Hughesnet Community

Extremely Slow Speed!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dphillips9130

Extremely Slow Speed!

I work virtually and I cannot upload any documents over 20MB. Between 15-20MB it takes 10 minutes plus to email a doc this size.
On my MAC I cannot do any updates and my iPhone won’t synch and iTunes will not synch as it is “old” but when I try to update it spins and then says connection lost.
I cannot connect to Citrix to upload shared files with other co-workers.
I just started service at the end of February so this is NOT a good start to our relationship!
I had to go to an unlimited cell phone plan because having my phone on WiFi sucked al the data.
If you look at my usage you will see it is tapped out right away.
I can’t even watch one episode on Netflix of a show without “buffering” and a fuzzy picture.
I tried calling customer service serval times with no luck getting through.
I’ve been put on hold several times and then a recording comes on to tell me that we are in turbulent times right now and then I get cut off - literally. I am beyond frustrated and don’t know where to turn.
I’ve paid my first full bill and it was NOT worth the internet I did receive NOR the increase in my cell phone bill.
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Currently our country and the rest of the world are going through a serious pandemic.  In our counry, many people are under stay at home orders and must work and study from home. This is causing slower speeds for everyone, and these slower speeds are more noticeable for people on satellite internet.  This is not likely to get better any time soon. 

To have speed issues investigated in this community, please follow the instructions here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Dphillips9130 wrote:
I work virtually and I cannot upload any documents over 20MB. Between 15-20MB it takes 10 minutes plus to email a doc this size.
On my MAC I cannot do any updates and my iPhone won’t synch and iTunes will not synch as it is “old” but when I try to update it spins and then says connection lost.
I cannot connect to Citrix to upload shared files with other co-workers.
I just started service at the end of February so this is NOT a good start to our relationship!
I had to go to an unlimited cell phone plan because having my phone on WiFi sucked al the data.
If you look at my usage you will see it is tapped out right away.
I can’t even watch one episode on Netflix of a show without “buffering” and a fuzzy picture.
I tried calling customer service serval times with no luck getting through.
I’ve been put on hold several times and then a recording comes on to tell me that we are in turbulent times right now and then I get cut off - literally. I am beyond frustrated and don’t know where to turn.
I’ve paid my first full bill and it was NOT worth the internet I did receive NOR the increase in my cell phone bill.

lighthope1
Senior

@Dphillips9130 wrote:

Yeah, it's really strange.  testmy.net is showing a whopping 47.9 Mbps download, though the latency test is still garbage all over the place, ranging from 913 to 2808 just on this last test.

E-mail is achingly slow, Dropbox is unusable, and Facebook is near unusable.

maratsade

"E-mail is achingly slow, Dropbox is unusable, and Facebook is near unusable."

And HN is aware of all this.  I hope a solution is coming. 

I've only been a customer for a little over a month now and I have never had "speed" with my service. I have slow streaming and for work I have to use VPN so that makes it even worse. Everything is super slow and since it's effecting my ability to work I unfortunately have to cancel my services with HughesNet. I was unaware of VPN and satellite internet not being able to work in the same environment when I signed up for the service. Had I known I would've went with a different internet provider from the beginning. So I've never been able to experience good performance with my internet even before COVID-19. It's been frustrating and disappointing because I've been patient, but my services haven't improved so at this point canceling is my only option.
maratsade

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

@Triples86 wrote:
I've only been a customer for a little over a month now and I have never had "speed" with my service. I have slow streaming and for work I have to use VPN so that makes it even worse. Everything is super slow and since it's effecting my ability to work I unfortunately have to cancel my services with HughesNet. I was unaware of VPN and satellite internet not being able to work in the same environment when I signed up for the service. Had I known I would've went with a different internet provider from the beginning. So I've never been able to experience good performance with my internet even before COVID-19. It's been frustrating and disappointing because I've been patient, but my services haven't improved so at this point canceling is my only option.
Triples86 wrote:

I actually called customer service and cancelled my services this morning. It's unfortunate that the early termination fee is not waived for customers who have matters of cancellation due to mandatory working at home needs that aren't met for VPN issues (like mine). I paid for y equipment up front so I have nothing to return.

Thank you for your post
maratsade

The pandemic is not their fault.  Good luck and God bless. 

Liz

Good morning Dphillips9130, 

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!