cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook pages taking a long time to open?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Facebook pages taking a long time to open?

Was that using your notebook?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade wrote:

Was that using your notebook?

No, that was still my desktop.   It turns out that I have some updates to do on my notebook, and I'm going to wait until I do them to start fiddling with it.  Unfortunately, with my data being so low right now, I'm going to wait to do so.  

Ten days to go and 1.3GB left.  Something tells me I'm not going to make it.  Smiley Tongue  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@maratsade 

Using my notebook make absolutely no difference.  No Webroot has touched it, and it only has three extensions installed in Chrome.  It was still just as slow.  

I'm getting really frustrated.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

You've made some progress, though, eliminating one variable. Now let's hope the mods will run a diagnostic from their end and see if they find something.  Are there any other sites you've tried that show the same issue?It's odd for it to be FB only.

Highlighted

@maratsade 

No, just Facebook.  And the odd thing is that it can change from moment to moment.  Yesterday, for instance, it was terrible, as usual.   Then, around 10PM last night, I went onto Facebook, and the page loaded in 22 seconds.  Fifteen minutes later, it was back to 3+ minutes.  SMH.  

Things that don't seem to make any difference, or at least any difference that I can say isn't more than just short lived coincidence (like the Webroot extension being ON or OFF)...

Webroot or any other browser extensions

System AV

IPv6 ON vs OFF

DNS

Browser

OS (Windows 10, Windows 8.1, LInux Mint)

LAN connection vs WiFi

When I'm able, I'm going to take my laptop to my folk's house and see what happens while using their HughesNet Gen4.  

I'm going to PM you to explain one of the reasons that this is so incredibly frustrating.

Highlighted

I'm completely befuddled about why it's only FB that's affected.  And if it only affectrs FB, then cutting a tree down will likely not make any difference.....  I hope this gets solved quickly for you so you can get back to a relatively speedy FB. 

Highlighted

Just a wild guess.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the particular FB pages you are loading, and Java script?  Just for the heck of it try:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cacciatore-Bros/265695273465874

BTW the best Delmonico steaks I've ever found.  It would be a little  far for you to drive to though. :<)>

Loads in 11.56 in Linux Mint Firefox, with Java script disabled and the cache cleared,  26.71 with Java enabled, and the cache cleared.  With cache left uncleared 8.45 with no Java, 14.27 with Java.

Highlighted

@gaines_wright 

This is what's wacky...

Facebook Main PageFacebook Main Page

This is from the first time I've opened Facebook today, and the main page.  I also tried opening a couple of my group pages, and they loaded equally as quickly...

Facebook RetroPie GroupFacebook RetroPie Group

13.2 seconds and 15.8 seconds.  When it starts acting up again, I'll give that page you linked to a try, both with and without JavaScript enabled.  I'll also try going down the list of the remaining Permissions in Chrome and see if toggling any of them help.  That's something I haven't tried yet.  

Highlighted

@maratsade wrote:

I'm completely befuddled about why it's only FB that's affected.  And if it only affectrs FB, then cutting a tree down will likely not make any difference.....  I hope this gets solved quickly for you so you can get back to a relatively speedy FB. 

You're likely right, but I'm wondering if something that would normally not be a problem could cause one with Facebook due to the fact that, as a web page, it's VERY data intensive, and more so than pretty much any other website I frequent.  I just want to be sure.  

I did notice, too, that my speed tests started getting a little wacky at the same time, as in many more of those "pause, then slingshot to the finish" types, or the ones that show as starting with a speed much higher speed than we know is possible.  Before this it started, those types of test results were rare for me, but it's happening much more often.  The results that are just crazy I delete, as I know it's not possible that I'm getting speeds of 80Mbps, 90Mbps, 100Mbps or even higher.