cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow web page load times

Assistant Professor

Re: Extremely slow web page load times

CNN main page can take around 20 seconds to fully load, as in address circle to stop spinning, and that is with AdBlocker blocking 14 items. It is a heavily graphic page with lots of elements, many active .gif type images also.

Taking 75 seconds does seem excessive though. Are you using an adblocker @hamradio? They do significantly speed things up.

Distinguished Professor III

Wow.  I hadn't gone to Cnet in a long time, but that site is ridiculous.  It didn't take 90 seconds to open for me, but I can definitely see why it would take a lot longer than most others.  There are dozens and dozens of things that have to open on that webpage, and so many of them include pictures.  Sheesh!  

And I thought CNN, which I frequent, was bad.  SMH.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

Try using uBlock Origin. It will block ads and trackers while not eating up as many resources as other blockers. If you use Firefox, also turn on tracking protection.
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
Assistant Professor

Websites, especially news, are turning into multimedia panoramas on their main pages. They eat as much data as a short video clip.

Sophomore

I certainly agree that too many sites cram way too much graphic content in their opening / index page.  Not much we can do about that.   Sometimes I long for the times when I was accessing a local RBBS with my dialup CP/M (pre DOS) computer!  OTOH, no worldwide access without expensive long distance charges...  Guess I am showing my age.

The Fbook errors still happen from time to time.  Either timeouts or the ssl_error_too_long....   OTOH, if one is persistent it will eventually load.  Changing the DNS didn't fix those  ...But multiple reloads will.

Since page loads were so slow before I was throttled back, I get the impression the problem I have is with the HN earth gateway.  My page (albe24.com) with no load calls from elsewhere, loads pretty quickly.  When I guestioned this with phone support, they sort of ignored me and kept repeating my download speeds were fine.  Most page loads do not take significalnty longer (for lower graphic content pages)  at 0.85Mbps than they did at 30Mbps.   To look at the bright side, lower download speeds hardly impact my usage. Smiley Wink  

Not using an adblocker but going to look into doing so to see if that helps.  Will report back in about 3 days when my "normal" speed returns.  

Woody

Assistant Professor

Yeah, I wouldn't expect phone support to understand any complex issue. Most of those people work for a company that bid so low that they can barely pay their people peanuts. The people you're talking to likely have only the core qualifications of speaking some English and reading from a script.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Assistant Professor

When I say "bid" just want to make clear they are a service contracted to Hughes to do first tier helpdesk support, and are not HughesNet employees.

Anyway.. your handle reminds me I really need to re-run some coax to my longwire... maybe this week.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

Hope you get the antenna work done OK.   I am using  3 wire ants.  2 @ 68', 1 @ 110' -- Tower to 80' oak trees.  More details at albe24.com.

Woody - KZ4AK

Sophomore

Yep!  you are correct.  When I was having trouble with my Verizon 3G ISP, called them.

I had a 13 element beam at 50 feet pointed to their tower (Cradlepoint router and PC770 express card).  The measured EVDO signal strength was at -65dbm a lot of the time but would also drop to less than -125 dbm.  No fade, just died. - Then back up after an hour or two.  The person at support totally ignored the -65 dbm report and just kept repeating the mantra that I was in a fringe reception area - and their towers never had any problems.  How frustrating...  Here comes HN!

Sophomore

Speed has been restored (new billing period) and uBlock Origin installed.  Web page loads may be slightly faster, but for typical low graphics page, still slower than than my former 3G (1.5Mbps) isp.   Also FaceBook still fails to load (SSL error - too long, or time outs) anout 7 out of 10 attempts.  I guess it is, as they say, it is what it is....

Woody - KZ4AK