Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exttremely slow web page load times

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Exttremely slow web page load times

@hamradio wrote:

Oh, and I agree...  AWS seems to be the slowest of the slow...

_W_

Also apparent with their video streaming service. Maybe they do everything on a single server. Smiley Wink

Assistant Professor

My issues with AWS are really security-related. Seems they cater to quite an adventurous bunch on their hosting side, causing me to become Blocky Balboa: 34 .htaccess "Deny from" lines of single and netblocked IP ranges from AWS. Almost as much as I have for China.

As for what to do... we're on the same beam (68 - reading back) so pehaps @Amanda or @Liz can raise the issue to someone in networking, so they can let Level3 know to fix their erratic San Diego gateway connection. Whether that's successful or not, we're still at the mercy of Level3's level of competence. #fwiw

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

Also tried to ping.  Worked for HN, but not most others...

attached example...ping1.JPG

Assistant Professor

If the traceroute was timing out in spots, the pings would definitely timeout. Traceroutes are basically incremental pings to each hop along a route. One ping to the end destination is going to inevitably timeout at the hop that was timing out during the traceroute.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

I messaged Liz about the issue.  Hope she can help!

Assistant Professor

Did some cursory checking here during a relatively light period, and it looks like the Level3 server handling SDO068 (and possibly all of SDO) is fubar.

Everything, and I mean everything is timing out right after that hop.

Junior

Hi Mark...

I can believe that!   Question is, how to fix the issue.  I contacted phone support and *finally* got them to involve "engineering".  Eng was to call back, but after over two days, nothing from them. 

Woody

Assistant Professor

Not to worry. I think things are happening.

But like I said, it's a Level3 issue. All HN can do is poke them in the eye.

Junior

Called support again.   Was able to convice the person that resetting my modem would not fix my trouble.  They said my (last) call was Saturday and I need to wait until at least through Wednesday for a return call from Eng.  .. 

Guess that is it for now with them....

Junior

I will gladly supply the pointy stick!!!!  Smiley Wink