frontier of perfect service. I am glad to pay the 1000 bucks a year.

But the past nearly year has been the internet service from hell.   I have dissolved about 300 hours, thinking i was being kind and compassionate to try to help Hughes solve what seemed and seems to me to be a SYSTEMIC unknown problem.  I gave Hughes here DOZENS of DDDD event-hours WITH good screenshots and well into the System Control Center.

I SHOWED them that the SCC - INFO - Diagnostics - Hourly hISTORY WAS WRONG!  My Ht1100 modem showed a "CONNECT" when dozens and dozens of DDDD events I was totally LAN disconnected.  Hughes never believed me.  They dismissed me and told me sauare on that I was reconnecting.  They only had the WRONG evidence in their electronic mumbo jumbo that has SOMETHING wrong.  Firmware.  Software.  HArDWRE.  wAREWARE.  Security Problem. I do not know,   But I, like you, know better.  I know Hughes shows themselves to me, basically a rose-colored glasses sort, as a DISHONORABLE company.  

Result of all these 300 hours.?  Hughes called me, in writing to Frontier for all practical purposes a liar.  They said that I ONLY used data when LAN cable was plugged in.  (I do not use wireless router and only very rarely a router non wirelessly as a hub. For 6 months of the problem there was no router in the HOUSE>  

Maybe over a million Hughes customers mostly get good service.  I did.  But not for the past year.   With me it was about 150 to 200 GIGBYTES of Phantom usage - All while I was LAN disconnect.   Up until recently, it was nearly every day.   Sometimes 2Gb in A single hour.  

I installed Glasswire on our 2 computers.   Glasswire shows NO USAGE when  I say I have no CONNECT.  Yet THEIR HT1100 modem shows a CONNECT when I am NOT connected.  

As far as I am concerned, since Hughes has been made knowing and intelligent, even though they refuse to give CUSTOMERS  Customer Service worthy of the word, "SERVICE," this raises the problem to the level of criminality.  For the record, I am  NOT interested in litigation. i only want the same GB as when I went to bed, when I try to connect in  the morning.  

Thank you, 

Larry Lewis
Nordman, Idaho 
James Foster

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled update.

Update: While completely disconnected from 1125 pm to 630 am I lost 18 MB anytime(35 min) and 81 MB bonus (6 1/2 hours). It is obvious to me as a longtime customer that the braintrust at hughes know there is a new, recent usage problem. They gave a free outside "home tech support", who recommended a new modem, A cheap troubleshoot. Hughes tech support would not comply. Hmmmmm. I hope they know if they are lying about a known problem while accepting my payment that is fraudulent.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Data allowance magically being used.
Amanda

Hi James

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. Just a heads up, myself and the moderators are located in the corporate office for Hughes. We have specific, concise and clear steps we take to test for this concern and I will post the infographic related below.  We would also like to just note that our Home Tech Support should not have recommended a new modem and we'll deal with that accordingly. If you can provide a recent case number or the serial number from your modem, we can also run initial diagnostics & review your previous cases.

Thank you
Amanda
James Foster

Hi Amanda, my case numbers are 54411966, 54428745. I have misplaced a third one. I'm not an online chat type person. I don't know how to screen capture, but I followed those steps, noting the usage before disconnect. I have consistently had the same amount of lost usage. Forgive me, but it seems like anyone in any capacity with Hughesnet is denying that a problem I have properly troubleshot exists. Amanda, is 8MB per hour excessive? Please answer that, because if it is not excessive,I need to find a different provider. I have faith that the problem will be fixed, but it definitely exists.
Chris11
Alum

Hello James,

Thanks for posting with case numbers so we could pinpoint your account. After some investigating from Amanda, we've gone ahead and escalated your case to our engineers. They will be going over our findings and should get back to us soon. Once we receive more information we'll update you asap. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help address your concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris
James Foster

These are the images of phantom usage in 3 hours 45 min. (390 MB to 769 MB) Tech support later says 52 MB an hour( I read 152 MB) is not excessive, and nothing is wrong. They graciously compensated me for the inconvenience. The phantom usage seems to have accelerated since yesterday. I have no other internet options(dial up only). Even with compensation, I'll not be able to afford this on my disabled veteran pension.
Chris11
Alum

Hi James,

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting to get back some concrete info to update you with. Our team is still looking through everything. Please bare with us as we continue to address your concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris
jeff.fliesen

No replies after 5 months?  Wondering what happen as I am having constant excessive data depletion without usage since I signed up for service a month ago.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Me thinks James' problem was either corrected or he is no longer a customer since thread is 5 months old.

Best to start your own post if wanting help.  https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/new