Extremely slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrCRJP
Freshman

Extremely slow speeds

Hello again. We have a Gen5 setup, and are once again having problems like those described in my previous post: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Slow-or-dropping-connection/m-p/106700

When I can manage to connect to TMN at all, I've seen speeds as low as 28Kbps. Dial up speed! I can't connect to any sites because everything times out.
We recently had snow which turned to rain and slush and then ultimately re-froze. However, I've cleaned off the dish and power cycled the modem, to no avail.
Last time, the problem was resolved by switching us to a different beam. I currently see a 14.1.1 status code, and the connectivity test shows up to 40% packet loss.
Having someone look at our modem remotely would certainly be appreciated. I'm on my phone's data connection now, and would prefer to be able to use the service we're paying for instead!
PS: We were supposedly given tokens the last time this happened, but those tokens never actually showed up as credited to our account.
10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MrCRJP

A 14.1.1 State Code is "No devices connected", meaning the modem is not seeing any connected devices.  Is that a current state code?  It shouldn't be if you're viewing the System Control Center.  If anything, it should be a past state code.  

Do you know where your gateway is so that you can check if there is inclement weather there?  If not, you can look at Corrosive's site to determine where your gateway is so you can see if that's the case. 

It's likely that you won't hear anything from a rep until at least Monday.  I believe they're off Tuesday, so I hope Monday they reply.  

The code seemed really strange to me, for the reason you stated. It's cleared now, but I think that maybe the connection was going up and down, so maybe I caught that code while the modem thought the connection was down?

I'd considered the gateway location. It's Omaha, and doesn't look like they have bad weather currently.

I hope we can get this resolved soon!

Hello Todd,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for the frustration. After running diagnostics on the account, it seems everything is running adequately. I am only showing the error of no devices connected. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Thank you for your response, Felicia. Although things look adequate on that end, I just saw 600Kbps on TMN. That was after needing to reload the connection several times, because it repeatedly failed to connect to the test site. Our experience on this end is a mostly unusable connection. In fact, I'm replying with my phone's data connection because I failed to get an authentication token for this forum using our Hughesnet connection.

Is there anything else we can do on this end to troubleshoot this? We've had seriously degraded performance for several days now.

Todd,

If you could post your speed test results from testmy.net here. I will then have this escalated to our advance technical support, to further investigate.

For a more in-depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest.

Thanks,

*Felicia*

GabeU

@MrCRJP

Not to dissuade you from running and/or posting the speed tests requested by Hardy, but with you having Gen5 the speed testing instructions in the given link are a little outdated, though it's a good general guide for running them.  I'll post the full Gen5 testing instructions below, just so you have them and know the proper test file sizes and WiFi disabling procedure.  It's a copy and paste, so it looks a little "form letter" like.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

Thanks for the reply. Right now, wired directly to the modem with the wifi disabled entirely, I can't even connect to TMN, and loading the community page here takes minutes per page, failing multiple times. So, I'll not be able to post results yet. I'll try again through the day.

I did manage to do TMN with WiFi on my phone last night, with a manual test size. I saw a long latency with terrible speeds, followed by a burst into the 30Mbps range. Overall, the reported speed was about 1Mbps. We're not out of data and in FAP.

All of this may be moot, though, given the current community announcement: Some HughesNet customers are unable to access their service due to an issue with a network provider that carries a portion of our Internet traffic to our satellite gateways. Our engineers are monitoring our network and working closely with the provider to return service to normal as quickly as possible.
GabeU

@MrCRJP wrote:
All of this may be moot, though, given the current community announcement: Some HughesNet customers are unable to access their service due to an issue with a network provider that carries a portion of our Internet traffic to our satellite gateways. Our engineers are monitoring our network and working closely with the provider to return service to normal as quickly as possible.

Though anything's possible, I believe that particular issue, which was with CenturyLink, was rectified by Sunday, though the notification is still there.  

I think the following is you, and some of those speed test results are terrible, no doubt.  VERY low.  https://testmy.net/quickstats/MrCRJP

Hopefully you'll be able to connect and run a few more tests, but with your speeds being as low as the results are indicating I can certainly understand why you're having a difficult time doing so.  And I can also understand if the test size requested (25MB) times out before finishing, which it may with your speeds being as low as indicated thus far.  😞  

I'm sure @Hardy will see the link I posted and see the results of the tests thus far.  Though they haven't been run with the normal test sizes, as you most likely didn't know them at the time, the ones you have run are definitely indicating that there is a problem, or at least they are to me.  

You're correct, those were the tests I managed to run before everything started timing out. That was on a laptop directly connected to the modem. I just now ran 3 tests in a row on the same laptop and saw almost 50Mbps all 3 times, with the SSID enabled for the 3rd test. So.. the problem seems to have randomly resolved? The only thing I did this morning was to power cycle the modem and then reset the MBX.. but I should point out that I had previously done that several times with no effect.

I'm glad if this problem is resolved, but upset that we were without service for several days and still have zero certitude regarding the root cause of the problem and the recommended resolution.
maratsade

CenturyLink has not said what the problem was - it was their problem, not Hughesnet's, so Hughesnet can't say what the root of the problem was.   If the problem was with your network at home, then a Hughesnet rep will give you instructions for you to troubleshoot your side of the system, and they will look at the Hughesnet side.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@MrCRJP wrote:

I'm glad if this problem is resolved, but upset that we were without service for several days and still have zero certitude regarding the root cause of the problem and the recommended resolution.