Extremely slow download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ml520
Junior

Extremely slow download speeds

Hi, I upgraded to Hughes "Gen 5" earlier this year and performance was decent for a short time. More recently (past few months probably), download speeds have gotten ridculously slow. The past few nights I performed a speed test from the Hughes site and barely topped 100kbps. Upload speeds have been more consistent ... and generally faster that the downloads, actually. But the service is essentially unusable in the evenings. Even the email client I still use times out for lack of response. I seldom had an issue with the previous (Gen 4, I assume?) service, which I had for a number of years. Prior to that I was a Starband customer for a long time, and even THEIR service ten years ago (which wasn't exceptional by any means) was better that what I'm experiencing with this Gen 5. Does anyone have information on what's going on? I see other users posting similar experiences and am wondering if this is something that Hughes is aware of and working on a solution for? I put a message into tech support this morning and so have not yet heard from them.

20 REPLIES 20
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@ml520

Are you on Beam ID 68?  If so, there is a known issue that Hughes is trying to resolve on that beam.  To see what your Beam ID is, go to http://192.168.0.1 in your browser, and click on System Information.

Beam ID is 39

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When you run your speedtests, are you connected by wifi, or with a network cable to your HT2000w?
Are there any third party routers between you and your HT2000w?
Do you still have data remaining on your allowance?

I am connected by WiFi, but I see that the recommendation is to connect directly through a LAN can, which I'll do tonight when I run another set of tests. I am getting much better speed at other times of the day, though. For example, I just ran a test with the result of 20.66Mbps DL and 2.32Mbps UL -- totally acceptable to me. But the past couple of nights, around 8-9pm local, I got 105kbsp, 126kbps, and 174kbps DL speeds. Uploads were between 1.3 and 1.9Mbps. 

No third party routers. I'm using only the HT2000W modem.

Plenty of data left -- almost 23GB.

I just tried the speed test with a LAN cable attached & WiFi disabled: 15.37Mbps DL and 2.37Mbps UL. I'll try the test again tonight when things typically grind to a halt. I won't be holding my breath, though!

Speed test tonight, 7:53pm, with LAN cable connected directly to modem & WiFi disabled: 250kbps DL, 2.09Mbps UL.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Curious, when looking at System Information, are you on Echostar-17?  Or are you on Echostar-19?

Regardless of which, you might want to run a small set of tests below during the hours your service is worst, and a small set during the best hours that browsing occurs, and give us your results URL.  Once you do that, I am sure one of the moderators here will forward your results to engineering.

Create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests in batches during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

I know you have been running the Hughesnet test, but it would be nice to have third party results as well to present your issue to engineering.

System information says Echostar 19.

I just set up a testmy.net account, will perform some tests throughout the day, and will post the results.

Thanks for your help!

Here's the link to the test results: http://testmy.net/quickstats/ml520

Unfortunately there's a period later in the afternoon when I'm usually not around to do the test. I could possibly do a fuller sample on the weekend, if that would be helpful to see. As you can see, though, by the 8:50pm entry, speed has significantly slowed down. When I check with the test on the Hughes site, it has normally shown just over 100kbps, so the testmy.net reading is a little higher. Still well below 1Mbps, though. This is pretty much every night as far as I can tell. Daytime speeds are actually quite fast for the most part.

Good morning ml520,

Wow. Thank you for your results page, this is really unusual. I'm sending this up to our engineers too. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks, Liz, I sure appreciate the help! Let me know if you need anything further from me.

Liz, I'm wondering if you've heard back anything on this. Tonight around 9pm the speed was so slow that I couldn't even access a speed test for at least 15 minutes. When I was finally able to do a testmy check, the result came back at 1.961 GIGAbits per second. Tests following that one have all come in at between 2 to 7Mbps.

Good morning ml520,

Thank you for checking in, I haven't heard back from engineering regarding your case or beam. I've pinged them for an update, once I have something to share I'll post back. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I'd like to bump this to the top of the pile again, as it's been a month and a half since my original post and I am still having the same problem, only it appears to be getting worse at other parts of the day, as well. Nearly unusable and can't do even the most basic things without a long, long wait. Apparently no response from engineering, and only mention of a month's credit. As I look at other posts on the forum I see many others experiencing the same issue. Surely someone at Hughes has a clue about what's going on?

Good morning ml520,

Thank you for the recent speed tests. We haven't gotten any updates regarding any specific actions, but our engineers are still currently working to address these concerns. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I will send you a PM to further address your concerns.

Liz, I need to know what's being done to investigate and resolve this issue. Six weeks should be plenty of time to get some response in that regard, and so far there has been zero, despite what I feel has been an incredible amount of patience on my part. Any other company would be looking for new "engineers" should they be incapable of identifying and proposing a fix within that time frame, for a problem that appears to be affecting such a large number of customers. While offers of credit for unusable service are appreciated (although I have yet to see any credit on my statement since this was first discussed in late September), they don't really get at the issue here. I use Hughes to run a business out of my home in a very rural area where I have no landline options. This is costing me time and money beyond any credits being proposed. Please provide a timeframe for a fix on this, and please get assurance from HQ that we will be able to cancel service without penalty once that timeframe has expired. I have been thrilled with Hughes service prior to Gen 5, and before this experience I was quick to recommend it to everyone. But since Gen 5 and its dismal customer support, my enthusiasm is in rapid decline.

Hi,

Over the past months our engineers have done a number of network adjustments like capacity expansions, terminal code updates, and other smaller tweaks of which we're not aware. All these efforts are to try to provide acceptable service performance across the entire network. There are numerous teams with countless members who are working to address these latest speed concerns, and in general, to maintain the network 24/7. Us mods normally don't get ETAs from the engineers regarding an overall "fix", when we do get an ETA it will be for an update or specific adjustment which MAY provide relief for some.

I do apologize that lately it seems like we have not been able to provide improved speeds for most of you here in the community, but I assure you we are working to bring relief one way or another.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Another month has passed...tonight it took me 56 minutes of "your connection was reset," "the web page took too long to respond," "DNS entry not found," and the like to finally get to the point of being able to access this forum. Then for kicks I checked the speed: 719kbps download. I got a message a couple of days ago with an encouraging promise of capacity upgrades. Obviously not there yet, but does anyone have the scoop on what's planned and what the timeline is?

Good morning,

We don't have any additional information or timelines, should we get any new news to share from engineering you'll hear back from us.

Hi ml520,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.