Extremely slow speeds at night

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richknox
Sophomore

Extremely slow speeds at night

I was asked by Chris (Company Rep) to open a post with details after I replied to another thread with the same problem. I have been experiencing extremely slow speeds at night since around the first of November which was also my 1 year anniversary with HughesNet. I do not believe it is a hardware problem because I get fast to acceptable speeds at other times. You will see from my data below that the speed drops to an extremely low level at times. I captured this data using Speedtest. I don't have much data for the month of November because I assumed that it was related to additional activity during the election cycle. Here are my results:
Date - Time - Download (Mbps) - Upload (Mbps)
9/30 7:35 PM 11.09 2.20
10/30 8:00 PM 6.94 1.29
10/31 8:02 PM 0.14 0.56
10/31 8:15 PM 5.04 1.61
11/7 8:46 AM 6.72 0.79
11/7 8:09 PM 0.39 0.94
11/9 9:18 AM 6.69 0.80
11/9 8:33 PM 1.88 1.32
11/30 6:24 PM 7.98 0.95
11/30 8:37 PM 0.76 0.59
12/1 8:49 PM 0.97 3.31
12/2 9:03 AM 5.22 0.70
12/2 8:01 PM 1.47 8.89
12/3 7:39 PM 0.17 0.40
12/3 8:23 PM 0.40 1.14
12/3 8:25 PM 0.35 0.38
12/3 9:11 PM 0.58 0.56
12/4 6:09 AM 19.68 2.87
12/4 12:21 PM 17.99 1.63
12/4 1:45 PM 12.94 1.77
12/4 1:53 PM 3.84 1.12
12/4 2:26 PM 1.18 1.13
12/4 7:59 PM 0.25 1.06
12/5 5:48 AM 5.25 3.69
12/5 9:05 PM 0.32 7.69
12/6 5:54 AM 22.82 2.22
All times are Central Standard Time in Mississippi
74 REPLIES 74
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

An upload of 5.53Mbps?  Wow.  
Liz

Good morning Rich, 

In the meantime, I have no problem crediting your account until the engineer gets back to me regarding your case or until we start using the new satellite we launched in December. I will keep you posted.

Thank you,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi Rich,

I've gotten word from engineering that due to the current scheduling around the Gen 5 launch, your beam is slated for a capacity expansion in three weeks. As a courtesy, I've credited your account for next month's service fee in the meantime.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

you wrote on 2/28 that service would be better in about 3 weeks as the new satellite would be online.  It has now been almost 5 weeks since this email and I have seen no change in my speeds.  I am the only one on the satellite tonight and I can't even stream a ballgame on MLB.TV. My speed tonight is 0.41 Mbps download and 2.20 Mbps upload. This is totally unacceptable.  Is there any help coming?  Thanks

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Liz stated:

I've gotten word from engineering that due to the current scheduling around the Gen 5 launch, your beam is slated for a capacity expansion in three weeks

Recently she stated that there's nothing more they can do for users where beam expansions have occured... The only thing you can do is wait it out till users on your beam jump from Jupiter One to Jupiter II.  Or make the jump your self to Jupiter II/Gen5.  Simply put, the system is severely overburdened right now, and they can't do anything about anything till consumers decide to switch to the new bird.

GabeU

@richknox

To be honest with you, I would look into upgrading to Gen5.  I can tell you that, even as good as my speeds were during off peak times, the speeds with Gen5 are that much better.  Plus, you may be able to get a decent deal.    

I'd call them and ask what they have available to offer you.  You might even try PMing Liz to see if she can contact sales to see what kind of a deal they can give you due to the speed problems.    

With the way things are right now, as mentioned by @C0RR0SIVE, you probably won't see any marked improvement with your current plan until more people make the move to Gen5, lightening the load on the ES17, and that will probably take some time.   

With all due respect to everyone at HughesNet this is really looking like a bait and switch scenario.  I have been told I should upgrade to the new Gen 5 system so I can get better speeds and service but the pricing plans are crap!  I currently have a 50 GB (regular time and bonus time each for 100 MB total) and it costs me about $100 a month.  Before the speed problems my family used about 35 GB of anytime data.  Who in the world even thinks that the bonus time data is worthwhile when it runs from 2 AM to 8 AM!  I get at the most and hour in the morning before we all leave the house for work.  Now the new Gen 5 plans would cap me at 20 GB anytime data (not even 60% of what we previously used and less than half what I am paying for now) and it would cost me $130!  I just don't see how that makes sense at all to pay more and get only partial service.  I have no clue what I am going to do for internet services in my rural area but I can guarantee it will not be HughesNet after my contract expires in September.  This makes no sense whatsoever at all to me because it was not a gradual degidation of the service but one night it worked and the next night it didn't. HughesNet is not delivering anywhere close to what I was promised at the first of my contract and what I received during the first year of service. I am very upset with HughesNet and think that me and my family have been taken advantage of through this.  The only thing I can say is that Liz did credit me for lost time and I at least have evough credits to pay for the next 2 months service almost.  That means I only have to pay an additional 3 months before I can get out of this crappy internet service.  

GabeU

It's not a bait and switch, just reality.  The only two people on this thread to suggest that you upgrade to Gen5 are customers, not Hughesnet employees.  You have the option to stay with Gen4, of course, and deal with the slow speeds until the load lightens and the speed improves.  

They can't waive a magic wand and make the speeds faster for you.  You ONLY have two options.  Wait and deal with the slower speeds, or upgrade and be done with them.  

BTW....

@richknox wrote:

Now the new Gen 5 plans would cap me at 20 GB anytime data (not even 60% of what we previously used and less than half what I am paying for now) and it would cost me $130!

Where are you getting this plan and price from?   

I called and talked to sales. I upgraded with a better plan than I had before and it's cheaper.
The speed I've got since connecting to Gen 5 are way faster than before, even during peak hours.
richknox
Sophomore

Liz,
Thank you very much for the support and the progress on my problem. I let you know how the performance is around the last week of March. I sure hope that your guys are correct and that this will solve my problem. If you hear of a delay or something that would stop this change please let me know. Thank you again for your help.
Liz

You're welcome, Rich, I really do appreciate your understanding. I'll let you know if anything changes.

-Liz

Tnchargergirl
Freshman

I was getting 142 kbps last night and 370kbps tonight. All they can do is have me run speed tests and reset my modem. This is bs.