Exttremely slow web page load times

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Exttremely slow web page load times

This is not a latency issue and is not consistent with HN speed tests.

My system: Win7, i7, Firefox, Bitdefender

"Modem" Signal: 111          Web Accel is on.

HN speed test:  Down: 137,  Up: 0.42

Web page load times using HN has always been slow for me.    Now it is ridiculous!  For example, the time from click to the time MyHughsnet.com loaded was *TWO MINUTES*.

A power off reset did not help.   In the bottom left browser information display, most time is spent "waiting for XXXX", and some "transfering".

In no way does this reflect the transmission speeds indicated by HN.

What can be done so that my HN connection speed will exceed dial-up?

Thanks,

Woody  -  KZ4AK

72 REPLIES 72
hamradio
Senior

Can't even use my online ham contact log effectively.  "Waits" nearly forever trying to access aws...

Forgot to mention...  PC is connected to HT2000W via Ethernet (wired).

Hello Woody,

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear about the slow speeds you are receiving. I have made some adjustments to the modem in hopes your speeds improve. You should notice a difference in a few hours. Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Thanks...  If appears to be a bit faster loading presently, but it is off prime time.  Will need more sampling to decide if it helped.

Curious, what changes were made?

Woody

Woody,

I have reset your DNS cache which clears IP addresses in the modem, I reset the MBX which resets the web acceleration between the server and the client, I reset the web acceleration in the modem, I did a force reassociation which reassociates the connection to the network, and a force range which replaces the signal to the satellite. 

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Felicia,

Thanks for the info.  While it *may* have helped a little, it still took one minure (start to finish) to load the myhughsnet.com site.   That, along with things like long file download times (for the size) and buffering of relatively low resolution youtube video, still does not reflect what one would expect from the download speed reported by HN speedtest. 

This issue is not completly consistent.  Some times bad, sometimes worse. 

A second question, why is my upload speed only 0.4 to 0.5?

????????????????????

Woody

Woody,

I would like to see what kind of speeds you are receiving on your end. If you have not already, please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread. Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file -space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like this example

For a more in-depth guide on running the tests, please visit: Speed Test

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Felicia,

Below are a number of speed checks I have performed.  All test reports are good.  That is consistant with prior checks.  Web sites might load reasonably fast sometimes, other times, very slowly.  It does not seem to be tied to the reported speeds.  Sometimes web loads are very very slow even when the checks indicate a blazing fast download speed.

--
All download test using 25 MB, Upload 6 MB
----------------------------------------------------------

12 DEC  9:41 PM EST  (13 DEC 02:31 UTC)
Download: 52.2 Mbps
12 DEC  9:57 PM
Upload: 1.4 Mbps
---
13 DEC  09:5 AM EST  (14:53 UTC)
Download:  77.3 Mbps
13 DEC 10:01 AM EST  (15:01 UTC)
Upload:  2.3  Mbps
---
13 DEC  6:27 PM  (23:27 UTC)
Download:  72.4 Mbps
Upload:  2.1 Mbps
--
13 DEC 8:16 PM  (14 DEC 01:16 UTC)
Download:  62.9 Mbps
--
13 DEC 8:19 PM
Time to load myhughesnet.com, this occasion :  30 seconds.   Not great but better....
As I mentioned the web load times vary.  Can't discover a pattern or time.
If always like right now or better, would not be complaining...
Please note that sometimes, even when speed check indicates very fast, the
web loads can be very slow.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It would be much more helpful if you  posted the link to your results page on Testmy.net, like Felicia instructed. Also, your upload test should be 4 MB.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

I will try to go back and locate the link.

I would have run 4MB, but the choices presented ran 3 MB, 6 MB.  no choice for 4.

maratsade

The choice for 4 is located under "More sizes."  You just need to scroll down.

This forum has failed to save my posts two times (for two test series).  I did not save them and they are lost.  Will run more and post.

Woody

These results are slower than usual, especially the download.
Web page load times have been extremely slow with much faster
test results.  Do not believe it is down/up speed related.

Note that PC is on UTC, not Eastern Time

https://testmy.net/db/dMkeCrE-9

https://testmy.net/db/03fFdHDU9

maratsade

This is the URL you need to post:  https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK

It collects all the tests you run and provides the Hughesnet people with a whole bunch of data, so it is a lot more useful than providing URLs to individual tests. 

OK, but again, the slow web page loads are not related to testmy.net speed results.   Web loads can be very slow even when speed test results are very high...

Many web pages contain a ton of images, css, cookies, and javascript that must be loaded to make the site work. Embedded ads can require a whole litany of these by themselves. Each link to one of these takes a ping over the satellite. Each ping takes roughly a half-second to process. Depending upon the number of plugins, themes, and images a site has, page loads can take a lot longer than terrestrial internet (including phone)... sometimes in the minutes depending upon how the site expects them to be loaded. Engaging a tracking and ad blocker may help speed it up somewhat.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I understand latency, image size, etc., but that does not explain the extended "waiting" times to access sites.  Latency can add a few 10s of seconds and image sizes can vary, but the time can vary from short to a very long time for the same web site.  Does not explain a large amount of buffering when downloading a small youtube video either.  I am running uBlock.   It does not matter that the tested download speed can be very fast.  Sounds more like gateway issues at HN.

Does it take 2 minutes for you to load myhughesnet.com????  

Thanks,

Woody

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Going to throw this out here for everyone to digest.

Below are my system beam/gateway numbers. Quite some time back an engineer (I'm assuming would take someone at that level) changed my Outroute ID to something like 35. My performance tanked hugely, something similar to what hamradio seems to be experiencing. Luckily I'm pretty obsessive about keeping the numbers written down about my configuration and saw the ID had been changed. I begged one of the mods here to please change it back and they did so within about 24-48 hours as I remember. Sure enough everything went back to normal.

Point I'm making is there are settings on HughesNet's end that may seem innocuous but can make a huge difference when it comes to performance. Not saying it is exactly what is happening here only that there are many variables in a complex system that can have considerable impact upon how the customer's site performs.

Capture.PNG

@hamradio wrote:

I understand latency, image size, etc., but that does not explain the extended "waiting" times to access sites. 

Does it take 2 minutes for you to load myhughesnet.com???? 

Sometimes. Again, image sizes are usually in the k. Their size is where the download speed kicks in. But that's not the problem. The problem is that each one takes time. Some items are "above the fold" items that block page display until they are loaded. For example, just in the <head> section alone, you have:
1. a favicon.ico image and four separate resolutions of apple-touch-icon (for Safari)
2. a dynamic php-driven stylesheet (rescon.css) in a script

3. a query-driven database script (sadlib)
4. six separate javascripts for applets/plugins
5. five separate javascripts for ads

Each of those has to load, run, and/or get information from a database with your customized site info before the page display can even start (this is called "blocking") and each database querie takes several pings too.

Then in the <body> you have several images, external links and scripts (hopefully run asynchronously) which still have to be accessed and loaded.

See where I'm going with this? It's not the latency of one item that's causing the overall speed issue. It's the compounded latency of everything in serial.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

All very valid points - Thanks.  However, I visit several web sites that are generally static on the first page (i.e: image content can change, but the size and number of images remain the same and sourced by the site itself) and the load time can vary wildly.  Same is true when retrieving an online "logbook" I have - and I know when it changes (and it is only a little text when it does).  Also, is sitting with inactivity while the browser reports "waiting" on aws (Amazon Web Services)  for 10s of seconds to a minute all from blocking?   

The past couple of days myhughrenet.com has finished loading in 45 +- seconds.  OTOH, just before that was a slow period that took 2-3x longer.   Must have been a huge content change between days?

What you are saying is very true, but does not logically fit my exact symptoms...

Woody