Hughesnet Community

Extremely slow download speeds during evening/night hours.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithedward
New Poster

Extremely slow download speeds during evening/night hours.

I switched to Gen 5 a few weeks. I was told by customer service that Gen 5 would solve the slow speeds I had been experiencing with Gen 4. Not only did Gen 5 not fix the issue but my speeds are now slower than they were with Gen 4.

During daytime hours my download speeds are tolerable. When connected directly to the modem the speeds vary from 8 to 15 mbs (using testmy.net).

Starting in the late evening my mesaured speed plummets to between 300 and 600kbs! This behavior is very consistent. At these lows speeds we are unable to stream video (ie. Netflix) even when our smart TV is connected directly to the modem.

We did not have this problem during the 4 years that we had Gen 4.

What is causing this issue and what can be done to resolve it?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's probably due to congestion during prime time.  In any case, to have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Hello maratsade,

Thanks for your response. I have attached a few of my testmy test results (link below). All tests were performed while connected directly to modem (LAN). My speeds are very low.

Thanks

https://testmy.net/quickstats/keithedward

maratsade

Yikes, those look bad.  You may want to run a few more, spaced out in batches of maybe 3 tests in the morning, 3 in the afternoon, and 3 in the evening.  Are you in FAP? If you've exhausted your data, speeds will be throttled, but they are supposed to be around 1 Mbps. 

No, I am not in FAP. We currently have plenty of data in our que. I have run many tests over the past month. I occassionally get 4 or 5 meg but the majority of my tests come back at less than 1 meg.

This problem seemed to get worse when I upgraded to Gen 5.

maratsade

OK, that's good info, thanks! 

The reps on this site will need more tests so the engineers can look at what may be going on. Maybe you could run some more tests tonight (say, 3 tests, 5 minutes apart) and some more tomorrow (3 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon, and 3 in the evening)?  The reps and engineers will need more data points to analyse what may be going on. 

I conducted several more tests throughout the day today (link attached). We the exception of one reading, all results were extremely poor. Performance has been so poor, and so inconsistent, that I have been unable to use any of my cloud-based applications for my job. As indicated earlier in this thread, our performance was never great with Gen 4 but it was definately better than what we are experiencing with Gen 5.

Certainly not what we are paying for.

maratsade

Yeah, those speeds look really bad. You've run the tests while directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable, right? When you check the system status (http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status), what's the state code?

Have you tried power cycling the modem?

I hope the reps on the site will get back to you tomorrow. 

@keithedward wrote:

I conducted several more tests throughout the day today (link attached). We the exception of one reading, all results were extremely poor. Performance has been so poor, and so inconsistent, that I have been unable to use any of my cloud-based applications for my job. As indicated earlier in this thread, our performance was never great with Gen 4 but it was definately better than what we are experiencing with Gen 5.

Certainly not what we are paying for.

Yes, all tests have been run while directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable.

I have tried power-cycling the modem. After cycling yesterday, I got a bit of improvement but it quickly deteriorated over the next couple of hours.

Thanks

maratsade

Thanks, Keith. Hopefully one of the reps on the site ( @Liz , @Remy , @Damian ) will jump in and do more troubleshooting and diagnosing today. 

@keithedward,

Thank you for reaching out to us and performing the necessary steps to help with our diagnosis. It is true, peak time will cause speeds to decrease as the satellite must distribute evenly to all customers. While peak time has always been apart of most ISP services, it was not nearly as noticeable compared to now, during this pandemic. Because of this, our engineers are constantly working to keep the service operating as efficiently as possible, using the tools available.     

With that being said, after running a remote speed test to see what your modem is outputting, the speeds we received back were on point with what you stated you get during the day. This means we will definitely need to perform a bit of remote maintenance to increase these speeds for you. Unfortunately, the speed test performed on our side did not show that there is a decrease in your speeds since that has not been tested yet. The next step for me is to remotely test your speed during peak hours to get an accurate depiction of a decrease and how much of one. If it matches up with your results from testmy.net or it's anywhere close, specific steps will be taken to fix that. I will have that update for you tomorrow along with the next troubleshooting steps to be performed.  

-Damian 

Damian,

That sounds good. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

Thanks

Keith

@Damian 

Just following up with you. Were you able to conduct your testing of my service during peak hours last night?

Thanks

Keith

@keithedward,

I was successfully able to run a speed test during peak hours and found a decrease in speed. Because of this, I will be performing remote adjustments to the modem which should increase speeds greatly. Please await completion and results by tonight. I do appreciate your patience while dealing with this situation. 

-Damian 

@Damian 

Thanks for the update. I appreciate your response and your attention to this issue. Looking forward to better performane after your adjustments.

Thanks again,

Keith

@Damian 

Were you able to make any adjustments/improvements during your evaluation last night. I have not seen any improvment in my slow speeds today.

Thanks

Keith

@keithedward,

I was successfully able to perform the remote troubleshooting steps. It can take some time for results to appear especially when the area of service is very cloudy. Heavy cloud coverage can also alter signal strength and speed. If the skies are clear right now, this would be a good time to test your speeds again. Please let me know what you find and I will perform additional troubleshooting steps if required. 

-Damian

@Damian 

I just performed a couple of tests. Results were not very good 1.4 and 1.3M. However, the skies are very cloud (with drizzle) here and will be for the next couple of days. Once skies clear (in couple of days) I will perform a series of tests and send you the results.

Thanks!

Keith