cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Facebook Issues... Reps?

@Liz @Amanda @Damian @Jay @Hardy 

Is there any way I might be able to get one of you to remotely take a look to make sure everything is okay with my HughesNet equipment?  I have a tree that's grown up considerably, and it's difficult to tell if it's starting to be in the way.  My signal strength is good, usually at around 100 or so, but you never know.  I'm able to remove the tree if I need to.   

Also, is there anything that can be done to purge my modem or reset it or something to get rid of any old stuff, if that would have any effect, that is.  I'm having a heck of a problem with Facebook, which seems to be singular to me, and it's not my devices, as it's the same on all three of my computers, with each using different AV and browser extensions.  You can see the whole Facebook debacle here.  I just didn't know if maybe there was something with the modem that could be "jogged", so to speak, to maybe fix this issue, as I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and things others have suggested, as well.  It's only Facebook.  Other sites are fine.  And that's what's odd.  

Thanks.  🙂  

66 REPLIES 66

Ooh that is very interesting, Gabe. Thanks, I'll send this over to engineering too.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Gabe,

Just got off the phone with the engineer looking into this; he dug deeper into your system and on our network side, and did not find any errors or anything out of the ordinary. He would like you to please do additional testing back on your Gen 5 system. 

Please try during the day during off peak times, and also in the evening. Try testing on a mobile device via wifi to see if the issue persists there. So that the engineer can try to reproduce the issue, please give us the Facebook page(s) you're testing, whether it's the FB homepage or a particular FB page (like someone's profile or business page). 

Also, since Instagram is owned by Facebook, see how the load time compares there and let us know what times you get and what page(s) you tested. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz 

The only mobile device I have is my Tracfone, which is an LG Premier LTE (L62VL) smarphone.  I know that it will be different, as it loads the page differently due to using a mobile version of Chrome, but I know that it may still be helpful.  I tried the actual Facebook mobile app, but I couldn't stand it.  I don't know if I'll be able to find an add on or anything that will demonstrate the page loading speed like with Chrome and the extension I've been using, but I'll see if I can find something.  If not, I'll just manually time it and write how long it took.    

The two Facebook pages I always use are the Facebook home page (the main page when you first sign in, with the news feed and such) and HughesNet's Facebook page.  I'll be sure to specify which is which when I post the results.  

I'll do the Instagram thing, too.  I don't currently have an account there, but I see I can use my Facebook account for it, so I'll do that.  

Thanks for continuing to look into this.  🙂  

P.S.  I did get two more tests in at my folk's today (one at Facebook main page and one at HughesNet's Facebook page) using their Gen4.  It's pretty much the same as yesterday with the load times, though the speed tests were a bit better.  Since I should start testing here again I won't post them, but if you think they might still be helpful please let me know and I'll post them.

Hi Gabe, 

Yeah, just let us know what you end up testing so that engineering can reproduce it. Regarding Instagram, I thought the same thing, about needing an account, but you don't need one. You can visit anyone's IG account and see how long it takes to load. I don't know why, but Burger King first came to mind, you can try their IG page: https://www.instagram.com/burgerking

GabeU

Okay, this one's going to be a little long...

I went to Facebook using my phone using the Android mobile version of Chrome.  It's very different than the Facebook seen on a regular computer and there's no way to know when a page has finished loading, as there's not much on a page.  Just a post or two, plus the headers (notifications, messenger icon, etc.)  I went to both Facebook's home page and HughesNet's Facebook page, and they both seemed to load quickly, but again, what they are loading is much different.  Much less.  I didn't take any snapshots as they wouldn't have really showed anything relevant.  

Next are the laptop tests from earlier today  The first is Facebook's home page and the TMN test right afterward, and the second is HughesNet's Facebook page and the TMN test right afterward.  This was, again, with my laptop, connected via WiFi to my folk's Gen4 service.  

FB1.PNGLaptop TMN1.JPG

FB2.PNGLaptop TMN2.JPG

And now I have a problem. I can upload no more pics, receiving the message...

"You have reached your upload limit of 1000 images."  

So, it appears that, until I can have this limit removed, I'm stuck.  How weird.  I would upload the picture that I took of the warning, but I can't.  😛  I will try via PM, but I may get the same message.  

Edit:  @Liz , I tried PMing a pic of the image limit message I got, but I got the same message when tyring to upload it.  So, I'm officially stuck.  

Edit 2:  I hope I did this properly...  https://imgur.com/a/D12I2rd

If I may suggest, dunno if youve done this before or if it'd help...

I dont know how to properly judge the speeds, but try using a VPN, use an IP from another country, then try using Facebook that way. It could be that Facebook is causing some problem with the IP range you have on HughesNet. In 2017, RockStar Games(makers of Grand Theft Auto) appeared to have a block on Hughes IP addresses, or at least whatever ones I'd get after rebooting the modem

But obviously, you'd have slow speeds and higher latency on a VPN. Now if Facebook IS throttling that IP range....no idea how to contact them and what to say about it. And of course, major question of WHY they'd do that, but thats a thought on it!

The Gen 4 connection you used at your folk's house would obviously be different, and while I have no problems with Facebook, we are on different beams!

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the image upload limit, I've changed it so you should be able to upload pics here again. The limit is 100 uploads per 24hrs (I would hope no one would have to get anywhere near that), but I've increased the total uploads per user to 10000 for now. 🙂

I appreciate your detailed account of trying FB on mobile, were these done at your Gen 5 system at home? I ask because you included the speed tests from your parents' Gen 4 system. Looking forward to the requested tests on your home system. Let me know if you have any questions.

GabeU

@Danny89 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I may very well end up trying that when I have a little more time.  Do you know of a free VPN that you can recommend, and preferably one for networking novices?  

GabeU

@Liz 

The tests on my phone were at my house, using my Gen5 service. 

The following is the rest of what I meant to post yesterday.  These are all with my LAN connected desktop on my Gen5 service.

Facebook home page...

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

HughesNet's Facebook page...

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

Instagram Burger King...

IG1.JPGIG1 TMN.JPG

Instagram HughesNet...

IG2.JPGIG2 TMN.JPG

Though that's only one test session so far with Instagram, it was definitely quicker.  Of course, I need more to make that determination for sure.  

P.S.  I'm sending you a small PM.  

GabeU

All are with LAN connected desktop on my Gen5 service.

Facebook home page...

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

Instagram Burger King...

IG1.JPGIG1 TMN.JPG

Instagram HughesNet...

IG2.JPGIG2 TMN.JPG

Thank you Gabe, I've sent this over to engineering.

GabeU

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get some tests in during a more off peak time, like late morning or early afternoon.  I meant to today, but I ended up running out of time.  I'll try later on this evening, too.  

I should have added that, though Facebook's home page and HughesNet's Facebook page are the two I've been primarily testing with, the page itself doesn't seem to matter.  I belong to a few different Facebook groups, and also go to other Facebook pages in the course of clicking on links and such, and it's the same with all of them.

OK I'll add that as well, thank you Gabe!

@GabeU, the one I use is the SoftEther VPN Client, from the University of Tsukuba in Japan

https://www.softether.org/5-download

Its pretty simple, after you install it, start it, double click VPN Relay Servers, then choose what you want. A lot of them dont work properly though, I usually chose ones in Japan or Ukraine

GabeU

@Danny89 

Thank you very much for the information.  It's greatly appreciated.  

GabeU

Facebook home page...

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

Instagram Burger King...

IG1.JPGIG1 TMN.JPG

Instagram HughesNet...

IG2.JPGIG2 TMN.JPG

The difference between Facebook and Instagram is like night and day.  Again, LAN connected desktop on my Gen5.   This is NOT while using the VPN that Danny suggested trying.  I'll try that sometime this weekend.  Maybe later tonight.

GabeU

Facebook home page...

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

Instagram Burger King...

IG1.JPGIG1 TMN.JPG

Instagram HughesNet...

IG2.JPGIG2 TMN.JPG

Edit:  I should add that, subsequent to the first Facebook test (home page), other Facebook pages are opening quickly.  Some in under 20 seconds. 

I've been dealing with this long enough to know to not get my hopes up that it will stay this way, but it's still nice to see.   

GabeU

@Danny89 

Though I didn't end up using the VPN you suggested, as I was having a bit of a time figuring out how to set it up, I did try a couple of others (TunnelBear and Windscribe), and neither made a difference, other than being slower, overall.  

I think the version of SoftEther VPN Client I tried may be different than the one you're using, or there are other steps involved before being able to see the "VPN Relay Servers", but I couldn't find it.  I did click to set up a virtual network first, as that was the only way I could get to any options, but the options were too many to set up with me not being versed in VPNs.  

I certainly do appreciate the help, though, as it did lead me to trying the other two VPNs mentioned above, and that may very well help in narrowing down what may be causing the issue.

GabeU

Not all that bad right now.  I hope it continues.

Facebook Home page...

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

Facebook HughesNet...

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

Instagram Burger King...

IGBK.JPGIGBK TMN.JPG

Instagram HughesNet...

IGHN.JPGIGHN TMN.JPG

GabeU

Facebook Home page...

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

Facbeook HughesNet - The page and test time are a little futher off on this one, as testmy went down for a couple of minutes.  As well, these are a bit after the first test (Facebook Home page and its corresponding TMN test), as I got a phone call...

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

Instagram Burger King...

IGBK.JPGIGBK TMN.JPG

Instagram HughesNet...

IGHN.JPGIGHN TMN.JPG

Thanks Gabe, I've informed engineering of your update and gave them the link to this thread.