Hughesnet Community

Few Issues, Speed inconsistency, wifi loss on lg phones, what should realistic expectations be?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alfsly
Freshman

Few Issues, Speed inconsistency, wifi loss on lg phones, what should realistic expectations be?

Hey new to Hughes Net and looking for some answers to a few questions.

1.) Just did a speed test and was surprised at how fast it was both upload and download were over 20 mbps, last night it was under 2 and 1. What are expectations is this due to high usage or could it be something else.

2.) In doing said test I noticed my time was off by 3 hours, it is 10:30 where I am in Tenn and the test showed it as 7:30. I would assume that this is not the case with my usage with the 2 to 8 deal but if someone could clarify if I need to do anything would be greatly appreciated.

3.) I am having a problem with my LG cell phones losing the wifi signal consistantly, my laptop is fine and is always on. If this is a setting on the modem/router or if it might be another issue. I have tried 3 different LG phones and seems to be the case with all of them. 2 different models. Can I plug my router in and see if that makes a difference and do I need to turn off teh Hughesnet router, not too sure how that all works.

Looking forward to response and thanks for the help.

7 REPLIES 7
alfsly
Freshman

How long before someone responds to your posts. Still having terrible speeds.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

alfsly,

It can take two business days before Hughesnet responds...

But I will try to assist you the best I can till they come along.

1: Low speeds can occur due to many factors, especially if testing over wifi.  It is always best to test with a computer directly connected to your Hughesnet equipment, bypassing any router you may have.  I personally use http://testmy.net after logging in there and use their 12MB manual download test to see what my speeds are.  They do have a pretty good track record at giving reliable results for a satellite based system.

2: The test time results will log the test time depending on the time for the test server.  This will not have an impact on when your Bonus Bytes goes into effect.

3: From the sounds of it, you have an HT2000W... Can you confirm this?  If so, what model phones and what version of Android are they using?  Are you connecting to the 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz bands?  I highly suggest if using the 5Ghz band, to switch over to the 2.4Ghz band.  Also, make sure the HT2000W is in a location that would provide good coverage.  Make sure it's not against any large metal objects such as a desktop tower, or near devices that emit RF such as cordless telephones or wireless mice/keyboards.  It should also be somewhat higher than you might assume, many people leave the wireless router/modem on the floor (don't ask me why, but I have seen this a LOT), and this can cause serious range issues.  It's best to have it as high as feasibly possible to get the best range.  

I do know laptops have far more powerful, and better wifi antennas than what a cellphone or tablet would have, so the fact that your phones are dropping out leads me to believe there is more or less a coverage issue than anything.  Also make sure any power saving features that would turn the wifi on the devices OFF is DISABLED.

You could in theory connect your old router if you wish, but you will need to disable the Wifi in the advanced system pages on the HT2000W so that the wifi signals do not clash, you will also need to make sure the IP address on the router is set to an address the modem wouldn't give out, and put the old router into Access Point mode, but I sadly can't walk you through that yet as I my self, don't have that particular modem.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Thanks for the reply greatly appreciated.

1, Did it hooked directly to modem. Still terrible results at night.

2. Got it.

3. Yes that is the modem I am using. My phone is V20 and Nadroid Version 7.0. The previous phone was LG Stylus 2.Can you extend the cable at all, if I could add 6' I could put up high on a shelf. Regardless does not have too bad location and no interference. Setup guest at 2.4 ghz and logged into it and it did not help the cell phone wifi drops.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

So, the laptop doesn't lose signal in these same areas?  I don't suggest extending the coax cable any as a very specific cable type is required and multiple splices in the cable can cause issues.

@Amanda  might need to look at diagnostic information to see what might be happening.

Can you confirm that you have data allowance remaining?

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

I am just over two weeks into my HN experience and needless to say not too impressed. I was expecting bad speeds but this is soooo bad it is unbearable. I am lucky to hit over 1 mbps after 5pm. Do I have a 30 day grace period to cancel this or will I have to pay an exorbinant cancelation fee to be able to walk. Did I just hop in at an especially bad time with the new satelite coming online. The thing that is scary is the lack of transparency, if this many people are having the same issue it is obviously not on the users end. I do not want to waste anymore time on the phone or troubleshootingm getting reliable, consistent internet is not my full time job.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Bad timing to be honest, when you signed up Jupiter One was pretty much at capacity it seems and Jupiter Two wasn't ready for new customers so you ended up on Jupiter One with a newer modem... Which honestly, anything new (like the HT2000W) can be buggy thus causing slower speeds or other weired issues.

Only @Amanda or @Liz can answer your question about the contract as they have recently changed terms and conditions and I am unsure which applies to you.

Hi alfsly,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting! Please check your Private Messages, as I have sent you a PM regarding your concern.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!