Hughesnet Community

Free monthly token....What happened to mine at the last data renewal period?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

Free monthly token....What happened to mine at the last data renewal period?

At my last data renewal period, I did not receive my free bonus bytes token as I usually do each month at renewal time. Is this no longer done....or....did I just get missed?
13 REPLIES 13
Liz

Hi jimmie_evlyn,

Welcome back and thanks for posting. The monthly free token is only for Gen3 customers who have very limited bandwidth; you're on Gen4 with a lot more data at your disposal.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Jimmy,

There is no "free bonus bytes token".

There are THREE potential sources from which you can draw data with the main difference being that of time period.

#1: Anytime Bytes (used between the hours of 8am to 2am local)
#2: Bonus Bytes (used between the hours of 2am to 8am local)
#3: Token Bytes
Token bytes are blocks of data that you may purchase at extra cost or are received as "freebies" from support to allow troubleshooting or to resolve other issues.

Gen4, as Liz stated, no longer routinely passed out as they were in the daily refill legacy plans.
Here is a graphic from the Gen4 HT1100 SCC that depicts these three "data buckets"

(click on picture for larger image)
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

Just wondering. I have been on Gen 4 for a long, long time and have rec'd a free token each month until the last October 9 data refil. I was just checking before my next refil time.

Sorry for using the wrong term. I am sure you understood what I meant. Not Bonus Byte, but Token Byte.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Were you using them up as you got them, or have you saved up some? If you still have them, they can be handy if you run out of broadband!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

jimmie,
If you were "collecting" them but not transferring them as they came in there used to be a limit of six as I recall. After that they would just "fall off"

On the other hand perhaps they just finally "caught up" with you 🙂
 As to terms, terms are very important when talking to phone support and it really helps to have the terminology somewhat in the ballpark. Phone support likely would have latched on to the phrase "bonus bytes" and have went into a different direction than what you had intended.
He in the Community it doesn't matter as much as we can follow up better.

jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

I transferred them as they came. I figured if I didn't, one day they would simply just disappear. I also figured I had earned them or they would not be there in the first place. It appeared to me as something they decided to take away from us.
maratsade

Wow, that's great! You now have token bytes to use if you go into FAP or something else happens.  I have something like 10 saved up for a rainy day.  I have never used them but it's nice to see they're there!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

the word "use" in this context is the process of transferring them from the "available" category where they are first deposited to your Token Bucket.
maratsade

I need an English to Hughesnet dictionary. 🙂   Thanks for the clarification, GWalk.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, "using" them just puts them in the "Available" bucket where they will sit month after month and only be actually used when needed. They don't add to the meter amount, was setup that way so even when "used" they don't go away on refill date.
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

Well, you see guys, this seems written to confuse. Nowhere is there a bucket. It does not say bonus bytes in bucket . It only says Bonus bytes available. So....how can I know anything about a bucket?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

This is your "bucket", it holds your "Token Bytes Available". One in the same, just another word for it. We've mentioned "Token Bytes Available" numerous times. Just look at your meter, the Token Bytes Available is your bucket, it holds your bytes, it's a bucket. Sorry if it confused you. Token Bytes have nothing to do with Bonus Bytes, they are separate bytes. Token Bytes will be used during the Anytime period if out of Anytime data. Token bytes will be used during the Bonus time if out of both Anytime and Bonus bites.

jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

I understand completely how this all works, but guys, I was called out for using wrong terminology. I know NOW that you say TOKEN BYTES AVAILABLE are in what you call a bucket. It is only important to me to know they are available. Thanks. "Token bytes available" is good enough for me, very self explanatory. I appreciate all of you who give us help.