Extremely slow speeds off and on! New customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
russyoung2676
Sophomore

Extremely slow speeds off and on! New customer

extremely slow speeds off and on. I'm a new customer and the first night of service was terrible, only had 1mbps download speeds. Called tech and went through several tests and he stated definitely a problem and open a case #102740379. Tech stated I would receive a call within 24 hours but never did. Attempted to contact via facebook and no reply as of yet. Page states generally replies within a few hours and its been about 48. Now on a good note all day Saturday it was blazing fast for the most part at around 20mbps up until 9pm and it fell fast back down to anywhere from 1.5-6.0 mbps. Now today is sunday 8am and I couldn't hardly load this page 1mbps. I really dont believe your service is overloaded at this time of day! I havent canceled my old service "centurylink" whos as of now more reliable then your service. Please help!!
18 REPLIES 18
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Will be tomorrow before an official rep is here to reply.

Satellite speed will fluctuate depending on load and may be worse in some locations especially during nightly peak hours and on weekends.

Honestly, if you have ground cable internet then should not move to satellite. It is for those of us with no viable ground options.
russyoung2676
Sophomore

Don't exactly have good ground internet "dsl" 10mbps and works well for one device. You add a couple more devices and it pretty much dies! I told the sales lady at Hughes about my situation prior to purchasing and she assured me HughesNet was defiantly better and that multiple devices running at once wouldnt slow the service down like the dsl I have and would maintain the advertised 10mbps. She also went on to tell me how the FCC ranked HugesNet pretty good for delivering speeds that they advertise, so based on all that I signed up.     
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

If you have a 10 Mbps "inlet pipe", be it DSL or satellite and you attempt to "draw" data at a greater rate than 10 Mbps is it not common sense that thing are going to slow?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A speed of 10 Mbps is the same whether satellite or ground internet. So, if you did things on DSL that slowed you down at that speed then will be the same situation on satellite. Not meant to insult at all but that seems like common sense.

You start splitting the max speed between multiple devices at the same time then each will get a fraction of the max speed. 

she assured me HughesNet was defiantly better and that multiple devices running at once wouldnt slow the service down
They can review the sales call.
Amanda

Hello Russ

Thank you for your post, you've come to a great place to get help. I was able to locate your account and run diagnostics, but I don't see anything out of the norm. Since making this post have you seen any change in the speeds? If not, are you still running slow all day or just at night? Looking forward to getting this resolved

Thanks
Amanda
russyoung2676
Sophomore

Exactly how am I suppose to know how much data I'm pulling at one time with a couple devices running? My daughter is upstairs on YouTube and I'm trying to look up parts online and I have pages that take a long time to load. Now this was with dsl that ranged from 8-9.75mbps. I assumed that my dsl couldn't handle multiple devices and with several complaints in the area with my dsl company I thought I would check into sat internet. I don't know what makes you think I have a lack of common sense? I am by no means a computer genius or I.t. guy. I trusted the sales lady at huesnet that said sat internet wouldn't slow down with multiple devices running like my current dsl does. I get what your saying , can't download 20megs of data on 10meg line and expect quick results but your insults and this post has nothing to do with what I posted on this forum. Btw I posted all this from my dsl because my sat is crawling along at 2mbps at the moment but don't worry it will pick back up about midnight when I'm in bed.
russyoung2676
Sophomore

Hello, after reading several posts over the last few days I see my problem seems to be the same as many others. I think your service is overcrowded during certain times, makes sense but wasent aware that could be a problem upon purchasing. If you can review my sales call I wish you would because it is very misleading .
russyoung2676
Sophomore

with all the technology today you would think they would have found a way to accommodate everyone at anytime. What does area have to do with it? I really don't know. I mean as long as nothing is blocking the sat. I would think it would work the same wheather your in California or new York.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Honest answer, reality isn't like Star Trek. Even the most up to date satellites have limits. Only so much data can go up and down at one time, not an unlimited amount.
russyoung2676
Sophomore

Mainly at night to answer your question Amanda. Just ran a test topped out at 2.56 Mbps.
Amanda

Hi Russ

I am going to look for and review your call if available personally. If it is not available or satisfactory, we can discuss cancellation or an upgrade to our new service if you'd like. I will have an answer for you Monday. 

Thank you
amanda
dacarrigan
Spectator

HughesNet advertises that they are fast, yet when I run the speed test they are always in the red, it would be nice if I could get at least 50% of the speed spectrum..
dacarrigan
Spectator

Amanda, check into why Hughes Net is so slow, each time I run the speed test they are always in the red.  Hence your advertisements are wrong, it ain't fast
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hughesnet advertises that my plan has a max "up to" speed of 15 Mbps. I routinely get 21 to 27 Mbps.

We have thus far no clue what "in the red means", what system you have (HN7000s, HN9000, HT1100) what plan level you have within the un-named platform or where and under what conditions you are running these speed tests.

All advertising aside, anything can break and when it does it requires troubleshooting to determine the cause.

russyoung2676
Sophomore

Ok great thank you. Also if you do retrieve the call please listen to that part when I ask about the amount of data I get and what happens if I go over. Just ran a speed test had a hard time hitting 1mbps. Peaked at 1.76.
dacarrigan
Spectator

Amanda,  Why did it take me 30 minutes today to get logged on,  slow slow slow
Amanda

Hi Russ

Sorry for the delay. I listened to the first 5 minutes of your sales call and immediately understand what you're talking about. The agent did make guarantees and statements about our service that just are not true or possible. I will be sending this over to our sales manager here in the corporate office to take care of. 

With that said, I am absolutely open to letting you cancel your services without a termination fee. Please let me know if that is something you want to do and we'll start discussing the process. My apologies for all of this.

Thank you,
Amanda