cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Poor Performance. Opened TWO cases with Support...still no satisfaction!

Extremely Poor Performance. Opened TWO cases with Support...still no satisfaction!

Let me start by saying that Hughesnet has been our best internet provider out here in the sticks.  We've had it for a year and a half and performance has always been good.  Suddenly right around the first of December 2016, it became so slow as to be useless.  Netflix, YouTube cannot be used at all.  Downloads fail and time out. 

We have opened TWO cases with phone support.  They put my through all of their tests, including disconnecting the satellite modem from our router and plugging in a single computer, and even running said computer in safe mode so as to eliminate other things that might be using the internet.  The first time we were getting between 500kbps and 1mbps download and about 300bps upload speeds.  They told us they would escalate the case and have someone call me back in two days.  It took 3 days, and I missed the call.  They left a message, mumbled something about a problem with the beam, and then proceeded to give me pointers of how to use my internet, ALSO adding that speeds are not guaranteed.  They then CLOSED THE CASE without even speaking to me.  So I opened another case, and I had to go through it all again.  The second time was a Saturday during the day, and speeds were much better, between 2-6mbps download and nearly 1mbps upload.  But it falls to nothing in the evening.  They said they would again escalate the case.  I have been waiting 10 days. 

Let me state something else that should be really obvious to Hughesnet tech support, even the level 1 script readers who don't actually know anything: If I had a device or devices on my network that was using up the bandwidth, I wouldn't have 29GB left one day before my billing cycle resets. 

Just furious...I think they know they have a problem and they won't admit it.  $90 a month for this?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Extremely Poor Performance. Opened TWO cases with Support...still no satisfaction!

Hello kottum,

Thanks for posting, we'd like to help address your speed concerns but need updated details and data to work with. It would be very helpful if you could run speed tests for us and post them here.
To elaborate on the speed tests to continue troubleshooting, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Amanda

Re: Extremely Poor Performance. Opened TWO cases with Support...still no satisfaction!

MORE SPEED TESTS?  I posted the results of two sets of speed tests already!!!!  How in the world is more speed tests going to fix my problem?

Hi kottum,

The two speed tests you posted have no context on date, time of day, file size used for testing,etc. I have provided specific steps above on how to perform very accurate speed tests we can use for investigation. Our engineering team will need more than 2 speed tests to get an idea of what is going on if we have to escalate to them.

Amanda