Exttremely slow web page load times

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Exttremely slow web page load times

This is not a latency issue and is not consistent with HN speed tests.

My system: Win7, i7, Firefox, Bitdefender

"Modem" Signal: 111          Web Accel is on.

HN speed test:  Down: 137,  Up: 0.42

Web page load times using HN has always been slow for me.    Now it is ridiculous!  For example, the time from click to the time MyHughsnet.com loaded was *TWO MINUTES*.

A power off reset did not help.   In the bottom left browser information display, most time is spent "waiting for XXXX", and some "transfering".

In no way does this reflect the transmission speeds indicated by HN.

What can be done so that my HN connection speed will exceed dial-up?

Thanks,

Woody  -  KZ4AK

72 REPLIES 72

I will gladly supply the pointy stick!!!!  😉

Called support again.   Was able to convice the person that resetting my modem would not fix my trouble.  They said my (last) call was Saturday and I need to wait until at least through Wednesday for a return call from Eng.  .. 

Guess that is it for now with them....

Thanks for reaching out, Woody. I've escalated to the appropriate folks and will let you know. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Mark, Liz...

"Engineering" just called.   Got no specifics, other than there have been a number of complaints from my region, the issue is under investigation, that it may take a month or more to resolve,  and gave me a case number to reference.  Also said HN would put a 6 month  rate reduction in place as compensation for the poor connectivity.

I hope they can resolve the problem.  I would much prefer to have connectivity restored instead of a billing reduction, but maybe this is a step in the right direstion.  

Woody

Glad to hear you got compensation, Woody. Once I hear from the folks I've e-mailed I'll let you know once I have anything to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks Liz,

Will be on the lookout for further developments.

For now, no real change.  Sat signal is 116 and the timeouts persist.  Also shown in the modem report.

tracert4.jpgWoody

Trace to HN not doing well either.  Sort of surprised I can make a post...

Woodytracert5.jpg

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hamradio

You misspelled hughesnet in the traceroute.  

Just letting you know.  

Edit:  I ran traces to both of those and saw similar results, yet I'm not having the issues you are.  

qrz.JPGhughs.JPG

No spel ck in Cmd Prompt!

Situation is still horrible here.  It took over 6 minutes to get into myhughesnet and here.  Also, tonight  email is even failing.  (Thunderbird to dot5hosting.com).

As usual the speed is OK -- When something is happening besides waiting inactivity.

Download
https://testmy.net/db/Z1b9fKdvj
Upload
https://testmy.net/db/qIh7Qd~5N

Nearly all the time is reported as "waiting" by Firefox whe loading a web page.  No apparent activity during that time. 

Still timeouts galore when doing a tracert to about anywhere.

"Engineering" has had a trouble ticket on this for a while, but have not heard anything - And obviously the situation has not improved.

Any way to give them a query and find out what is (or is not) happening?

Woody

GabeU

@hamradio

Something is obviously not right if your speeds are that good, but you're having such a time with sites taking so long to open.  

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different browser?  I don't know that it would make any difference, and it probably won't, but I've seen wackier things.  Also, have you tried starting your computer in safe mode with networking to see if there is any difference when accessing the internet?  Again, I don't know that there would be, and if you've tried accessing with other devices and still had the same problem, it would, of course, be a waste of time to even try, as it would suggest that it's not anything having to do with your devices.  

I know it's been nearly a week now, but I'm sure @Liz hasn't forgotten about you.  

Good morning Woody,

I appreciate your patience as your case was looked at by our engineers here at corporate. They noticed packet loss over wifi, especially with the iPad. Let's simplify and stick with a wired computer for troubleshooting.

To be certain the wired computer is the only device using the internet connection during this test, please disable the wifi in your wifi settings in the System Control Center. (Just let us know if you need a reminder on where to find that)

Are you now currently seeing slow loading pages while directly connected to the modem? 

Which sites did you try?

Hi Liz,

Not sure why there is packet loss on the iPad, the signal is strong.  Anyway, not the issue...

Have already tried disabling wifi and useing only the ethernet connected "main" PC.  Made no difference.

The waiting time can vary but have not traced to a single site.  Sometimes pretty quick, other times you can time the web site load with a calendar!  One of the worst is qrz.com that uses s3.amazonaws.com, but can be almost any site.   As I mentioned, the other evening, it took 6 minutes to get to myhughesnet.com and reach this forum.  Not so bad today...   For a reference, a friend using a different ISP went to  qrz.com.  He reported that he could not time the access well since it was nearly instantanous.  Admittedly, he does not have sattelite latency, but...

Woody

Thanks Woody, that's what engineering observed on your site, so we're gonna focus on your home network.

Let's review how each device is being used. For engineering's understanding, please describe how you use each device, as well as in what typical scenario do you encounter slow loading pages.

For example, I experience slow downs when I use my PC directly connected to the modem to access my banking site and email. Then I use my iPad in the kitchen to stream Netflix in the evenings.

Understanding what's on your network and how you're using it may help shed light for engineering regarding your packet loss.

Liz,

I experience slow downs when I use HughesNet!  😉  Sorry, had to say that...

iPAD - wifi packet loss may be an issue for the iPAD, but seems unrelated to the primary problem.  The problem persists with the Notebook and iPAD off and wifi turned off.  Packet loss between the HT2000W - Echostar - ground station may be another issue, but I can't directly do anything about that.

I have tested multiple configurations, at various times, and with only the "main" PC connected by Ethernet.   Slow performance does vary in how bad it is, but I cannot limit it to any configuration or any specific web site, or time.   It does not matter what other devices may, or may not be, in use (same issue with all but "main" PC connected via Ethernet,  wifi on or off).  No way it could be a local network loading issue.  

Often visit QRZ.com (my log book data site, facebook.com ,  wuderground.com, kz4ak.com, and many others when doing research, or just surfing.  

I also get ~20 timeouts out of 30 hops every time I do a tracert to qrz.com.   Some other sites, less.   (see image: two traces hours apart).  The timeout pattern and numbers can change with different trace times and IPA destinations.  I would think this means something, but I do not know what.

GabeU,

If I had your connectivity, I would be very happy!

Hope we can resolve this.  Thanks for hanging in....

Woody

Two things..

Gabe,

Sometimes, on a good day, I might get your performance, but it is not the rule...

...And here is the image omitted from my previous post.tracert 10JAN.jpg

GabeU

@hamradio 

This is mine tonight.  Not very good for the trace, but I'm not having any load time issues.  BTW, I think the reason yours says "direcway.com" and mine says "hnremote.net" is because I'm using Google's DNS and not HughesNet's.  

Also, though I don't know that it would matter, have you tried an alternate DNS just to see what would happen?  I know it only resolves the IP address, so it may only help if the problem is the initial fetching of the page to open, but you never know.   

Trace.JPG

Thanks Woody, I've sent your feedback over to engineering for their evaluation.

Thanks Liz,

Hope the info helps!

An interesting footnote...  My granddaughter is visiting and exhausted my data allocation and bonus data.  Even throttled-back, I can hardly detect any difference in the overall throughput.

Woody

@Liz wrote:

Thanks Woody, I've sent your feedback over to engineering for their evaluation.

Hi Woody, 

We noticed you were out of data, and so did our engineers. We provided you with some data so our engineers can monitor your performance over the weekend.

Hi Liz,

Since I could not notice a performance change, was not too worrried about runninng out of data.  But thanks, especially if needed for further testing.

Today performance is on the better side.  It took only 30 seconds to load qrz.com, 20 seconds to load cnn.com, and 25 seconds to load facebook.  If only it will stay this way...   

Hope this post works - I am getting a warning: "Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication."

The post failed, so here is try number 2...

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@hamradio wrote:

Hi Liz,

Since I could not notice a performance change, was not too worrried about runninng out of data.  But thanks, especially if needed for further testing.

Today performance is on the better side.  It took only 30 seconds to load qrz.com, 20 seconds to load cnn.com, and 25 seconds to load facebook.  If only it will stay this way...   

Hope this post works - I am getting a warning: "Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication."

The post failed, so here is try number 2...

That qrz.com site takes about 30 seconds to load for me, as in browser circle to stop spinning, and my system performs quite well 99% of the time. They've got a whole bunch of graphics with links and it takes time to load them all. Sounds like that is about as good as it gets. Like you say, hopefully will stay that way.