cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Issues... Reps?

Distinguished Professor III

Re: Facebook Issues... Reps?

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm not surprised. If you saw all the little widgets and extra external junk that requires extra hits that are hidden (some layered within other things) inside a single Facebook web page... then add extra congestion latency to it... then if any of it is done by secure (https) means, which is where a lot of web sites are moving...

That's what I'm thinking makes the difference between Facebook and pretty much all of the other web pages I frequent, or just go to after a search.  I notice, especially when I open it with Firefox, that the little notification on the lower left changes back and forth between two or three things, but it does it a lot, indicating that a new thing is loading.  It's ludicrous.  And, of course, it gets "stuck" on some things for a while, though I have no idea just what those things are, of course. 

I tried GW's suggestion of disabling JavaScript, and I've gone through a few of the other things in the Permissions list in Chrome, but none of them seem to make an appreciable difference.  And, of course, when disabling certain things the page becomes unusable.  

I also have user agent switcher, which I use for CNN to stop the videos from automatically playing, and even loading, but I've not had luck using it with Facebook, as it mostly causes Facebook to revert to the mobile version, which is awful on a computer.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

<soapbox>

I'm admittedly heavily biased against FB and have been for several years. I went ballistic after fully reading their t's&c's about 6 or 7 years ago - the thing everyone ignores and just said "agree" to for the last time, since they said they would no longer bother to even ask you to agree to any changes in terms.

People are just now seeing how truly evil they are - financially (their own digital currency? really?), politically (Cambridge Analytica anyone?), not to mention a complete disaster from a web security standpoint, and anything else they're not admitting to.

Problem is everyone's so heavily invested in it as a means of communication they can't/won't give it up.

</soapbox>

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

FB1.JPG

FB1 TMN.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FB2.JPG

FB2 TMN.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FB3.JPG

FB3 TMN.JPG

Hmmm.  These tests don't seem to be fitting with my theory.  Still, only three tests isn't enough.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

"People are just now seeing how truly evil they are - financially (their own digital currency? really?), politically (Cambridge Analytica anyone?), not to mention a complete disaster from a web security standpoint, and anything else they're not admitting to."

That's the reason I try not  to have anything to do with any social media platform, IMO they censor users who post anything that doesn't agree with their version of political correctness. 
    Maybe  's  problem is their latest ploy to discourage users whose posts they don't like.   :<)>  As you said they are truly evil.

Why did this end up in the sidebar area to the right of this post???

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

FB5.JPGFB5 TMN.JPG

FB6.JPGFB6 TMN.JPG

The last one is pretty good, in comparison.

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm only posting these pics for continuing reference.  I'll probably continue to do the same each day.  

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

FB3.JPGFB3 TMN.JPG

FB4.JPGFB4 TMN.JPG

This last one was after clearing an hour's worth of my Chrome cache.  I was just curious as to how much time it would add.  It took 5:20.  That's just unreal, even at an overall speed of 12.76Mbps at the time.  Yahoo opened in 27 seconds, just after running the speed test.  

FB5.JPGFB5 TMN.JPG

FB1.JPGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.JPGFB2 TMN.JPG

A clarification:

Some of the TIDs show as being around four hours later than the corresponding FB pic with the clock from my PC.  Well, four hours and a couple of minutes, as I run the speed test after I take the FB snapshot.  I just noticed this tonight.  

The reason for this is that, when I open the TID directly after running the test, directly from the test result, is shows the four hour difference (displays UTC instead of EST).  Basically, if I ran the test at 10:05PM EST on Aug 1st, that TID will show the result as being from 2:05AM EST on Aug 2nd.  However, when I open the TID from my account Results page, it displays my correct local time for the test. 

Again, I just noticed this discrepancy tonight, and wanted to explain it in case other people noticed it, too.  Going forward I'll make sure to only click on the test TIDs from my account Results page so that they'll have the correct local time.  

As an example, I'll run a test now to show the difference...

This is **bleep** on the TID in the table below, and this is what it showed.  Notice the date and time is 8/4 at 3:23AM, which is four hours ahead of my local time.  

Capture.JPG

The following is from my own account Results page.  Clicking on the TID for the test shows this.  Notice the date and time is 8/3 at 11:23PM.  This is my local time.  

Capture1.JPG

Edit:  This is now the third time I've tried to post this.  If the sentence directly before the first pic is bleeped again, I give up.  The system, for some reason, is bleeping arbitrary things, and things that shouldn't be bleeped.  After two edits, I give up.  Just in case it bleeps it again, I'll take a picture of what I wrote and post it below.  

Capture2.JPG

Professor

"Edit:  This is now the third time I've tried to post this.  If the sentence directly before the first pic is bleeped again, I give up.  The system, for some reason, is bleeping arbitrary things, and things that shouldn't be bleeped.  After two edits, I give up.  Just in case it bleeps it again, I'll take a picture of what I wrote and post it below. "

The random bleeping and the bleeping of whole sentences, is annoying. Perhaps the mods could look into this and put in a ticket with the forum provider? 

@maratsade wrote:

The random bleeping and the bleeping of whole sentences, is annoying. Perhaps the mods could look into this and put in a ticket with the forum provider? 

Annoying is too nice of a term for how I'm feeling about it.  Smiley Tongue 

What's crazy is that it makes absolutely no sense.  None.  How or why the system is flagging what I wrote, and what I've written in other posts, is beyond me.  There's no rhyme or reason to it.  And even after changing the wording to something else innocuous it still flags it, like it's flagging the sentence itself, even though it's completely changed.  

It's outstandingly frustrating, to say the least, especially when you're trying to help someone solve something and you can't because of it.