FCC Broadband Report Ranks HughesNet #1 in Meeting Advertised Performance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

FCC Broadband Report Ranks HughesNet #1 in Meeting Advertised Performance

Folks, it works, pure and simple. If your system isn't working up to par, then it can and should be fixed.
December 5, 2016 - Second Consecutive Year as Top Performer Among All Major Broadband Services
http://www.hughes.com/company/newsroom/press-releases/fcc-broadband-report-ranks-hughesnet-number-1-...

FCC Report here: https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/reports/measuring-broadband-america/measuring-fixed-broadband-r...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
19 REPLIES 19
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Folks, it works, pure and simple. If your system isn't working up to par, then it can and should be fixed"

Very true.

It is the very nature of computers and networks to have issues crop up.

Some are hardware related (modem, ODU, Gateway) while others are software related. Example some people are having connection issues after installing one of the latest Microsoft updates.

Some issues such as speed can be Hughes network related.

Any issue needs proper troubleshooting to determine and correct the root cause. One of the best ways to do that is to post right here in the Hughes Community.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Waiting for the replies.......wrong......wrong.....all lies. Lol.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

More fake news, intended to sway the election...
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Some folks are looking for "blame" while the rest of us are looking for "cause" and some of course just don't get it.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Shhhh!

Many moons ago when I repaired ATC radios every once in awhile a problem would come along that took me weeks to solve. One bad component would lead to another, then another, then another........you get the idea.

Those experiences taught me new troubleshooting techniques and patience even after I thought I knew everything there was to know about fixing radios. 

Satellite internet is so much more complicated than those radios, and then there are the customers devices. Said before it is amazing it all works as well as it does. And the satellite is 22K+ miles up in space, not on a workshop bench where it can be repaired hands on.
mdhobbs

And then there are some with truly legitimate issues that others scoff at, claiming, incompetence, faulty equipment, ignorance, etc. After the technician left here last Tuesday, the culprit is now known; a dieing satellite. A lot of people have put significant effort into attempting to help me with my data and speed issues and I sincerely thank you all. It is now wait and hope for a successful launch of the replacement satellite. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

"Spaceway 3 dying?"

Overloaded? probably. Older technology? for sure. But dying? I haven't read this anywhere. Can you post the link to the source for this information? 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There had been at least two major shutdowns of Spaceway3 . Hard to say how many functions are assigned to redundant systems. That might affect capacity .
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Fake news is great. Throw it out and see if it sticks.

Spaceway 3 is old and doesn't have the throughput capacity of the newer satellite but it is alive.

Who knows, maybe they will give people who stay with Spaceway unlimited data once the newest satellite is up and operational. My contribution to fake news. : )
GW
Advanced Tutor

Whoa, I hope Spaceway doesn't fall on my house when it croaks off. I wonder if I should put up the shields?
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Waiting for the replies.......wrong......wrong.....all lies. Lol.
Followed by a report to the BBB.
maratsade

GW, ready countermeasures.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Maybe not:

"For geostationary satellites, it requires a big burst of fuel to deorbit and crash back to Earth, roughly 1,500 meters per second. In contrast, boosting that same satellite up to the graveyard orbit only takes a change of velocity of 11 meters per second. Alas, a satellite needs to do more than go fast to make it to the satellite graveyard — changing orbits also requires functional attitude controls, which not every aging satellite can pull off with grace.

By now, it's standard practice to retire old satellites in stable storage orbits 300 kilometers above the functional high geosynchronous orbits. It's a retirement home for elderly spacecraft, where they can admire the view and shuffle around peacefully without constantly having young whippersnapper satellites dodging around them. Best of all, it has a nice, healthy buffer between it and the functional satellites, so even if a retired satellite gets a bit wonky in its orbit, it won't go staggering into active traffic without warning.

At the moment we have over a hundred satellites in the graveyard orbit. For now, it's working. But eventually, with more satellites retiring upwards and onwards, sooner or later we're going to get collisions in the graveyard orbit. A high-orbit collision would produce space junk with a long residency time, endangering active satellites."

http://gizmodo.com/where-do-satellites-go-to-die-1572821932

maratsade

Star Trek makes it look so much easier.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Capt. Kirk could never fit in the turbo-lift these days 🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hey, watch it! This is a family friendly forum. There shall be no insults to Capt. Kirk here! 😉
maratsade

Capt. Kirk remains powerful and well connected across the sector, all from his BarcaLounger at the Starfleet Retirement Home, I'll have you know.  He doesn't need no turbolifts.
Liz

Thanks for sharing this, Alan!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!