cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely poor service. Internet is slow and many times just does not work at all.

Highlighted

Extremely poor service. Internet is slow and many times just does not work at all.

Hughes Net is awful!  My internet service is extremely slow and quite often just does not work. When I call customer service, they blame it on Direct TV.  I have been instructed to turn off my internet for a few hours and then try again.  Sometimes this works, many times it does not.  There have been several times when essential access to the internet for school/college work, business items, and preparation for meetings have been delayed or deadlines missed due to this.  My next step is contacting Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau.  
6 REPLIES 6
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Extremely poor service. Internet is slow and many times just does not work at all.

If you think your system is not functioning properly the first set would be to open the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

The color of the icons marked as 1 & 2 will give you a quick peek at the systems condition including FAP status and any active error conditions.

If not in FAP then the next step would be to connect a single computer directly to the modem and run a series of speed tests at testmy.net.

Create an account there, log in and run 3 to 5 speed tests spaced at least 5 minutes apart.

Use the 12MB manual test.

post the link to your saved results here in the Community.

Are you by any chance connecting via a VPN ?

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Extremely poor service. Internet is slow and many times just does not work at all.

Plus, if Your DirecTV box is connected to HughesNet, disconnect it.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

When dealing with a data capped service you have to be VERY careful with what is allowed to connect to your network.

It is also necessary that wireless devices in particular are left in a true powered off state rather than in hibernation when not in active use.

As to speeds, the more devices you have connected at any one time, the slower each will appear to be. They are after all "sharing" a rather small data pipe.

Highlighted

We do power off all wireless devices when not in use.  There are time I have been the only one connected, and this is just my laptop and internet access; 2 NOT downloading anything.  I still have awful service and it goes totally out.  None of what you posted is an effective fix for the poor service. We do not download movies or documents, so we should be good for the plan we have; but that is not the case.    
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

An "effective fix" starts with collecting information and troubleshooting.

That is going to entail determining what your systems baseline performance levels are with a single computer connected directly to the modem and then adding elements of the network back in a controlled fashion.

"There are time I have been the only one connected, and this is just my laptop and internet access"

Again I ask VPN ?

"NOT downloading anything"

That you are aware of. Have you installed Glasswire on that computer so that you can see usage of not only the programs that you can see but also background processes that you normally would not be aware of?

www.glasswire.com

" I still have awful service and it goes totally out"

Please define "totally out".

How many LED's are lit on the front of the modem when this happens ?

What error codes are present in the Modems SCC when this occurs ?

What is shown in the Modems State Code Monitor ?

"We do not download movies or documents, so we should be good for the plan we have; but that is not the case."

Pure supposition. Are you in FAP or not ?

If not, have you ran speed tests as I outlined above to see what the actual speeds are under the defined circumstances?

Highlighted
Alum

Hi cridgway,

Thanks for posting. I understand your frustration, hopefully we can help turn this around. I'm curious, I don't think you mentioned if you do have the DirecTV box connected to your HughesNet network in anyway. Looking through your past case history, I see that you've been in contact through our Facebook page as well. Where one of your corporate case managers found no issues with your site, only that you were periodically running out of data. I also ran diagnostics and there is nothing out of the ordinary that I can see. Your data allowance just reset, however you were also in a throttled state before this occurred. 

Here are some diagnostics for your reference on how the site is working:

Execution time: 2016-09-23 19:05:04
Upload speed (kb/sec): 694.421
Download speed (kb/sec): 18280.614 = 18 Mbps
Round trip ping time (msec): 765
Packet loss rate (%): 0

This speed test, which I just ran, gauges what speed is beamed down to you directly from the satellite to your home. Your "Prime plan" up to Max is set to 10 Mbps. This is well over that range. You also have a signal quality of 126. That is also very good. The best thing we can do to help, I believe is helping you manage your data allowance more effectively. If you do have your DirecTV plugged into the network. This will use a lot of data. So try to use only use it during peak times. Or only for small amounts at a time. Here are some more tips others have found useful when trying to manage their data allowance.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris