cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently used website now does not connect

Legomaniac

Frequently used website now does not connect

Hello I am on a windows 8.1 system. I am suddenly (last two weeks) unable to connect to:  HTTPS://www.myhealth.va.gov.

I have had the router reset by tech support....still no connection.

I have tried using Internet Explorer, FIREFOX, and Google Chrome.  No settings have been changed in the browsers (from when site access actually worked).

Any one else have this HUGESNET feature?

6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

Re: Frequently used website now does not connect

Sounds like a corrupted DNS entry, hiding somewhere in your local network. Just rebooting the modem/router alone won't fix it. To fix it, you have to do everything in the following precise order, so devices can't recover the corrupted DNS entry from one another :

1. Turn off everything that connects to the router by wifi or ethernet: computers, phones, etc.

2. Disconnect power from the modem/router by unpluging from the wall socket.

3. Wait a 60 seconds then reconnect power to the modem/router.

4. Wait another 60 seconds (until the modem system ready light is lit) then boot up everything that was previously connected to the router.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Legomaniac

I just tried it and it wouldn't work for me, either.  I then flushed my DNS cache and it worked. 

If after performing the steps laid out by Mark you still can't get on the site, you may want to try flushing the DNS cache in your computer and then open a new browser page and try again.  The steps given by Mark should do this, but just in case.  

To do so, open your command prompt in Windows 8.1 by pressing the Windows key and R at the same time, then typing cmd or cmd.exe and clicking OK (or pressing Enter).  When the command prompt is up, enter "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes, then hit enter.  And yes, there is a space between the g and the forward slash.  It should give you a confirmation that the cache has been successfully flushed.  Then X out of the command prompt, open a new web page, and try to go to the website. 

Hope this helps.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Amanda

Hi Legomaniac,

Welcome to our community! We apologize for any inconvenience, I know its insurance sign-up season so it's important to get this working for you. Were you able to try Mark or GabeU's recommendations? 

Thanks,

Amanda

dale1
New Poster

Can’t connect securely to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner. 

Same here call Microsoft they told me to contact internet provider now how do ypou do that/

MarkJFine
Professor

@dale1 wrote:

Can’t connect securely to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner. 

Same here call Microsoft they told me to contact internet provider now how do ypou do that/

TLS version is not the issue here. I was able to bring it up on the first try. GabeU was likewise able to bring it up after clearing his DNS.

<sarcasm_font>Although, imagine the thought of the VA having an out of date web page... </sarcasm_font>

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor