Fellow Beam 68ers: it's speeded up!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Fellow Beam 68ers: it's speeded up!

I don't want to jinx this (*knocks vigorously on wood*), but yesterday, measured speeds were higher, though there was a dip in the evening still (maybe the beam is a "morning beam").  Kudos to the Hughes engineers!   And even with the dips, streaming has been working just fine (I'm loving the Chromecast). 

engineers.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade

Beam 68 begins to feel tired around 6 pm....

11Mbps.png

maratsade

I guess I jinxed the lovely speeds....

Just now:

slowagain.png

Hi maratsade,

Thanks for these updates. We're checking in with the engineers regarding speeds Wednesday, so we'll share your account of your experience so far at that meeting.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

This has not been my experience. I still have very poor performance in the evenings.

My performance is also still horrible.   At 3 am Eastern I tried to watch some YouTube videos and the videos would take forever to load.  After they started playing the video would buffer multiple times.   This was even at lowest quality (144 p).   I did a speed test after watching a few videos, testmy.net showed speed of 24.4 Mbps.  Just did another which showed 27.9 Mbps  Why are videos taking forever to load and constantly buffering if the speed tests are decent?    I am really unsatisfied with the Gen5 service.  I hope something gets figured out and fixed soon.   The first few months were great (even throttled I was able to play YouTube videos with no buffering) now I barely use it for much.  I rather use my cellphone hotspot but that’s only 8 GB total per month. 

No I have not,  I didn’t think it would make a difference since I would still view keep the quality low on the videos.   I will try and see if it makes a difference. In the future.  

@C0RR0SIVE  I just tried to watch some videos to see if they loaded.  I tried with out turning off VDS first and was still slow.  I turned off VDS and one song played with out buffering then the next loaded slow and buffered constantly.  

I did a speed test before watching the videos which was 28.3 Mbps and after was 25.7 Mbps.  These speeds should have no problem loading and buffering videos esp at low quality.  

I've noticed the same problem trying to view facebook videos. Constant starting and stopping. Even in the mornings when the system should not be as loaded down as it is during peak hours. I am inclined to believe that's a separate problem from the raw throughput issues.

Right now, my testmy.net results are 784 kbps downstream and 12 kbps upstream. Wow!

http://testmy.net/quickstats/pswired

My internet is awful slow. Won't even load up testmy.net I was on with tech support Saturday and they said San Diego was having bad weather. I referred to beam 68 having problems and then They talked to advanced tech support which stated engineers were working on a problem. Will I be prorated for my poor experience since Saturday?

HI skuphan,

Thanks for posting. I pulled up your account to address your concerns and reviewed your case history. Do you see any performance improvement when you connect your computer directly to the HughesNet modem (taking out your other router out of the equation)? Are you able to run testmy.net tests then?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi folks,

We're pending further direction from management and engineering, but we have truck roll plans for those still with performance concerns in beam 68, to start. Those in beam 68 won't be the only ones who may need a tech, however, so we're also awaiting a list of beams for which a dispatch would be applicable. When we get approval to move forward, we'll reach out to you in your own threads or privately if you posted in this thread and fit the bill.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks, @Liz. What would the techs be doing if they dispatch to the site?

Hi pswired, 

You're welcome. We don't have that information, but whatever adjustment the tech is to do should help address the slow speed concerns.

Not sure if you need the data, but here's the latest round of test results. Last night, during peak hours, I had an average of 5.3 Mbps downstream and 0.195 Mbps upstream. The connection was virtually unusable. This morning, during non-peak hours, I have an average of 46.1 Mbps downstream and 2.27 Mbps upstream. 

Capture.JPG

maratsade

I have seen a significant degradation during the evening as well, and that does affect performance.  I know they're working on this and they'll fix it.  In the meantime, hang in there!  

Sorry Liz I did that too and it is still slow. Today is a little better at 9mb down but not where it should be or has been.

@wildcats198308 wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE  I just tried to watch some videos to see if they loaded.  I tried with out turning off VDS first and was still slow.  I turned off VDS and one song played with out buffering then the next loaded slow and buffered constantly.  

I did a speed test before watching the videos which was 28.3 Mbps and after was 25.7 Mbps.  These speeds should have no problem loading and buffering videos esp at low quality.  

I had hopes that would have worked for you... 😞 

maratsade

@pswired wrote:

This has not been my experience. I still have very poor performance in the evenings.

Yeah, I spoke too soon.  I think the issue persists. (Engineers still rock, though)

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your updates. If we already have your testmy.net results URLs and you've been running tests this past week, we'll bring these up in our check-in with the engineers regarding speeds tomorrow afternoon. If not, please do so so we have a better case to present at the meeting.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.