cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow internet speeds

Highlighted
Freshman

Extremely slow internet speeds

Since getting the HughesNet service, I have been working with technical support to get anywhere near the advertised speeds of 25 megabytes per second. We are typically getting anywhere from 150-500 kilobytes per second. This is 0.6% - 2% of the advertised speeds! This is not acceptable.

I have opened multiple tickets. I had the technician come out and spend 3 hours trying to improve the performance, and there is no change. Is there any hope of getting decent service?!?

I am reposting this, because the HughesNet response was to tell me that the speeds are not guaranteed. I can understand operating at 80% of advertised speeds, but 0.6%?!?!?! That is NOT accectable. I am happy to pay for reasonable service, but this is not reasonable.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Extremely slow internet speeds

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Highlighted

I get 2.45 mbps download and 1.84 mbps upload speed per the hughes net test. Tell me about it.. Can you spell Rip Off? Quin 

Highlighted

• Speeds vary.
  • Not a rip off.
  • Read the subscriber agreement, focus on the disclaimers.
  • Don't care for the service? Unsubscribe.

Highlighted
Freshman

@maratsade wrote:
  • Speeds vary.
  • Not a rip off.
  • Read the subscriber agreement, focus on the disclaimers.
  • Don't care for the service? Unsubscribe.

What kind of a real answer that you gave? Just not acceptable for the people who have no other option but HughesNet. You would think that they would want to keep their customers and help them! But a short snippy answer shows that HughesNet really doesn’t care or have people like you that doesn’t really share the feeling that posting here really matters. Shame really!

Highlighted
Associate Professor

If you assume @maratsade is a HughesNet employee or representative, you'd be wrong.

The reason why it's so snippy is because we (fellow customers helping out) see rants and assumptions like your's all the time. It gets monotonous responding to it all the time.

I find bullets to be efficient, not snippy. If you want more information that might be more to your liking, use the search thingie that no one else seems to use instead of jumping all over someone that just gave you good, concise advice.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yep, the bullets are for efficiency's sake and for a more streamlined answer. 

Highlighted

• I believe HughesNet does care for good customer service, and I'm sorry you've had a different experience. 
  • I'm not an employee. You can recognise employees because they have the word MOD or ADMIN next to their handles. 
  • Yes, people who have no other options but satellite internet are dealt a hand that sometimes isn't good at all.
  • Customer experience varies from beam to beam, and what you see here on this site represents the people who have issues. 
  • HughesNet has over a million customers, so what you see here is a very small slice of the whole and should not be used to generalise to the entire customer base. 
Highlighted
Freshman

There is a big difference between not being quite up to advertised speeds and performing at (1/160)th of the advertised speed. This is not even the same order of magnitude of the advertised speeds. Don't they have some responsibility to deliver something close to what they advertise?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@wylliecabin 

Only maratsade's very first reply was to you.  The rest were to the people pointlessly piggybacking on your topic.  

Your speeds are no doubt low.  Keep in mind that this is a Support Community, irrespective of the phone or chat help, so if you start a topic here it's assumed that you're looking for support.  Twice now you've been given the procedure in order to get that support.  Your first topic was closed due to lack of response, and it's likely that this one will be closed as well.  

So, if you'd like support for your speed issue, please proceed with the speed testing as instructed.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro