cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Access - Connectivity Restored

Associate Professor

Re: Facebook Access - Connectivity Restored

Accessing via proxy server means you are accessing Facebook via a different route, as in, you are avoiding what could be the potential breaking point.

Typically it goes like this:
Your computer > Router > Modem > Satellite in space > Ground Gateway > Outside Network 1 > Outside Network 2 > Outside Network 3 > Destination.

If you use a proxy, it would look a bit like this:
Your computer > Router > Modem > Satellite in space > Ground Gateway > Outside Network 1 > Proxy > Alternate Network 2 > Alternate Network 3 > Destination

Also, it is not wise to use a third party proxy, as you are entrusting them with secure content, and they can see everything you do, as well as log it.  This is the number one way to have personal information hijacked.
Associate Professor
Highlighted

FB is working now through Hughes for me, so thanks to tech for working on this issue. Though I am not thrilled that this issue was being blamed on sources outside of Hughes...I still say that this was indeed a Hughes issue as looking through this forum this seems to happen quite often. It makes no sense what so ever that I had no issues accessing Fb through my phone and elsewhere but not through my Hughes at home. I surely hope this is not going to be an ongoing issue but I'm not to confident after reading about all the past issues with this. 

Grrrrr...ok spoke too soon...not working again!!
Associate Professor

For those still having issues, try each of the following links, and let me know which do, or do not work.

beta.facebook.com
or
m.facebook.com
or
https://www.facebook.com
or
http://facebook.com

Each one of those resolve to a different address, so you would be connecting to entirely different facebook servers.

Alternatively, try an alternate DNS such as Google DNS, and reboot your modem, router, and computer, and do a DNS flush then try facebook again and report back with your results.
Google DNS Information:
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

How to flush DNS:
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+To+Clear+Your+DNS+Cache

13h11608413420

I'm still not able to get on facebook.  I powercycled my modem and router but still nothing. My husband is an IT professional and he doesn't feel comfortable putting our modems serial number on a forum so I just hope this gets fixed soon.
Associate Professor

Figure I will try to clear up a few things, and maybe educate some people, lets assume your gateway is located in Billings Montana.  Everything you do on your Hughesnet connection will go through the Gateway.  Now, due to how routing tables work, if Facebook was located in Wisconsin, you would go through where I have placed Hop #1.  On a normal day, and if the stars align, you will always go from 1, to 2, to 3, and so on, as depicted by the black line.  However, this isn't always the case.  Let's assume things work as they should, but for some reason Hop #4 on the black line goes dark, or is heavily congested due to an attack.  Usually routers will re-route traffic, so Hop #4 could be in Kansas, then go up to Omaha.  But many times, things don't work as they should, because lets face it, you would be very lucky to stay on the same Level 3 network the whole way to Facebook.  You usually get off on other networks.  So lets assume Hop #4 isn't owned by Level3 and is owned by AT&T (Yes, AT&T has a large infrastructure just like this one).  For some reason, Level3 keeps trying to use Hop 4, but it's dead, thus breaking the link to Facebook, all because the AT&T router is advertising to others, "Hey, I am open, send me stuff if it needs to go to this destination!".

For those that say, "This must absolutely be a Hughesnet issue, proxies work just fine!".  While a proxy may work, going through a proxy drastically changes the route you take to get to a website.  Now, all your traffic goes through that proxy and along the path highlighted in blue, but look at the Blue line, the Proxy sits between hop #2 and #3, this giving us a very different path, and avoids the trouble spot, being Hop #4 on the Black line.

As I said, this is an over-simplified explanation and map, and does not show the real path anything takes, nor the several locations of where a Facebook server/CDN may, it's far more complicated than this, and not every website you visit takes the same route.  But hopefully, this clears up some misunderstandings.

Getting this fixed, if it is a routing issue of some form, could take time, it requires whoever owns which ever network that users are going through.
Associate Professor

"IT professional and he doesn't feel comfortable putting our modems serial number on a forum".

No one can do anything with that serial number, it's not something that can give anyone outside of the moderators here access to anything related to you.

i have not been able to connect to FB since early AM EST  but can access all other sites,   my modem id# B3 0010490327 A7