Hughesnet Community

Facebook pages taking a long time to open?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Facebook pages taking a long time to open?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not really looking for help, as I don't think it's something that can be fixed, but I was just curious if others who had previously had no issues with Facebook are finding it taking much longer to open as of late.  

This started about two or three weeks ago.  Prior to that, Facebook pages would open fairly quickly.  Maybe fifteen to twenty seconds to finish opening.  Pages are now taking anywhere from one to two minutes to finish opening, and once a while a bit longer.  

My overall speeds seem to be fine, though I have been experiencing a bit more of a slowdown in the evenings.  

Again, I was just curious if this has started happening with anyone else, and I'm only speaking of what I described, not those who've had ongoing speed issues or Facebook issues.  Only those who've started experiencing slow Facebook responses within the last few weeks.  

Thanks.  

48 REPLIES 48
GabeU

Well, the laptop took 204 seconds.  SMH.  

Next step, trying it with Linux.  I'll edit this post with the info about what happens.  

Edit:  Okay, so while using Linux Mint, and using Firefox in that distro for the first time, Facebook took a while to load.  But, only the first time.  When I would close out Firefox, then re-open it and go back into Facebook, the page would load in under 20 seconds.  And I did it three times.  So, I'm thinking it might have something to do with Windows 10 1903, though I'm not sure, as I could have sworn that this happened before upgrading my computer to 1903.  But, being that I save system images, I'm going to re-image my laptop to Windows 10 from May, and then see what happens with that.  

@GabeU wrote:

Well, the laptop took 204 seconds.  SMH.  

Next step, trying it with Linux.  I'll edit this post with the info about what happens.  

Edit:  Okay, so while using Linux Mint, and using Firefox in that distro for the first time, Facebook took a while to load.  But, only the first time.  When I would close out Firefox, then re-open it and go back into Facebook, the page would load in under 20 seconds. 

That makes sense, after the first time you were probably loading from the cache, which is faster.  Set Firefox to clear the cache when shutting down, and see what happens.  It's under Edit, Preferences, Privacy and Security, History. Use Custom settings, Settings, Cache.

maratsade

"That makes sense, after the first time you were probably loading from the cache, which is faster.  "

And he's likely loading from cache from Windows too, so it's probably not that. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"That makes sense, after the first time you were probably loading from the cache, which is faster.  "

And he's likely loading from cache from Windows too, so it's probably not that. 

No, it's not that.  The one's taking two and a half or three minutes are when loading from the cache.  I can clear it, then try again, but it makes no difference.  I even tried increasing the cache size in chrome, but that didn't do much, either.  

Interestingly enough, though, it has sped up since last night, though that's probably due to less congestion.  Maybe not.  Maybe I've gotten lucky.  😛 

GabeU

I am getting so fed up with this.  There's no reason Facebook should be taking up to three minutes or more, while other websites are loading in seconds.  I realize there is a lot of information on Facebook pages, but this is getting ludicrous.  

It's fine from Feb 2016 through June 3rd, 2019.  Heck, even prior to that, when I had my legacy plan.  Facebook took no longer to finish loading than any other data/graphics intensive page.  Then, June 4th, 2019, and BAM!!!  Two minutes, three minutes, nearly four minutes.   This is utterly ridiculous. 

And to make matters worse, for the last week my stepfather has been in the ICU with severe pneumonia, and he's developed other complications while there.  Trying to keep friends and family up to date through a social media site that is now taking what seems like forever to even load is extremely frustrating, to say the least.  And again, it's just Facebook. 

Time took 27.5 seconds (hadn't been there in months).  CNN took 20.6 seconds.  Yahoo took 22.8 seconds.  This Community took 8.5 seconds.  Facebook in Chrome just took 162 seconds.  Facebook in Firefox just took 131.2 seconds.  "Transferring data from s.content...." and "Transferring data from static.xx...."  keep alternating.  The latter two (Facebook Chrome/Firefox) are party from cache.  I go there many times a day using each browser. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Did you ever try clearing DNS cache on everything, and before visiting anything, change your DNS on the modem and computer to a different provider?  It sounds like you're having issues connecting to certain parts of Facebook, could be route related.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE 

I've tried in the past, but I also keep forgetting about the fact that my computer is bypassing the modem's set DNS (to Google's) and using HughesNet's because it's defaulting to IPv6 for most things, which the modem doesn't have a setting for.  

So, I set the modem back to using the ISP's DNS (HughesNet's (the default)), then unplugged it.  I then changed my desktop's adapter settings to Google's DNS for both IPv4 and IPv6, then flushed the DNS cache, then shut the system down and unplugged it (flushing the cache was redundant, at that point).  

I then plugged the modem back in, waited and few minutes, then started the computer.  So far, Facebook does seem to be faster, but the real test is going to be when congestion is up there a bit, as that's when it's the worst.  Even before this, at times of low congestion, Facebook would sometimes get better, though not most of the time.  

As of right now, when opening a few different Facebook pages in Chrome, the times are staying under 45 seconds, which is a heck of an improvement over three or four minutes.  

I'll keep my eye on it and see what continues to happen.  If this fixed it, I owe you. 

That IPv4/IPv6 thing is annoying.  Maybe the next generation of modem will have an IPv6 DNS override, like it does for IPv4.  I could just disable IPv6 in my computer, and I know some people do that, but I don't want to.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GabeU

Maybe, maybe not.  

This morning, it's taking nearly 90 seconds for Facebook to load with Chrome, and just under two and a half minutes with Firefox.  Both had the Webroot extension removed last night, so I think I need to do a bit more fiddling. 

I noticed that the following two things were taking the most time, with the first taking the longest.  They would alternate.

Delay.jpg

Delay2.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Both those take forever for me as well, but not 90 seconds...  Usually most everything on Facebook has loaded while my browser is still waiting on those two things.

GabeU

I'm still fiddling around with the Webroot extension to see if there is an actual difference.  Last night I had it on, yet the whole experience was much better than normal.  That's happened before, though.  

It seems that congestion can affect it considerably.  That's normal, of course, but the whole Facebook thing is extreme.  Still, I'm trying a few different things, as I'm not seeing any issues from others that are similar to mine, so I'm still thinking that it may have something to do with an extension, or maybe even a combination of extensions, as I have a number of them installed.   

maratsade

You may want to burn down your house, move, and start over with a fresh house, fresh equipment, and fresh Internet service. 😉

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

You may want to burn down your house, move, and start over with a fresh house, fresh equipment, and fresh Internet service. 😉

I don't think I'm quite there yet, but close.  😛  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I have no idea how Webroot really works, but what's the chances that it's proxying your connection, OR it's doing some form of look up for every link you could possibly visit...?  If their servers are somewhat congested, imagine how much worse the performance will be on a congested satellite link on top.

I suggest trying to leave it disabled (honestly, anything you can disable...) for a few days to see how things go.

GabeU

I will.  I'm also going to see what happens with my notebook, which has never had Webroot installed on it.  I'll make sure to try it on it's own, after having power cycled the modem or after I first power it on for the day.  

GabeU

4:27PM EST with Firefox...

Firefox - Facebook.jpg

Sad.png

maratsade

Was that using your notebook?

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Was that using your notebook?

No, that was still my desktop.   It turns out that I have some updates to do on my notebook, and I'm going to wait until I do them to start fiddling with it.  Unfortunately, with my data being so low right now, I'm going to wait to do so.  

Ten days to go and 1.3GB left.  Something tells me I'm not going to make it.  😛  

GabeU

@maratsade 

Using my notebook make absolutely no difference.  No Webroot has touched it, and it only has three extensions installed in Chrome.  It was still just as slow.  

I'm getting really frustrated.  

maratsade

You've made some progress, though, eliminating one variable. Now let's hope the mods will run a diagnostic from their end and see if they find something.  Are there any other sites you've tried that show the same issue?It's odd for it to be FB only.

GabeU

@maratsade 

No, just Facebook.  And the odd thing is that it can change from moment to moment.  Yesterday, for instance, it was terrible, as usual.   Then, around 10PM last night, I went onto Facebook, and the page loaded in 22 seconds.  Fifteen minutes later, it was back to 3+ minutes.  SMH.  

Things that don't seem to make any difference, or at least any difference that I can say isn't more than just short lived coincidence (like the Webroot extension being ON or OFF)...

Webroot or any other browser extensions

System AV

IPv6 ON vs OFF

DNS

Browser

OS (Windows 10, Windows 8.1, LInux Mint)

LAN connection vs WiFi

When I'm able, I'm going to take my laptop to my folk's house and see what happens while using their HughesNet Gen4.  

I'm going to PM you to explain one of the reasons that this is so incredibly frustrating.