cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow download speed

Highlighted
New Poster

Extremely slow download speed

A little over a month ago, my internet service went out. The dish was damaged through no fault of mine. It cost me $62.50 for a technician to come and fix it. It still is not working correctly. I would send a detailed message, but the e-mail support option limits my words to way less than its needed to explain the issue.  The technicians came out and replaced the dish (at least I guess they did), but did not come inside to test the connection to see if it was working properly and there did happen to be someone at the house on that day.  They did not leave any paperwork that they had been here, nor did they ever speak to the person that was there, not when they got there nor when they left.  My service has always been somewhat draggy at best so I figured everything was taken care of.  I noticed a charge of $1.00 to my account two days ago and contacted them and they said that was just a verification since I had had to change my account recently.  But my payments have been on time for the past two and a half years since it is an automatic draft so that they can make sure that they get their money.  That prompted me to perform a speed test and I found out that my download speed was only 0.12.   Again, my service has never been that fast so I had not noticed much difference when they replaced the dish.  I called three times and talked to three different customer service representatives and, although all of them were as helpful as they could be, none of them helped to resolve the issue, other than telling me that since the 30 day warranty had expired and I would have to pay an additional $125.00 for another service technician to come out and align the dish.  If they had checked the work they did that day and discovered before they left that the speed was not up to par, which they can also do without even coming in, there wouldn't be a problem.  Somehow or other it is now my responsibility to pay additional money to have them come back and fix the problem that they didn't do correctly the first time.  

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Extremely slow download speed

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@oneallaura 

The $1.00 on hold is just an account check.  Many vendors do this to ensure that the account being drawn from is valid, or 'still' valid, so to speak.  It very likely happens every month, immediately prior to the actual monthly charge.  Because the $1.00 account check is not an actual charge, your financial institution will release the hold on that $1.00 after a set number of days, as it never receives the confirmation from HughesNet for the charge, unlike for the actual monthly charge, which it does.  For my bank, it's five working days.

The reps here should be able to perform remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment in order to determine if anythings amiss, including the alignment of your dish.  Just make sure to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in come Monday, when the reps are back in the office.  If they need any personal information in order to locate your HughesNet account they will ask for it to be sent via Private Message, and they usually include a link for doing so.  The reps are normally on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually respond within a working day, so hopefully you'll see a reply from them on Monday.  

In the meantime, it would be a good idea to get a few speed tests in, as there's nothing at this point to say whether your dish is out of alignment.  maratsade linked to the speed testing instructions.  

For reference, the techs often have the tools required to align the dish without ever needing to enter your home.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
New Poster

I have run speed tests on my account in the support section on hughesnet.com 10 times in the past three days and the customer service representatives ran the test for me as well.  We all got the same results - that my download speed is 0.12.  I'm not sure what all the steps listed in the page I was directed to even mean.  While I am not as tech savvy as I could be, I am most certainly not a moron who does not know how to run a speed test on the internet.  I have invested many hours of my time, mostly on the phone with support representatives, to try to help find a resolution to this problem.  I do not have the option of simply discontinuing the service as it is the only one I have in the area I live in.  Per my last conversation with customer service, my dish is not in alignment and I simply want that to be fixed, preferably without paying an additional $125.00 to have another technician come out here and fix what should have been tested the first time.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Listen, to have speed issues addressed here, you have to follow the procedure indicated. If you did speed tests using Testmy.net, then please post the URL to My Results page.  If you have done any other tests, they will not count here.  

Good morning oneallaura,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.