Hughesnet Community

Foreign based tech support

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdlatsch

Foreign based tech support

I spent an entire day on the phone with HN tech support, speaking to four or five people, none of whom spoke English as a first language.  We go around in circles; they seem to be reading from a script and are not help whatsoever.  Finally was sent to an American who said the problem was with my HN modem, and they are sending out a new one. Should not have taken all day to solve this problem.
17 REPLIES 17
rdlatsch

And while I am at it, why is HN so difficult to use? It seems like every post requires an IT degree to solve.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As with the support systems of many companies, they are comprised of tiers.

The different tiers act as "filters" so that ideally the more serious issues are escalated to the next tier.

In many cases the lower support tiers are outsourced.

Actually Hughes has come a long ways in the last few years. Something over 50% is stateside.

As to why it so difficult  to use ?

A satellite connection is a good deal more complex than ground based systems and is complicated by the fact that most users are located in remote location so the user simply must participate in the troubleshooting process.

Frankly, your best support bet is right here in the Community.

The forum Mods are Hughes employees at the corporate level and have access to all the Hughes resources.

In the "off hours" there are a number of long term fellow Hughes subscribers that are very familiar with Hughes systems as well as computer and networking.

If you are still having issues I suggest that you post the details of your problem as well as some basic facts: Modem type (HN7000s, HN9000, HT1000/1100), Plan level, Operating System and a description of your "Network" (direct connect, router ...make, model, version).

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

This is when it was difficult to use. Only true techie nerds had the ability to use the system back then. Vast improvements over the years:

Here is the installation PDF, be aware it is about 4 MB in size:  http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1032369-0001_C.pdf
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

WOW, I remember those !

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I believe download was a whopping 256 kbps maximum.
Amanda

Hi rdlatsch

Welcome to our community! We appreciate your feedback about our customer service and will review a bit deeper today to see where we can improve. I do see if you talked to a number of agents in Texas on 10/8. I think we had discussed a year ago or so here in the community about how many people in the USA have accents too and can be hard to understand, but they are located here. Sure, we do have support in the Philippines (did you know they have the BEST business English in the world, even over native speakers?) but the thing about America being a melting pot means you'll get some language barrier even in the states. 

In any case, I do see that the non-US agents were actually following the correct protocol when it came to troubleshooting your issue, but our agents in Texas should not have sent a modem to address this issue. We will need to reach out to them and ensure they are correctly executing our troubleshooting steps. Again, we appreciate your feedback because it does help us catch things like this. 

If you are still experiencing issues with data loss, please feel free to let us know here. I'd like to say we're pretty experienced in that sort of thing 🙂

Thanks
Amanda
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" Sure, we do have support in the Philippines (did you know they have the BEST business English in the world, even over native speakers?) "

I often ask agents where in the world they are located. My most memorable and agreeable interaction with a CSR was with someone who I think was in the Philippines or Thailand. She was friendly and very happy to help, and while she was checking the account we talked about our jobs and also about favorite foods (she was very surprised rice is a common food in the US). I still remember this lady. I also had a great experience chit-chatting with an agent located in India, talking about the weather, especially the rainy season over there.  I like this system of them working in the background but connecting on a human level with chit-chat.  Made a positive difference, at least to me. 
poppypuppy
Observer

Then WHY is there such a communication gap when trying to get a problem across? And I MAJORED in communications.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My opinion, because Tier 1, and even 2 to some degree, are basically script readers. Most really don't have much technical knowledge, if any. They read from flow charts and any deviation throws them off and they return right back to the flow chart.
rdlatsch

Problem is, they don't want to escalate you to  tier 2 or tier 3; no one would transfer me to someone else. Hence, the circles we talked in. And while I appreciate that some people want to chit chat with people from around the world, I prefer to just solve my problems.

And while I also appreciate those of you who have been here for a long time and have the answers; again, I don't have an IT degree, and although what you say makes perfect sense to you, I need "answers for dummies" - very detailed, where to find things on the computer, no abbreviations, and no assuming that I "should know" what you are talking about. I am new to satellite based internet service, and so far, I'm none to happy with it.

rdlatsch

The problem with the data loss is very intermittent. I think that is why it is so difficult to diagnose, Unplugging the Ethernet cable for a few hours and then plugging it back in is not the solution, although it is the only solution the tech support people I spoke with could think of.  I have received and installed the new modem.  Will that help? I can only hope.
rdlatsch

I'm glad you enjoy your chit chat.  I don't. When I call tech support, I want solutions, not weather reports.
rdlatsch

Which is a problem, because no one wants to admit they don't have a solution, and they don't offer to sent you on to the next tier of service.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Indeed, solutions is what we all want.  I get solutions, and the chit chat and human connection are the icing on the cake.
Amanda

Hi rdlatsch

Unplugging the Ethernet cable for a few hours and then plugging it back in is not the solution

Right you are! It is not a solution but a step towards a solution. What we do this for is to see if while the LAN cable is unplugged, is there usage? If not, we would then know for sure we would need to isolate each device on the network and see which one is causing the "data leak".

This testing procedure is still new and actually developed by me here in this community. We've passed it on to the call centers in hopes that it helps alleviate some of the calls they get about "data leaks", but the whole process isn't fleshed out yet. We're working on things they can do that are simple and easy and don't require an IT degree to complete from either side of the phone.

My next suggestion for you is to install GlassWire. We've seen so many threads here completely turn around once we've used GlassWire to put things "on paper" so to speak. It's free (there is a pro paid version, though you dont need to buy that) and pretty simple to read. 

Thanks
Amanda
rdlatsch

I have installed Glasswire. on my computer. Unfortunately, I do not understand how to use the data it provides. And there doesn't seem to be any explanations that I can understand in the software itself.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'm on my tablet so I don't have access to my normal stock of "stuff" however ...
Within this very long thread are some details I posted as to how to use Glasswire:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/firefox-question-regarding-data-loss