cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Facebook Issues... Reps?

@Liz @Amanda @Damian @Jay @Hardy 

Is there any way I might be able to get one of you to remotely take a look to make sure everything is okay with my HughesNet equipment?  I have a tree that's grown up considerably, and it's difficult to tell if it's starting to be in the way.  My signal strength is good, usually at around 100 or so, but you never know.  I'm able to remove the tree if I need to.   

Also, is there anything that can be done to purge my modem or reset it or something to get rid of any old stuff, if that would have any effect, that is.  I'm having a heck of a problem with Facebook, which seems to be singular to me, and it's not my devices, as it's the same on all three of my computers, with each using different AV and browser extensions.  You can see the whole Facebook debacle here.  I just didn't know if maybe there was something with the modem that could be "jogged", so to speak, to maybe fix this issue, as I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and things others have suggested, as well.  It's only Facebook.  Other sites are fine.  And that's what's odd.  

Thanks.  🙂  

66 REPLIES 66
GabeU

@Liz 

I first noticed it about a month or so back.  I was trying to post some info or instructions concerning the 5Ghz WiFi, and it kept bleeping out a good bit of he paragraph.  I would try changing he wording, and it would do it again.  

I sent a PM to you on 7/13 concerning this issue, which included snapshots of a PM I was sending to someone, and in which it was doing the same thing, as in bleeping arbitrary information.  I don't know if you'll still be able to see it.

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the details, I found it after some digging. It was right next to another PM you sent me about another champ and I must have missed it. In any case, the support ticket has been submitted, so we'll see what our provider says. Thank you!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

It just gets crazier and crazier.  Today, so far, I can barely run any testmy.net tests, as they're getting "stuck".  The progress goes along to a certain amount, then just stops.  After waiting a minute or two, I finally X out of the page and start over.  I did get one to finish running, though it got stuck for a short time, too.  I should add that, when the test gets stuck, the service is still working just fine, as I can continue to open web pages and whatnot, though the test progress getting stuck would indicate that my internet pretty much died, mid test, which isn't actually the case.

The one that came "unstuck" after a bit of time...

Capture.JPG

I noticed that this started happening around the same time as the Facebook issue, though it's not normally anywhere near this bad.  I'm going to reboot my modem from the SCC to see if it helps.  If it doesn't, I'll wait a few, then try power cycling the modem, which I already did about twenty minutes ago.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit:  Neither rebooting nor power cycling, nor even changing the DNS back to default (HughesNet's), seemed to make any difference.  I do see that I'm on the same "channel" though, being 0109.  I'll try rebooting again in a while, to try to get it off of that "channel".  New test....

Capture.JPG

The "channel" I'm referring to...

Capture1.jpg

maratsade

This is such a bizarre case. I do hope you or Hughesnet can get to the bottom of it.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

This is such a bizarre case. I do hope you or Hughesnet can get to the bottom of it.  

You and me both.  But, after many tries, I finally did get it onto a different channel, as in 0104, and the tests are no longer sticking like they were.  🙂

Capture.JPG 

GabeU

Again, I keep posting these each day in case they'll help.  Though not every time, it does seem that the smoother the line (least congestion), the quicker the Facebook page load.  More tests will help to prove or disprove this.   

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

Edit:  If only it could always be like this one....

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

Good morning Gabe,

Thank you for these screenshots. I just wanted to be sure I'm looking at the right thing, you're looking at the SUM column for the DOM event? For example, I'm interpreting your last two screenshots as "Facebook loaded in 18 seconds while my speeds were at 47 Mbps".

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Good morning Gabe,

Thank you for these screenshots. I just wanted to be sure I'm looking at the right thing, you're looking at the SUM column for the DOM event? For example, I'm interpreting your last two screenshots as "Facebook loaded in 18 seconds while my speeds were at 47 Mbps".

I've actually been watching the blue number at the top, which is 16.2 seconds in this case, not the 18.314 seconds sum total, nor the 18.206 seconds for the DOM.  I think the difference is that the 16.2 seconds is the time from when it starts receiving data until the page finishes loading, and the 18.314 seconds is from the time I hit enter until the page finishes loading.  I've been including the breakdown in the box in case any of the its information is important.  

The blue shading or highlighting of information in the box is done at will by the app itself.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification, Gabe!

GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

Have to say that's pretty weird. There's something hidden in DOM that's erratically getting delayed for 2 minutes for sure. I'm just wondering if it's not the mysterious 1-minute delay somehow kicking in twice, depending upon what js, css, and images are trying to load (and where it's trying to load them from).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

Mark,

I do often see pictures taking quite some time to load.  Not only to start loading, but to complete, as well.  I also sometimes see the page loading things, then sort of pause.  Then, after a little bit, a number of items will load very quickly.

As soon as I can do so, I'm planning on taking my laptop to my folks' house and see what happens with Facebook when I use their Gen4.  Right now that's not feasible, but I'm hoping it soon will be.

GabeU

I'd love to be able to get my hopes up, but I've learned not to when it comes to this issue.  Still, today was a much better Facebook day, knock on wood, even if my speed testing is having some issues.  Then again, the tests started getting goofy around the same time.  I've experienced congestion over the years, just like everyone else, but this pause/slingshot thing with testmy, which used to only happen once in a while, has become much more common. 

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

GabeU

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

The last Facebook result was after starting to open Facebook, closing the page, then starting again, so some of that speed probably came from a bit already in the cache. 

I noticed that what happened with the last TMN result started happening around the same time as the Facebook issue.  The test will start and move a little, then stick at a certain point in its progress.  After some time, it will all of a sudden slingshot to the end, and very quickly.  Often times I deleted those results, as I considered them faulty and inaccurate, but I'm going to start keeping them and posting them as they are, as maybe they're more accurate than I thought.  But, with that said, I've tried opening web pages while the test progress is stuck and they open just fine, which really doesn't make any sense.  If we're to believe what the test progress and result shows, my internet should be practically dead during the time the test is stuck, but it's not, which, again, doesn't make any sense.  THAT's nearly more of a head scratcher than the Facebook issue.    

Is it possible that something has gone goofy with my modem or radio that can't be seen with the diagnostic tools?  Granted, I have had normal evening slowdowns for a long time, but this is something fairly recent.  It would sometimes happen prior to this, but not nearly as often.

Should I keep running these?  

GabeU

I'm getting so tired of this.  

maratsade

Have you had any updates from the mods or from the engineers?

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Have you had any updates from the mods or from the engineers?

Nothing as of yet.  

If I have time tomorrow I'll probably take my laptop next door to the folks and see how the Facebook is on their Gen4 service.  I have a feeling it will be a lot better than what I'm seeing.  

Good morning Gabe, 

I would hold off on the tests at home unless the engineer has specific instructions. I've sent him your most recent post from Friday and asked him if he has any updates/insights so far.

However, I am curious to see what results you do get on a Gen4 system, so please do share those if you are able.

GabeU

Liz,

Though I was only able to get two tests in while I was there, I did see a marked difference.  Facebook was very responsive, like it used to be with my Gen5.  The main Facebook page I had gone to a couple of hours earlier, at my own house, to make sure the password was loaded, so when I went to the same page while connected to my folk's HughesNet it may have loaded somewhat from the cache.  That's the first result.  The second one, which is HughesNet's Facebook page, I hadn't gone to earlier.  It loaded even faster, as can be seen.

These were done using my Dell Inspiron laptop connected to my folk's Gen4 via WiFi.  Though their Gen4 speed appears to have taken a bit of hit since the last time I tested it, Facebook still loaded very well.  And, though it's impossible to show via anything other than video, I did scroll after taking those snapshots and, again, the pages were very responsive, meaning the 'new', scrolled to items loaded very quickly.  When I scroll in Facebook here, on my Gen5, it's a bit of a waiting game

Sorry it's only two results, but it's hard to do any testing there at present.  I may be able to get a couple more tests in tomorrow in order to cement what I saw today, but there was definitely a difference.  Both under 25 seconds.  I'll take that.  🙂    

FB1.PNGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.PNGFB2 TMN.JPG