FB call latency and YoutubeTV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bronccat
Junior

FB call latency and YoutubeTV

Searched the forums and only finding older posts.

Two major issues:
Latency on FB msgr calls and Google voice is so bad its unmanageable. We usually just laugh and give up.

YoutubeTV: I can stream "ok" from the tv (wifi) but my phone is horrible. Constant buffering, like it times out.

Both on lowest or near res.

Consumption has been crazy on Hulu - but no buffering except at the beginning.

TIA
3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

Unfortunately, there's not really anything that can be done about the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet.  Because of that latency, any type of VOIP service will always have a very noticeable delay.  It can also cause problems with the functioning of the VOIP service, as in it not working properly, though system congestion can also add to this, and lately there can be a significant amount of said congestion because of so many more people being online than would normally be the case. 

Regarding the YouTube, you can try turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver, though with the resolution already being low it likely won't help much, if at all.  That it's okay on your TV, but not on your phone, could be due to the app itself.  You could also try alternating to the other WiFi band (5GHz vs 2.4GHz, and vice versa) with your phone, if it can, to see if that makes any difference.

Thank you. I have not had the video data saver turned on so perhaps it is the app. I will try the service via my browser.

As for VOIP, that sucks but it is what it is.

Thank you!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

You're very welcome.  🙂