cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Those With Lots of Cell Phone Video Streaming Experience

Highlighted
Freshman

For Those With Lots of Cell Phone Video Streaming Experience

We have been using my Samsung Galaxy S4, connected with a mini-USB-HDMI adapter to use to get Netflix, etc., on our bedroom television. Sadly, it overheats and shuts down after about forty minutes. I have explained to Mr J that we are using a LOT of systems in that tiny little computer (any rational person realizes that is what today's phones are) and using them rather intensely.

He asked if another phone would handle that type of pressure better for a longer period of time. I am suspecting a larger phone with more processing power (i.e., Note 5) would possibly do better, because it would have more area to dissipate heat, more processing power and also has been designed to use battery more efficiently if I understand the reviews correctly.

Do any of you have experience that suggests my guess is a rational one? I admit - I would LOVE a phone upgrade. He could even call it early Christmas. I have a friend who had her S3 die who couldn't afford to replace it, so there is even a good home for my old one...

But with all that, I don't want my reasoning to be about wants. If it isn't sound reasoning that the changes in the Note 5 from my S4 would probably improve my overheating while streaming to television problem, I don't want to encourage that as an answer. I will stay where things are and upgrade my S4 when it dies, instead. It sounds weird coming from someone with satellite internet and unlimited 4G-LTE data, but I like to be practical.
11 REPLIES 11
Associate Professor

Re: For Those With Lots of Cell Phone Video Streaming Experience

Have you considered using ChromeCast in conjunction with your phone?  My Tab4 does a fairly good job of casting video to the TV in 720p, but, it's tricky...  Almost certain my Tab4 has less power than your S4 does.
Freshman

I have an Amazon Fire Stick that is supposed to do screen mirroring, but refuses to sync with my phone (but syncs fine with my Fire). I guess I could look at the one from Google. The cable was cheaper, and I didn't think the end result would be any different on the phone itself. It could be the cable and something about its function that causes the overheating I guess. Before the past couple weeks my phone never played a video longer than a few minutes.

Hi Lisa,

Have you considered getting a cheap used console from Gamestop? For about $100 you can get a refurbished Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. There is no subscription needed on either system to run apps like Hulu or Netflix - as a plus, you can control the Xbox with your phone as a remote, download or go out and buy some puzzle games and you've got yourself an all in one entertainment center Smiley Happy The extra plus? It doubles as a DVD player and doubles as a really cheap Blu-Ray player if you get the PS3!

Thanks
Amanda
Assistant Professor

Freshman

Well, I have a Roku and an Amazon Fire stick. The thing is that I only get 13GB per month hotspot data on my cell, so I've been looking for ways to use my cell only instead of setting it up as a wireless hotspot. I am also (of course) attempting NOT to use HughesNet data for my streaming. We have an Xbox360 and Xbox one already at the house.

The Firestick is SUPPOSED (ha!) to mirror my phone, but refuses to. It does mirror my Kindle Fire, but that again requires that I use my HotSpot data. Worse, the Kindle Fire doesn't seem to allow any kind of quality reduction (HD to SD) so I can reduce the bandwidth used. At least, when I went marching through all the settings I couldn't find one. :-(

The Netflix App for the Kindle Fire ALSO doesn't allow me to change the resolution, I don't think.

So... the cable adapter I bought was the cheapest, and literally took everything from the phone and made it available to my television. However, the phone overheats about 40-ish minutes into streaming. Sometimes it overheats a little faster, other times a little slower.

Thus, wondering if another phone might handle the situation better than some. We learned the other day that hubby's less expensive phone doesn't work with the adapter at all...

You don't have to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu if you play them on an Xbox or PS3? I had never heard that before...
Freshman

That still leaves me using data from either my HotSpot minutes or using HughesNet to stream, which was what I am trying to avoid in the current set up - using my phone, only as the streaming device so I don't cut into very limited data minutes "watching television." ;-)
Assistant Professor

Oh, I thought you meant you were streaming Netflix to your phone with HughesNet wireless connection.

For your last question, correct! I use an old silver account on my Xbox 360 to watch an occasional episode on Hulu or Netflix (now they have Seinfeld on Hulu and Friends on Netflix, so it's really difficult to stay away), used to use just a made-up account with no PSN subscription before my playstation 3 decided it never wanted to turn on again.

Perhaps instead of using your phone as a hotspot, you can ask your phone carrier about a MiFi type device - Verizon has a JetPack, not sure about other companies. It may just solve your problem.  Also consider your charger. My Samsung Galaxy S3 overheats with the chargers that use cubes with USB ports instead of the old-school charging plugs that cannot be detached from each other.

Thanks
Amanda
Freshman

Amanda, I am using this. It has a built-in charger as part of the system.

I am trying to a avoid paying for even more data - we have added $60/month to our cell phone bill for unlimited data for the phones. The personal hot spots like Verizon's (and T-mobile's) require purchase of the device and then there is an additional charge for their data. Verizon was around $80 for 12GB I think (can't remember at the moment; our phone company partners with Verizon and offered us that data plan when they couldn't provide us DSL). T-Mobile offers 11GB for $70/month.

With my current unlimited plan I get 13GB per month to share using my phone as a wireless hotspot. Just trying to find as many ways as possible to use the unlimited plan vs. The 13GB of data in hopes of letting my son use that data to tether to his XBox systems for gaming.