cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook pages taking a long time to open?

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Facebook pages taking a long time to open?

Well, I had hope.  It's hard to see, but it's 1:40.  The picture at the top alone took nearly twenty seconds to complete opening.  Smiley Sad 

Screenshot (37).jpg

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

This is getting downright ridiculous.  200 seconds for this one.  Over three minutes.  SMH.  

Screenshot (39).jpg

For comparison, the following is a site I've either never been to, or it's been a VERY long time, as I don't remember ever being to it. I did a search for popular news sites, as I knew that they would have a lot of graphics and such.  The result was 15.1 seconds...

Screenshot (42).png

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

Gabe...  Try the following...

-Log out of Facebook
-Create new account
-Clear cache
-Follow several news pages and such to generate a good feed
-Test with the new account
-Log out of new account and retest with old account

This may be something with your account specifically.

I actually do have a second account, and I use Firefox for it.  I haven't signed into it in months.  I just completely cleared Firefox's cache, restarted it, then went to Facebook and signed into that alternate account.  The home page has very little on it, but it still took a while to load.  I then went to the HughesNet page.  It took nearly three and half minutes for it to finish opening.  Smiley Sad  

I'm going to break out my laptop and see what happens when using it.  

Well, the laptop took 204 seconds.  SMH.  

Next step, trying it with Linux.  I'll edit this post with the info about what happens.  

Edit:  Okay, so while using Linux Mint, and using Firefox in that distro for the first time, Facebook took a while to load.  But, only the first time.  When I would close out Firefox, then re-open it and go back into Facebook, the page would load in under 20 seconds.  And I did it three times.  So, I'm thinking it might have something to do with Windows 10 1903, though I'm not sure, as I could have sworn that this happened before upgrading my computer to 1903.  But, being that I save system images, I'm going to re-image my laptop to Windows 10 from May, and then see what happens with that.  

@GabeU wrote:

Well, the laptop took 204 seconds.  SMH.  

Next step, trying it with Linux.  I'll edit this post with the info about what happens.  

Edit:  Okay, so while using Linux Mint, and using Firefox in that distro for the first time, Facebook took a while to load.  But, only the first time.  When I would close out Firefox, then re-open it and go back into Facebook, the page would load in under 20 seconds. 

That makes sense, after the first time you were probably loading from the cache, which is faster.  Set Firefox to clear the cache when shutting down, and see what happens.  It's under Edit, Preferences, Privacy and Security, History. Use Custom settings, Settings, Cache.

Professor

"That makes sense, after the first time you were probably loading from the cache, which is faster.  "

And he's likely loading from cache from Windows too, so it's probably not that. 

@maratsade wrote:

"That makes sense, after the first time you were probably loading from the cache, which is faster.  "

And he's likely loading from cache from Windows too, so it's probably not that. 

No, it's not that.  The one's taking two and a half or three minutes are when loading from the cache.  I can clear it, then try again, but it makes no difference.  I even tried increasing the cache size in chrome, but that didn't do much, either.  

Interestingly enough, though, it has sped up since last night, though that's probably due to less congestion.  Maybe not.  Maybe I've gotten lucky.  Smiley Tongue 

I am getting so fed up with this.  There's no reason Facebook should be taking up to three minutes or more, while other websites are loading in seconds.  I realize there is a lot of information on Facebook pages, but this is getting ludicrous.  

It's fine from Feb 2016 through June 3rd, 2019.  Heck, even prior to that, when I had my legacy plan.  Facebook took no longer to finish loading than any other data/graphics intensive page.  Then, June 4th, 2019, and BAM!!!  Two minutes, three minutes, nearly four minutes.   This is utterly ridiculous. 

And to make matters worse, for the last week my stepfather has been in the ICU with severe pneumonia, and he's developed other complications while there.  Trying to keep friends and family up to date through a social media site that is now taking what seems like forever to even load is extremely frustrating, to say the least.  And again, it's just Facebook. 

Time took 27.5 seconds (hadn't been there in months).  CNN took 20.6 seconds.  Yahoo took 22.8 seconds.  This Community took 8.5 seconds.  Facebook in Chrome just took 162 seconds.  Facebook in Firefox just took 131.2 seconds.  "Transferring data from s.content...." and "Transferring data from static.xx...."  keep alternating.  The latter two (Facebook Chrome/Firefox) are party from cache.  I go there many times a day using each browser. 

Associate Professor

Did you ever try clearing DNS cache on everything, and before visiting anything, change your DNS on the modem and computer to a different provider?  It sounds like you're having issues connecting to certain parts of Facebook, could be route related.