Extremely Slow Speeds at all times of the day

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpainter
New Poster

Extremely Slow Speeds at all times of the day

I need help.  I have 2 issues.  First, I am getting extremely slow speeds at all times of the day.  I have a reference number to the speed tests that the lady on the phone had me run.  It has been 3 days with no call back as of yet.  The lady said 3-5 days so we aren't over the days but I am trying to run a business out of my home and can't do that with 1.4 Mbps download speeds.  Can someone look to see if my dish needs to be pointed at a different satellite or if I am getting good speeds between the satellite and the modem, then we can start to look at fixing whatever else may be the speed problem.

The second problem I have is that the 2 different sales people I spoke to said that I would have no problem with data and that the 20GB plan would be plenty if I was remoted in to my job 8 hours a day 5 days a week along with doing Netflix in the evenings and having 2 kids that play apps on their tablets and a wife looking at Facebook.  We just moved so I couldn't locate any of my old AT&T bills to confirm this would be fine so I had to go on what he said.  I found my last bill today, and it shows that we used 346 GB the last month and I didn't work from home then.  If we get the speed solved do you offer any unlimited plans?

7 REPLIES 7
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

From the sound of it you are most likely over your allowance and in FAP mode, being throttled. Download speed of 1.5 Mbps is all you can expect when in FAP.

They have no unlimited plans and nothing even close to 350 GB per month. You'll have to get your use under control or you'll be at 1.5 Mbps speed for the majority of every month.

I just had the service installed 4 days ago.  I am in the 20 day grace period where they allow all the downloading you want and I show that I still have 99% left on my data.  I shouldn't be being throttled yet. 

Liz

Hi jpainter,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Are you using a VPN you connect to work? VPNs will slow down speeds up to 50%-70%. 

I wanted to dig further into your concerns so I've requested a sales call review to determine whether appropriate expectations were set. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I haven't started working at my house yet this is all on my amazon fire tv and google chromebook that I am seeing these slow speeds.  i have only had the service for 4 days and show 99% left on my data.  We have to figure something out.

Hi jpainter,

Thanks for the additional details. Let's get some speed tests with a direct connection to the HughesNet modem. From the diagnostics I just ran on your system, everything looks great. Speeds from the modem are well above you plan speeds:

Speed test results for SAN - DSS36

Execution time: 2018-07-20 18:17:03
Upload speed (kb/sec): 3201.758
Download speed (kb/sec): 43827.628
Round trip ping time (msec): 579
Packet loss rate (%): 0

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-use the 25MB size download test file

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I will run a few tonight and a few in the morning.  I work elsewhere throughout the day so it is hard for me to get the speed tests during middle of the day.  Thank you for working with me on this.

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.