cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Issues... Reps?

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Facebook Issues... Reps?

Have you had any updates from the mods or from the engineers?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade wrote:

Have you had any updates from the mods or from the engineers?

Nothing as of yet.  

If I have time tomorrow I'll probably take my laptop next door to the folks and see how the Facebook is on their Gen4 service.  I have a feeling it will be a lot better than what I'm seeing.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Good morning Gabe, 

I would hold off on the tests at home unless the engineer has specific instructions. I've sent him your most recent post from Friday and asked him if he has any updates/insights so far.

However, I am curious to see what results you do get on a Gen4 system, so please do share those if you are able.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

Liz,

Though I was only able to get two tests in while I was there, I did see a marked difference.  Facebook was very responsive, like it used to be with my Gen5.  The main Facebook page I had gone to a couple of hours earlier, at my own house, to make sure the password was loaded, so when I went to the same page while connected to my folk's HughesNet it may have loaded somewhat from the cache.  That's the first result.  The second one, which is HughesNet's Facebook page, I hadn't gone to earlier.  It loaded even faster, as can be seen.

These were done using my Dell Inspiron laptop connected to my folk's Gen4 via WiFi.  Though their Gen4 speed appears to have taken a bit of hit since the last time I tested it, Facebook still loaded very well.  And, though it's impossible to show via anything other than video, I did scroll after taking those snapshots and, again, the pages were very responsive, meaning the 'new', scrolled to items loaded very quickly.  When I scroll in Facebook here, on my Gen5, it's a bit of a waiting game

Sorry it's only two results, but it's hard to do any testing there at present.  I may be able to get a couple more tests in tomorrow in order to cement what I saw today, but there was definitely a difference.  Both under 25 seconds.  I'll take that.  Smiley Happy    

FB1.PNGFB1 TMN.JPG

FB2.PNGFB2 TMN.JPG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Ooh that is very interesting, Gabe. Thanks, I'll send this over to engineering too.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Hi Gabe,

Just got off the phone with the engineer looking into this; he dug deeper into your system and on our network side, and did not find any errors or anything out of the ordinary. He would like you to please do additional testing back on your Gen 5 system. 

Please try during the day during off peak times, and also in the evening. Try testing on a mobile device via wifi to see if the issue persists there. So that the engineer can try to reproduce the issue, please give us the Facebook page(s) you're testing, whether it's the FB homepage or a particular FB page (like someone's profile or business page). 

Also, since Instagram is owned by Facebook, see how the load time compares there and let us know what times you get and what page(s) you tested. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

GabeU

@Liz 

The only mobile device I have is my Tracfone, which is an LG Premier LTE (L62VL) smarphone.  I know that it will be different, as it loads the page differently due to using a mobile version of Chrome, but I know that it may still be helpful.  I tried the actual Facebook mobile app, but I couldn't stand it.  I don't know if I'll be able to find an add on or anything that will demonstrate the page loading speed like with Chrome and the extension I've been using, but I'll see if I can find something.  If not, I'll just manually time it and write how long it took.    

The two Facebook pages I always use are the Facebook home page (the main page when you first sign in, with the news feed and such) and HughesNet's Facebook page.  I'll be sure to specify which is which when I post the results.  

I'll do the Instagram thing, too.  I don't currently have an account there, but I see I can use my Facebook account for it, so I'll do that.  

Thanks for continuing to look into this.  Smiley Happy  

P.S.  I did get two more tests in at my folk's today (one at Facebook main page and one at HughesNet's Facebook page) using their Gen4.  It's pretty much the same as yesterday with the load times, though the speed tests were a bit better.  Since I should start testing here again I won't post them, but if you think they might still be helpful please let me know and I'll post them.

Liz

Hi Gabe, 

Yeah, just let us know what you end up testing so that engineering can reproduce it. Regarding Instagram, I thought the same thing, about needing an account, but you don't need one. You can visit anyone's IG account and see how long it takes to load. I don't know why, but Burger King first came to mind, you can try their IG page: https://www.instagram.com/burgerking

GabeU

Okay, this one's going to be a little long...

I went to Facebook using my phone using the Android mobile version of Chrome.  It's very different than the Facebook seen on a regular computer and there's no way to know when a page has finished loading, as there's not much on a page.  Just a post or two, plus the headers (notifications, messenger icon, etc.)  I went to both Facebook's home page and HughesNet's Facebook page, and they both seemed to load quickly, but again, what they are loading is much different.  Much less.  I didn't take any snapshots as they wouldn't have really showed anything relevant.  

Next are the laptop tests from earlier today  The first is Facebook's home page and the TMN test right afterward, and the second is HughesNet's Facebook page and the TMN test right afterward.  This was, again, with my laptop, connected via WiFi to my folk's Gen4 service.  

FB1.PNGLaptop TMN1.JPG

FB2.PNGLaptop TMN2.JPG

And now I have a problem. I can upload no more pics, receiving the message...

"You have reached your upload limit of 1000 images."  

So, it appears that, until I can have this limit removed, I'm stuck.  How weird.  I would upload the picture that I took of the warning, but I can't.  Smiley Tongue  I will try via PM, but I may get the same message.  

Edit:  @Liz , I tried PMing a pic of the image limit message I got, but I got the same message when tyring to upload it.  So, I'm officially stuck.  

Edit 2:  I hope I did this properly...  https://imgur.com/a/D12I2rd

Danny89
Sophomore

If I may suggest, dunno if youve done this before or if it'd help...

I dont know how to properly judge the speeds, but try using a VPN, use an IP from another country, then try using Facebook that way. It could be that Facebook is causing some problem with the IP range you have on HughesNet. In 2017, RockStar Games(makers of Grand Theft Auto) appeared to have a block on Hughes IP addresses, or at least whatever ones I'd get after rebooting the modem

But obviously, you'd have slow speeds and higher latency on a VPN. Now if Facebook IS throttling that IP range....no idea how to contact them and what to say about it. And of course, major question of WHY they'd do that, but thats a thought on it!

The Gen 4 connection you used at your folk's house would obviously be different, and while I have no problems with Facebook, we are on different beams!