cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FCC Chairman Plans to Expand Life Line Program to Internet

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: FCC Chairman Plans to Expand Life Line Program to Internet

I have to agree, especially for the younger generations, the internet is a necessity if they want to be competitive professionally. Access at home is not a luxury for them.
Highlighted

Yes I do I live 35 miles from Tulsa and 30 Miles from Stillwater with a few real small towns within 14 miles.  Now my Son lives 6 miles away he doesn't have internet at his place at all.  Sometime he has a need to get online for something, he either comes, to my house, or he'll call me, on the phone, and I'll look it up for him.  Internet is not a necessity.
Highlighted

Tell that to my husband who lost his job during the financial collapse. He spent hours on the internet every day sending resume's and job applications since that was the only way employers were accepting them.

That is the reality of today's world. Dealing with large corporations means having open access to the internet. 

Are you suggesting he should have driven to our library 40 mins away every day to look for a job on the internet?
Highlighted

No I am saying you had what you could afford at the time so good for you.  Now if it comes down internet or pay the rent, by all means pay the rent, or mortgage, there is always a way around the internet if need be.  Yes I spent many hours filling out online applications myself.  Likewise my Son needed to find another job and came by the house and used one of my PCs, my Daughter brought her Lap Top over and used my Wi-Fi for a search, there is a way, or an excuse, on any endeavour. 
Highlighted

But you're suggesting that others should pay for service that is next to unusable since they can not afford what has become a necessity. Some how the two don't go together.

Your children are lucky you're close enough to offer them the service. Most situations none of the family has internet so their only option is to travel in to town.
Highlighted

Hey Jezra I also wonder, "On a political side note: lifeline was started by Reagan, expanded by Bush, but it is referred to as "obamaphone". Smiley Happy"

That is why I never use that term myself, but if it is in an article that I have copied I leave it there. I think it was the woman on some network can't remember which.  Who was yelling: "Obama gave me a phone he gave me a free phone, I got a ObamaPhone".  The thing went viral over the air and internet.
Highlighted

Me neither I saw it on Fox News Channel, now I remember.
Highlighted

If used the same way, the Lifeline program will be more of a subsidy to existing programs rather than establishing "special" Lifeline programs, and if that's the case the poor either will still do without it and make due, because they will state they cannot afford an additional expense. Now some companies will provide "lower tier" internet, but it doesn't qualify as "broadband" which I think the min req for BB is 25Mbps. So while the phone program works because there is a limited amount for usage despite the phone provided for free, broadband internet access would have to be similarly monitored and regulated. My other wonder is if BB is now considered any speeds over 25Mbps, then DSL cannot be considered broadband either, I've never seen a shared DSL/Phone line provide more than 5Mbps, or at least all the times I used to have DSL, I never got near that speed.
Highlighted

Hey Thomas

I do agree with you; one thing most folks fail to mention,  Life Line Phones are outdated and only have talk and text, or, they are a land line.  Any other add ons, phones, Internet, or whatever they have to pay for.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Sure someone mentioned it before...

In all honesty, I am against this for how they intend to use it.  But if such a system where we paid a small tax went to providing DSL expansion where no one has a wired infrastructure, I would be all for it...  But who expects AT&T, Verizon, and other DSL providers to actually do what they are supposed to do?