Failed Connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Failed Connection

As usual, throughput has been slow but usable.   However lately, when trying to access a site, I quite often receive a "secured connection failed" error message (see Image).  Browser is Firefox.   The error does not appear to be totally accurate since a re-try (sometimes more than one try) will fix the issue and the connection will proceed.

Wonder what is happening and can it be fixed...

Thanks, Woody  -  KZ4AKfailed.JPG

14 REPLIES 14
hamradio
Senior

Still a chronic problem...  Any ideas?  A modertor reply would be nice, but anyone have a suggestion?

Woody

Hi Woody,

Thanks for the screenshot. I ran diagnostics on your site and the HughesNet equipment is running normally. 

Does this happen in a different browser?

When did you notice this happening?

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

The issue is intermittent.   Answers interleaved below..

Does this happen in a different browser? 

Have not tried but did not happen earlier with same browser - Firefox

When did you notice this happening?

It began several weeks ago, and continues.

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

No changes.

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Have not tried this yet since the problem began.

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

No data.

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Have not done lately.  - Will try.

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does not seem to help but will try again.

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Yes.

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

See modem question above...

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

No.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Woody

Thanks, Woody.

Do you get the same error in a non-FF browser?

Disable Web Acceleration when you encounter the error and let me know if that makes a difference.

Let me know if this happens on different computers/devices at your convenience.

Let me know if this happen after clearing your browser cache.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Have tried disabling acceleration, along with the others.   Not happening a lot, but still happens.

Woody

Good morning Woody,

Please try using a non-Firefox browser and let me know if the error persists.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

The condition comes and goes.  Some days multiple times, other days not much or none.  To use a different browser as a one time test would not be useful.  Chrome is available, but not convienient to use consistantly - which would be necessary for a meaningful test.

Since I usually have to click re-load to access some sites (like my online bill pay), I wonder if the condition is related but the error is, itself, in error.

Kind of like my early years programming in C language.  The compiler would report an error but the code line error reported was not the actual problem.  Was usually several lines prior... 

Woody

Woody, 

I ask if the issue persists in a non-Firefox browser, as the root cause may be Firefox-related. Please let me know at your convenience.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

OK, will give a try, but not optimistic about getting usable data...

BTW, throughput is been horrible lately.  No suggestions, ever, have helped.   TMN just reported 38.5 Mbps but it took 2-3 minutes to login to ATT / DirecTV.  Also had to reload "View My Channels" twice for it to work !!    Every now and again web connections work as expected, but...

An interesting observation:  I ran out of data two days before the 20MB got reloaded.   What was interesting is that web loads were typically unaffected by being throttled back.  Same speeds as with data.   The exception was some video like youtube.  Those would not load at all.

Woody

While the error persists, the frequency has reduced over the past week or two.   So, it is unlikely that I will be able to collect enough data to further trouble shoot.   I will just hope the reduced frequency will continue...

Woody

Liz,

Clearing the cashe and power-down reset did not help.

I wonder if there is any connection between this issue and another I often experience.  That is, a total stall when downloading a web page (no error, no action)...

The worst offender is when I go to "Bill pay" doing online banking.  Just get a blank page, no further action.   Clicking browser re-load will then continue the download properly.

Woody

Another observation...

Sometimes when I go to the modem using it's IP address it returns the html code instad of what the code instructs.

Partial screen shot example...

WoodyCapture.JPG

dgd
New Poster

It's the norm. God save me from Hughes.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

What do you base your "it's the norm" assessment on? Do you have data you can use as evidence?

You don't need God to save you from HughesNet. You're free to cancel any time. 

dgd wrote:

It's the norm. God save me from Hughes.