Extremely Slow internet speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
L5Murphy
New Poster

Extremely Slow internet speeds

For the past 2 weeks we have been experiencing slow internet speeds. For the past 3 days we have been unable to access websites on a laptop, so elearning on an iPad (even with NO OTHER DEVICES connected to the internet). We are unable to work from home or do e-learning from home. I ran the online test. Results were poor, less than 1.0)
7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@L5Murphy 

Is it specific websites or pretty much any?  

Do you know if your'e out of plan data?  If you don't, you can check here.  If it's not showing your data, click "Home" on the left, and it should then show.

Liz

Hi L5Murphy, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your diagnostics and see that the HughesNet equipment is working normally. I do see you have a Netgear router connected to the modem. If you haven't done so yet, you can try disconnecting the Netgear and see if using just the HughesNet modem makes a difference. 

If you prefer to use the Netgear router, disable the wifi in the HughesNet modem to ensure there is no interference between both routers.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

uscunited
Freshman

I too have had extremely slow internet speeds over the last 3+ weeks.  I understand that internet use is high and that will slow speeds but my download speeds are averaging less than 200 kbps and I am dropping offline constantly.  This makes it nearly impossible to download any data from the internet.  As a result, I am being forced to use my cell phone to download email and data which is costing me a lot more money.  It would be nice if Hughesnet could improve their service or at least give us credit for the service that we are not getting.

Thought it was just me. Using testmy.net as well, my download is better today at 2.4 Mbps and upload 554 Kbps, still getting dropped from email, secure sites such as banking and can barely bring up Bing.  Yesteday download 544 Mpbs.  I just recently upgraded to Gen 5 and the upgrade has proven to me to be much slower than Gen 4, never was this slow.  Maybe installed wrong, who knows.  So, I am being patient through these times of the virus and just hope it will get better. 

maratsade

• Likely issues related to the pandemic, not your installation
  • It will get better, but it may take time
  • These chaotic, nightmarish times call for patience and  a reframing of priorities

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Cabooose2 wrote:

Maybe installed wrong, who knows.  So, I am being patient through these times of the virus and just hope it will get better. 

Thanks for support. The problem is not solved, but at least we know we are not alone. In all of our years of being HughesNet customers, we have never experienced such slow internet speeds. In the meantime, using my phone as a hotspot for e-learning (especially the videos). Thanks
maratsade

It's pretty nuts for everyone. Here's hoping the nightmare will end soon.