cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free download time is useless when the Sat system shuts down...

Junior

Re: Free download time is useless when the Sat system shuts down...

Everyone is missing the point.  I like the plan I am on.  It still has the 5 hours of free download time, so when there are large updates, or I need to back-up to Carbonite, I can schedule it for those times.  Except now, smartly at midnight, when my free time starts, EVERY NIGHT, I get those error messages.  Nothing to do with weather, have tried resetting the modem and computers.  Isn't that amazing.  It goes down right when free time starts?????
Junior

Daily usage, 400mb, which is fine for typical usage for the wife and I
Associate Professor

bos2420, are you the original poster for this topic?  Because the original poster posted what appears to be information for a Jupiter system, which doesn't have the 5 nightly hours for free...

I in no means was informing you to upgrade. (I myself also like the plan I am on as well, with the unlimited nights). Was just letting you look over the plans yourself. They do come with 50 GB bo us bytes which should be more then enough for most people. Updates and backing up should not use more then 50 GB a month. The new plans should offer faster speeds as well (depending on your area). It is quite possible you are also in an area with the newer available plans which if you go over your monthly limit you can still do most things with out being slowed.

Charles.. Is the HN7000 unlimited download period 2 am local time or do they still have it as eastern time?

I know they changed the HN9000 to local time (the same time as where the system is installed).

If it is changed to local time this could be why William is having issues attemtping to download before the unlimited zone and possibly has used all of their daily limit.
Associate Professor

HN7000 should be Eastern still...

Just checked, guess the HT series diagnostics code could be from previous generations too...  What really tripped me up was seeing OP list Web Acceleration instead of TurboPage.  Only thing I can guess, since OP didn't state modem model, is that he is on the HN9000 which is down, or on an aged HN7000 series which is being phased out, and isn't really supported anymore IMO.

He said he has had the system for 10 years. Maybe it's a modem issue. Maybe someone here can upgrade him to a newer modem free.
Junior

Not sure why this is confusing.  My system info page says, and I cut and paste:  HN7000S Info
Amazingly, as I predicted, the system is working fine again.  The issue I posted about is getting those posted (first post) error messages right after my 'Free Download Time" kicks in.  They went back and forth about what that FDT kicks in.  By watching my meter, I figured out they went to 12am to 5am, my local time.  I KNOW these are my times.  About 2am, when I was still up, the errors went away.  This is why I have scheduled all my overnight downloads (mainly just backing up via Carbonite) to happen at 2:30am.  
My system isn't perfect, I get TCP acceleration errors all the time, but they are usually short in duration, 5-10 minutes.  Some days a few (3-5) times a day, other days, not at all.  NOT weather related.  I have lived with that for years.  I haven't complained.  They are random.  THIS issue seems timed to the start of FDT.  
I LIKE my contract settings (I am out of contract, and don't want to get into a 2 year commitment)  I get 400mb per day, which 95% of the time is fine.  When I don't go over, I get a free token to re-set, every month, up to 6 tokens in reserve.  A couple of times in the past, I have gotten some malware which caused a constant drain on the allowance, I can see the meter going down and nobody is even logged into the net.  So I go through a few tokens, downloading anti-malware and cleaning the system (conduit type malware)  It takes time to locate the problem and find the fix.  If I were on the other programs, my allowance would have disappeared while I was away from the computer, and it would have cost me money to get new allowances.  The last instance of malware cost me 4 (free) tokens to get it fixed.  
As for the new systems being 'faster', that isn't a general belief.  I read the complaint forums also.
Highlighted

At least I know I am not the only one who thinks that way...  I dont want to get into a new contract as well and from what I am hearing, the speeds are about the same no matter which dish or modem you have

I been dealing with all the same issues. Just have gotten used to them. I was wondering about how the free token thing worked. I have not been getting a free token for months. I guess it's be every month my usage has been exceeded on most days! (I have 2 kids in my house under 15 - my sister and her kids recently moved in). I do not allow them on computers often and computers are password protected. They have WiFi connected on phone and tablets for light game use but they always do more behind my back (I am not always around computer to watch usage meter). They do get usage taken away for days at a time when they do download but kids never learn! I need to find a way to block the heavy usage through my router to solve the issues.

I don't like the fact of the new contracts either. But might still look into upgrading if a better plan comes up. HughesNet currently has a 12 month contract (from what I understand) for current customers that upgrade to Gen4. Yes I know its still a contract but i think its 12 months instead of 24. (A HughesNet chat support tech told me it was a 12 month contract)