Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme excessive data usage

Extreme excessive data usage

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Extreme excessive data usage

Didn't quite get how this works.  Multiple postings @ this problem. Why doesn't Hughes offer a way to resolve. I've tried everything. Dish and radios replaced. Use internet only @ 2-3 hours per day since this started. Still "using" 2-3 Gig per day. Interestingly excessive usage only seems to occur during "Anytime" hours. I can do everything between 6-8 AM with very little impact on Bonus bytes

Professor

Excessive data usage comes from devices connected to your network, and you may not be aware they're connected and draining your data.  It's not Hughesnet doing this, it's something on your end, and you need to figure out what it is. Here's how it's done:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/td-p/77194

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Sumerduck wrote:

Didn't quite get how this works.  Multiple postings @ this problem. Why doesn't Hughes offer a way to resolve. I've tried everything. Dish and radios replaced. Use internet only @ 2-3 hours per day since this started. Still "using" 2-3 Gig per day. Interestingly excessive usage only seems to occur during "Anytime" hours. I can do everything between 6-8 AM with very little impact on Bonus bytes

@Sumerduck wrote:

............................. Interestingly excessive usage only seems to occur during "Anytime" hours. I can do everything between 6-8 AM with very little impact on Bonus bytes

I had a very similar experience,  Turned out to be an Iphone on my WIFI.   Don't believe you have a problem that Hughes can solve.  You probably need to look for a data leech or hog on your system.

I've been working on a list of known data leeches and hogs suggested by the users of this forum.  This should be considered as a work in progress:

Definitions for the purposes of this list:

leech: Something that you may not even be aware of, but is using a lot of data.

hog: An activity that uses a lot of data.

Iphone, leech: Can use gigs of data in a short time. I was told by an experienced Iphone user that this is because by default all installed apps are reloaded periodically, and that this can be controlled or turned off completely at the Iphone. I haven't verified the latter.

Video streaming, hog:  The lower the resolution the better.  Can be effected by use of the bashful and elusive Video Data Saver. Smiley Embarassed)>

Chromecast, hog:  Unless the default settings are changed and is not powered on except when being used.

Satellite TV receivers, leech:

Cloud connections, leech:

Facebook videos, hog:

kids, hog/leech:  One of the biggest, with any device connected to the Internet. Sorry parents but just a fact.  Ah kids!  Got to love them though!

The following have to do with Web pages, and can sometimes be helped by installing some sort of add on: Pop up blocker,  Ad blocker, Java script blocker, etc.  One or more of these of these can make the page not work though:

Web page ads, hog:  I use an ad blocker add on for Firefox.  Love to see those big empty spots in web pages where the ads were supposed to be.  Some sites will detect it and whine. or even refuse to load.  Usually that's the last time I ever visit that site, if it refuses to load.  I'll put up with a little whining though.

Web page videos, hog:  A Java script blocker will get most of these.  May have to be turned off for a site if you actually want to watch a video.

Pop up windows, hog:  I use a pop up blocker add on for Firefox.

Distinguished Professor IV

@Sumerduck 

What devices do you use with your HughesNet service?  You can also see what is connected, and what was connected, to your HughesNet modem since it was last powered up here.

On a side note, are you from Sumerduck, VA?  The reason I ask is that my ex wife and her family are from there, though they've since moved.  I liked Sumerduck.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Sumerduck,

Just checking in to see if you've had a chance to check out some of the tips and steps posted here. Looking forward to hearing from you on any updates.

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi Sumerduck,

It's been a while since we've heard from you so this thread will be closed. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to create a new thread.

Thanks,

Amanda