Extremely slow web page load times

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Extremely slow web page load times

I have been using HN for a little over a month.  Since the beginning, web page load times take from 30 seconds, to over 2 minutes, sometimes completely stalled.   I have seen posts about this, but found no solution.  Anyone help?

Have Gen5 with HT2000W "modem".  Same issue with several computers and browsers.   Download speeds tested by HN are usually 20 to 40 Mbps, uploads usually 1.5 or more.

Have reset the HT2000, flushed DNS, and turned off web accel to no avail.  HN support says my down/up speeds are fine and totally ignores my question about excessive page load times.  No help there....

I understand the 600-700 ms latency, but that cannot account for this issue.  This is very frustrating, especially since my previous 3G connection (1.5 down / 0.5 up) would load pages orders of magnitude faster than HN.   Sure could use more suggestions.   HELP  !!

Thanks, Woody - KZ4AK

36 REPLIES 36
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Seems time for @Liz@Amanda, or @Jorge to look into it for you.

Hi Woody,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I ran diagnostics on your site and didn't find anything that particularly stuck out. For the SSL errors, please try clearing your SSL state in your browser. The steps may vary by browser, but for Chrome, here's how to do it:

-Click the (Settings) icon, and then click Settings.
-Click Show advanced settings.
-Under Network, click Change proxy settings. The Internet Properties dialog box appears.
-Click the Content tab.
-Click Clear SSL state, and then click OK.

Please let me know if that makes any difference. Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Changing from AVG to Bitdefender rectified the Facebook logon issue.  Best I can tell, that and installing uBlock Origin, had little effect on web page load times.  Not enough difference, considering other variables, to say for sure...

Data consumption is still higher than I would expect considering the type of usage.   However a system sharing session with support may have contributed. 

Still evaluating...

Can anyone suggest a data usage monitor for Win7 that not only records overall usage, but specifically what program, service, web page, etc. is using the data?

Woody

Re: My post above...

Just ran some more web page load time experiments.   At least in the wee hours of the morning, I will say there actually is some improvement.  With all the changes, the load times are at faster.  About 60% of the times I have previously experienced.  Not too bad....

To be certain, need to run more tests later to smooth the data.

Ok Woody, sounds good. Please keep us posted on your findings. I also suggest Glasswire, easy to use, and shows everything on your PC that connects to the internet.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

THANKS !

_W_

It has been a while...

Glasswire was interesting.  It reported more background data than I would have expected.  Have (yet) compared reported usage with that recorded by HN.

Still have slow connections to web sites.  Yesterday my 10GB was used-up and was throttled back from >25 Mbps to about 1 Mbps.   Don't do much video, where the result of slower speed may be more apparemt.   The interesting thing is that, for most sites I access, there is VERY little difference in web page load times.   The vast majority of delay is in the initial connection to the sites (TLS handshake, etc.).   Still sounds like a HN earth gateway bottleneck (?).  Considering going to the 20GB plan but wonder if it is worth it considering this issue.

Woody

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hamradio wrote:

Can anyone suggest a data usage monitor for Win7 that not only records overall usage, but specifically what program, service, web page, etc. is using the data?

Woody 

Absolutely.  Glasswire.  It's free and it monitors the data used by the Windows based computer its installed on.  It not only monitors overall data usage, but each specific program or Windows process that uses the data.  You can also see how much data is being used by site, though that's done by IP address and it's sometimes a little difficult to decipher.  Still, the site description often indicates what site it is. 

It's a fantastic program and perfect for figuring out where data is going.  Again, though, it only monitors the data used by the specific Windows based computer it's installed on.  

https://www.glasswire.com/

I should add that you should make sure to set the options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  This way it only monitors the data being used by the net (down and up) and not data being transferred back and forth internally.  

Screenshot (49).jpg

Are you in Fair Access Policy mode? You can check at http://systemcontrolcenter.com/index.html#!/usage#%2F

If your Anytime Data is at 0%, you will be limited to download speeds typically 1-3.

GabeU's post is also helpful. However, I use Cloudflare's DNS which is 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Cloudflare claims it is the fastest DNS Server in the world.

Oh, and welcome to the community!

Ham Radio is pretty cool!

Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
jdvan1
Spectator

The slow web page loading is due to latency not data speeds.  The hughesnet server or satellite is overloaded and their reponse time is terrible.  We are being screwed by Hughes net when they only talk about data speeds. The problem is not data speed it is server/satelite reponse time. I'm serious thinking of taking this to small claims court.

maratsade

Latency is related to the laws of physics --  no court in the land will be able to change that.  Additionally, as per the Hughesnet contract, binding arbitration is the only way to legally solve disputes. Read the contract to see how this would work.  (Binding arbitration clauses are very common nowadays and you will find them in credit card documentation, bank documentation, ISP contracts, etc.  Hughesnet did not invent this.)

Don't think legal action would be easy / help, but I agree with the complaint.

I understand the 600 - 700 ms latency involving a geostat satellite.   I would need to use a stopwatch to add all of the "back & forth" data exchanges (~280ms latency, due to round trip to satellite - rest is Hnet) to load a typical web page to quantify properly.   OTOH, just observing the data activity and measuring the overall time to complete a page load seems to take much longer than just the satellite distance / latency time. I have had many pages take in excess of 45 to 90 seconds to finish loading. I also realize there is going to be some latency at the earth gateway.  But, I would not expect so much.   Pages are a little slower to load while I am (now out of data) throttled - back, but not by much.  Sad to say in many cases that 1Mbps will load a page as fast as 30Mbp due to delays at Hnet.   Admittedly, I can tell that when throttled-back, zooming-in with google/maps is just a little slower.  BTW, don't stream video much at all, so no opinion on that.

Woody

Just an FYI about where the latencies occur with geostat sattelites...

http://www.satsig.net/latency.htm

Double it. That's just the speed of light from you to the satellite. The satellite then has to send it to the groundstation in the west coast to get to the internet, which is nearly identical.

Doing the math, for me in Central Virginia to the satellite at -97.1071 (west) and roughly 36km up, then to the groundstation in San Diego is about 523ms. The rest is HughesNet and their upstream provider, which for me (Level3) is more often than not the biggest added problem - speedwise and latency.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@jdvan1 wrote:

The slow web page loading is due to latency not data speeds.  

No, it's not.  Latency, as noted, is a bit over a half second. That's it.  *  

If you'd like to work on the issue please start a new topic.  

* Edit:  The latency can be a bit higher than a half second under some conditions, as BirdDog has noted below, but not many seconds, or even minutes. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A single two way communication takes two round trips total to the satellite and back. So four 22,236 mile legs.

You--->Satellite(1)-->Earth(2)--->Satellite(3)--->You(4)

The math.....

22,236 x 4 = 88,994 miles

88,944/186,000 = 0.4781935483870968

So.......

The perfect laboratory conditions would equal 478ms. This is not counting any real world delays like slowness of the Internet servers, processing signals, traffic delays, etc. These other delays boost the latency to over 500ms minimum and double or more under some conditions.