cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow web page load times

Junior

Re: Extremely slow web page load times

@hamradio
That definitely does not seem normal. You may want to verify clear weather at both your location and the location of your gateway (@GabeU can probably help you find that). Hopefully the Reps can fix it for you!
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
Sophomore

Thanks, but it is a constant.  When clear here - and doubt it is always stormy at the HN earth station...

Assistant Professor

Seems time for @Liz@Amanda, or @Jorge to look into it for you.

Hi Woody,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I ran diagnostics on your site and didn't find anything that particularly stuck out. For the SSL errors, please try clearing your SSL state in your browser. The steps may vary by browser, but for Chrome, here's how to do it:

-Click the (Settings) icon, and then click Settings.
-Click Show advanced settings.
-Under Network, click Change proxy settings. The Internet Properties dialog box appears.
-Click the Content tab.
-Click Clear SSL state, and then click OK.

Please let me know if that makes any difference. Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Changing from AVG to Bitdefender rectified the Facebook logon issue.  Best I can tell, that and installing uBlock Origin, had little effect on web page load times.  Not enough difference, considering other variables, to say for sure...

Data consumption is still higher than I would expect considering the type of usage.   However a system sharing session with support may have contributed. 

Still evaluating...

Can anyone suggest a data usage monitor for Win7 that not only records overall usage, but specifically what program, service, web page, etc. is using the data?

Woody

Sophomore

Re: My post above...

Just ran some more web page load time experiments.   At least in the wee hours of the morning, I will say there actually is some improvement.  With all the changes, the load times are at faster.  About 60% of the times I have previously experienced.  Not too bad....

To be certain, need to run more tests later to smooth the data.

Distinguished Professor IV

@hamradio wrote:

Can anyone suggest a data usage monitor for Win7 that not only records overall usage, but specifically what program, service, web page, etc. is using the data?

Woody 

Absolutely.  Glasswire.  It's free and it monitors the data used by the Windows based computer its installed on.  It not only monitors overall data usage, but each specific program or Windows process that uses the data.  You can also see how much data is being used by site, though that's done by IP address and it's sometimes a little difficult to decipher.  Still, the site description often indicates what site it is. 

It's a fantastic program and perfect for figuring out where data is going.  Again, though, it only monitors the data used by the specific Windows based computer it's installed on.  

https://www.glasswire.com/

I should add that you should make sure to set the options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  This way it only monitors the data being used by the net (down and up) and not data being transferred back and forth internally.  

Screenshot (49).jpg

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Ok Woody, sounds good. Please keep us posted on your findings. I also suggest Glasswire, easy to use, and shows everything on your PC that connects to the internet.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

THANKS !

_W_

Sophomore

It has been a while...

Glasswire was interesting.  It reported more background data than I would have expected.  Have (yet) compared reported usage with that recorded by HN.

Still have slow connections to web sites.  Yesterday my 10GB was used-up and was throttled back from >25 Mbps to about 1 Mbps.   Don't do much video, where the result of slower speed may be more apparemt.   The interesting thing is that, for most sites I access, there is VERY little difference in web page load times.   The vast majority of delay is in the initial connection to the sites (TLS handshake, etc.).   Still sounds like a HN earth gateway bottleneck (?).  Considering going to the 20GB plan but wonder if it is worth it considering this issue.

Woody