cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign based tech support

rdlatsch

Re: Foreign based tech support

Problem is, they don't want to escalate you to  tier 2 or tier 3; no one would transfer me to someone else. Hence, the circles we talked in. And while I appreciate that some people want to chit chat with people from around the world, I prefer to just solve my problems.

And while I also appreciate those of you who have been here for a long time and have the answers; again, I don't have an IT degree, and although what you say makes perfect sense to you, I need "answers for dummies" - very detailed, where to find things on the computer, no abbreviations, and no assuming that I "should know" what you are talking about. I am new to satellite based internet service, and so far, I'm none to happy with it.

rdlatsch

The problem with the data loss is very intermittent. I think that is why it is so difficult to diagnose, Unplugging the Ethernet cable for a few hours and then plugging it back in is not the solution, although it is the only solution the tech support people I spoke with could think of.  I have received and installed the new modem.  Will that help? I can only hope.
rdlatsch

I'm glad you enjoy your chit chat.  I don't. When I call tech support, I want solutions, not weather reports.
rdlatsch

Which is a problem, because no one wants to admit they don't have a solution, and they don't offer to sent you on to the next tier of service.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Indeed, solutions is what we all want.  I get solutions, and the chit chat and human connection are the icing on the cake.
Amanda

Hi rdlatsch

Unplugging the Ethernet cable for a few hours and then plugging it back in is not the solution

Right you are! It is not a solution but a step towards a solution. What we do this for is to see if while the LAN cable is unplugged, is there usage? If not, we would then know for sure we would need to isolate each device on the network and see which one is causing the "data leak".

This testing procedure is still new and actually developed by me here in this community. We've passed it on to the call centers in hopes that it helps alleviate some of the calls they get about "data leaks", but the whole process isn't fleshed out yet. We're working on things they can do that are simple and easy and don't require an IT degree to complete from either side of the phone.

My next suggestion for you is to install GlassWire. We've seen so many threads here completely turn around once we've used GlassWire to put things "on paper" so to speak. It's free (there is a pro paid version, though you dont need to buy that) and pretty simple to read. 

Thanks
Amanda
rdlatsch

I have installed Glasswire. on my computer. Unfortunately, I do not understand how to use the data it provides. And there doesn't seem to be any explanations that I can understand in the software itself.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'm on my tablet so I don't have access to my normal stock of "stuff" however ...
Within this very long thread are some details I posted as to how to use Glasswire:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/firefox-question-regarding-data-loss